(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

Oh come on. There were three other goals scored by the Ducks, it's not like the goal was the tying goal with 0.1 seconds left and the Flames had a 4-1 lead!

There was no real good angle to definitively show the Thompson goal was or was not a high stick. It was only a goal because it was called a goal on the ice.

You also can't say it should have been a 4-3 win for the Flames because that's not how the world works. Everything changes if that goal wasn't counted as a goal.

IEI5Tg1.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like, I do think there were a couple of bad calls in the 3rd, but when you as a team are just getting 1 shot in the entire period, crappy referees are the least of your problems.

EDIT: Upon actually looking at the box score, the Flames did get more than one shot in the 3rd; 8 in fact, to the Ducks' 12. I don't remember which CBC broadcaster said they only had 1 shot, but evidently they consult a box score about as often as I do. :P

47 minutes ago, worcat said:

Seems like the NHL really wants an Anaheim vs. Pittsburgh finals this year.

You're joking right? The Ducks had zero power plays in that game. Calgary had three in the first 8 minutes. Calgary played 61:30 of playoff hockey and committed zero penalties? Please.

---

That was satisfying.

One more. Close this nonsense out.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

If the Ducks do win the cup, I hope they draw enough support to have a proper parade instead of another sparsely attended rally in the Honda Center parking lot.  That was a bigger farce than naming a professional team after a Disney movie.

5 minutes ago, Morgo said:

If the Ducks do win the cup, I hope they draw enough support to have a proper parade instead of another sparsely attended rally in the Honda Center parking lot.  That was a bigger farce than naming a professional team after a Disney movie.

Haha stay golden, Morgo ;) 

Celebration.jpg.32803864daceb9aeb6d1aac37c345a34.jpg

I'd look for a picture of the Flames last Cup parade/rally, but the internet didn't exist then.

And I'd look for the Canucks last Cup parade/rally, but it doesn't exist, and if it did, it'd just be engulfed in, well, flames.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

39 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I'd look for a picture of the Flames last Cup parade/rally, but the internet didn't exist then.

And I'd look for the Canucks last Cup parade/rally, but it doesn't exist, and if it did, it'd just be engulfed in, well, flames.

lol-duck.gif

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Whatever.  This series could very easily be 3-0 Flames so I wouldn't be planning any parking lot rallies with complimentary potato chips anytime soon.  Win one at home, end the curse in game 5, and hopefully the winner of San Jose/Edmonton has better luck with officiating and bounces.

13 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

While I was surprised they didn't call for the play to stop right away, I also get why they didn't stop play.  This is to prevent flopping or diving or outright feigning injury to end an offensive possession.  If there's no penalty as a result of whatever injury, play on until the injured player's team has possession of the puck.  It's not that different than play continuing in other sports while an injured guy is on the field of play.

Yeah and that's covered in the first part of the rule. It's up to the officials' discretion what an "obvious" injury would be that would need an immediate whistle. I thought it was incredibly obvious that play needed to stop. There's also an unsportsmanlike penalty for diving and faking an injury would fall under that. That Pittsburgh scored because of this is just so Pittsburgh.

I think moving forward the league needs to look into a review for this type of situation. The penguins score, let's go to video, yeah that dude's face is broken because he took a shot to his eye socket and it's not fair to ask him to get off the ice, nor should he be moving at all, and it's not fair to ask a team to defend around his body while they're all waiting for a whistle that never came nor does it look good when we're trying to display some semblance of interest in player safety. If we can review ticky tack offsides that violate the spirit of the rule and rewind the clock then we can review whether a player was actually injured rather than just faking it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 hours ago, Morgo said:

Whatever.  This series could very easily be 3-0 Flames so I wouldn't be planning any parking lot rallies with complimentary potato chips anytime soon.  Win one at home, end the curse in game 5, and hopefully the winner of San Jose/Edmonton has better luck with officiating and bounces.

:huh:

10 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

You're joking right? The Ducks had zero power plays in that game. Calgary had three in the first 8 minutes. Calgary played 61:30 of playoff hockey and committed zero penalties? Please.

It seems like there's a new team to pile on in the West now that Chicago's down for the count.

I would so enjoy a Pittsburgh-Aneheim SCF, just to watch everyone's reactions.

NSFCvyu.png

5 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

WOW Preds.

I was so worried, especially when Josi got his cross-check penalty, right after the Hawks scored on the PP.

I have no idea what was said during that second intermission, but the Preds came out, took control of the pace, and did the work. It was an intense game.

Not sure what's going on but the Hawks look tired.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

9 hours ago, Morgo said:

tenor.gif

sig.png

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Half the series are 3-0. This is really fun, you guys. If I wanted to the watch the NBA playoffs I'd watch the NBA playoffs. 

And all of the West could be 3-0 if Edmonton had won in OT...

Also If Minnesota had scored the first goal in Game 1, this series could be the complete opposite... I don't think I've ever seen or even heard of another team outplaying the opponent in almost every way, and be down 3-0 in the series... 

:censored:ing Jake Allen... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I think moving forward the league needs to look into a review for this type of situation. The penguins score, let's go to video, yeah that dude's face is broken because he took a shot to his eye socket and it's not fair to ask him to get off the ice, nor should he be moving at all, and it's not fair to ask a team to defend around his body while they're all waiting for a whistle that never came nor does it look good when we're trying to display some semblance of interest in player safety. If we can review ticky tack offsides that violate the spirit of the rule and rewind the clock then we can review whether a player was actually injured rather than just faking it. 

What's the line of demarcation, though?

I don't think reviewing injuries will be such a great idea, because teams will take advantage of this and feign injury.  "Hey, go down to the ice and hold your face, then hang out in the locker room for a little bit, take a dump if you need to, so that we can make this look good for a review".

10 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

What's the line of demarcation, though?

Simple. If a guy is bleeding out of his face because he got hit with a shot and the game should've been stopped then you wipe off the ill-gotten goal and rewind the clock. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

---

That was satisfying.

One more. Close this nonsense out.

My statement is in the sense of ratings. Two fairly well known and popular teams in the finals would be the NHL's wet dream

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

6 minutes ago, worcat said:

My statement is in the sense of ratings. Two fairly well known and popular teams in the finals would be the NHL's wet dream

Not to throw shade at the good people of Anaheim, but the Ducks/Sens Finals drew one of the lowest ratings in years. Before or since. So the NHL won't be helping the Ducks out in a ploy to spike ratings.

49 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I don't think I've ever seen or even heard of another team outplaying the opponent in almost every way, and be down 3-0 in the series... 

I haven't watched the entire series so far, but it doesn't look like Minnesota is clearly the better team from what I have seen.

People warned you about Bruce in the playoffs.

People warned you the Wild looked bad down the stretch.

Don't say you didn't have time to prepare yourself.

42 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Not to throw shade at the good people of Anaheim, but the Ducks/Sens Finals drew one of the lowest ratings in years. Before or since. So the NHL won't be helping the Ducks out in a ploy to spike ratings.

I haven't watched the entire series so far, but it doesn't look like Minnesota is clearly the better team from what I have seen.

People warned you about Bruce in the playoffs.

People warned you the Wild looked bad down the stretch.

Don't say you didn't have time to prepare yourself.

None of this is a Boudreau Curse, or anything like that... It's Jake Allen, and the Dead Puck Blues... The Wild have out shot the Blues considerably, have one a majority of the faceoffs, and have pretty much dominated puck possession (No this isn't one of those Carolina Hurricanes are better cause analytics things...). The whole series is being determined by Jake Allen... 

The Wild have out shot the Blues 117-79 in the series, are out attempting the Blues 228-142, have won 133 FO compared to 89 for the Blues for a 59.9 FOW% for Minnesota while only a 40.1 FOW% for the Blues... It's literally Jake Allen that's winning this series. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived