USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would put money on Foxborough being a host venue. Boston is a very popular city with European visitors, and as there will be many thousands heading over, all with plenty of money to spend, I suspect that famously sports mad city will be near the top of the list! And if the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland make the finals, you can bet they will have at least one game up there!

I’m glad New York got the nod for the final, one thing I remember from 94 was most players, fans, and reporters said Giants Stadium should have got the final over the Rose Bowl as it was a far superior atmosphere for a game of football.

Canada

Edmonton

Montreal

Toronto

Mexico

Guadalajara 

Mexico City

Monterrey 

United States

Atlanta

Boston

Dallas

Kansas City

Los Angeles 

Miami

New York

San Francisco 

Seattle

Washington 

3 minutes ago, willmorris said:

I think I'm one of the few Americans who would have rather seen the tournament be awarded to Morocco. Let the little guy have it for once.

I second this, America has so much else to offer, besides the fact that we’re the only ones who call it soccer. I am excited for it coming to Dallas though. 

Excellent!

47 minutes ago, willmorris said:

I think I'm one of the few Americans who would have rather seen the tournament be awarded to Morocco. Let the little guy have it for once.

The problem is they don't have enough space for the teams, the staff and the fans. It could be possible with a 32 team World Cup but at 48, you start to stretch the capabilities of most small countries now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, alxy8s said:

That's fascinating -- to bid on the headache that the Olympics would have been, but not be interested in the relatively simple hosting of a World Cup match.

Both Chicago and Phoenix/Glendale had concerns over the financial issues which FIFA and the bid committee failed to give greater detail on.  Minneapolis was worried about costs as they would have to pay for a "Fan Fest" for a month, in addition to the possibility of hosting as many as six games.  

Vancouver backed out due to failure to include tax waivers and to sign agreements under Swiss law, which FIFA requires.

I think Fox gets the rights to the 2026 World Cup too since FIFA moved the 2022 World Cup to November-December so now we can look forward to Alexi Lalas with a fake red wig running around in his 1994 denim World Cup jersey. As long as the national team isn't doing the same I'll be happy. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think Fox gets the rights to the 2026 World Cup too since FIFA moved the 2022 World Cup to November-December so now we can look forward to Alexi Lalas with a fake red wig running around in his 1994 denim World Cup jersey. As long as the national team isn't doing the same I'll be happy. 

FOX, telemundo, and Bell (for Canada) were given 2026 rights for the same price as 2018.2022 back in January 2017.

51 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Both Chicago and Phoenix/Glendale had concerns over the financial issues which FIFA and the bid committee failed to give greater detail on.  Minneapolis was worried about costs as they would have to pay for a "Fan Fest" for a month, in addition to the possibility of hosting as many as six games.  

Vancouver backed out due to failure to include tax waivers and to sign agreements under Swiss law, which FIFA requires.

WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL (yes, read in Bill Cipher's voice)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

33 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL WELL (yes, read in Bill Cipher's voice)

Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority was handling the bid as they operate University of Phoenix Stadium and only the stadium. The arena and the city of Glendale had nothing to do it as AZSTA handled tourism for Marcopia County as well.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Don't forget, though, that Bob Kraft is the "honorary chairman" of the bid committee board. One would think that's a big advantage for Foxboro, even if it's lacking otherwise. 

4 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Robert Kraft is an honorary director of the board for the United 2026 bid.....because of this, I assume Foxborough is a lock.

Robert Kraft being granted honorary chairmanship of the United 2026 bid was a travesty.

The primary - indeed, one could argue only - reason he was tabbed for said position is that it was granted to him by former USSF President Sunil Gulati. Gulati has been a Kraft toady since Bob employed him as an (ineffectual) consultant regarding the operation of the New England Revolution under the grandiose title "President of Kraft Soccer Group". With Gulati's removal from his sole chairmanship of the United 2026 Bid Committee back in March and his replacement by the trio of Carlos Cordeiro, Steve Reed, and Decio de Maria, I was hoping that the bid's new leadership might have the chutzpah to leave Kraft hanging when it came time to dole out World Cup 2026 matches.

Frankly, it has become abundantly clear over the course of the past 23 years that Bob Kraft's investment in and operation of a Major League Soccer franchise has been undertaken solely with an eye towards filling empty days on the Gillette Stadium event calendar and keeping said facility on the radar of those soccer executives responsible for the scheduling of international tournaments and high-profile friendlies. Including Gillette Stadium amongst the 2026 World Cup host venues rewards Kraft's disinterested stewardship as investor/operator of the New England Revolution. The guy shouldn't be granted such a boon in exchange for turning the Greater Boston market into a Major League Soccer backwater.      

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Blame Chicago for backing out...not the bid committee for leaving.

Maybe both parties should have figured out a way to make it worth it for a global city with tons of immigrants to have World Cup soccer. If New York can do it and Kansas City can do it, I think Chicago can pull it off.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, willmorris said:

Have you seen what's been happening in Qatar?

6 hours ago, alxy8s said:

That's fascinating -- to bid on the headache that the Olympics would have been, but not be interested in the relatively simple hosting of a World Cup match.

Selfishly hoping that Atlanta gets chosen for group stage and that USMNT plays there. I'd be willing to go anywhere to see us play at home the in World Cup (too young to remember '94, so this is very exciting). Mercedes-Benz shouldn't be the crown jewel of American stadiums at that point; hoping not to have to shell out for the final rounds there, not that I'm too optimistic about the team getting that far.

2009 was a long time ago.  Also Soldier Field's field remains a trashfire.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So, it would appear that the United 2026 bid has proposed staging three matches on opening day of the 2026 World Cup, with each of the co-hosting nations having one of the matches taking place on its soil. While the USSF was hoping that the Rose Bowl in Pasadena would play host to the "main" opening match, Mexican federation president Decio de Maria is lobbying for Mexico City's Estadio Azteca to be given that honor.

Estadio Azteca in Mexico City in plans to open 2026 World Cup  

6 hours ago, willmorris said:

The little guy already has it for the 2022 World Cup though. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

2 hours ago, Needschat said:

Four hour drive and I have Toronto, Montreal, New Jersey, Boston, and Philadelphia.  

No chance Philadelphia gets selected.

12 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The little guy already has it for the 2022 World Cup though. 

Little in size, but not in stature.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived