(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

Oh goody. If Washington beats Toronto in 6/7, they get their old buddies in the Penguins. AGAIN.

I'm convinced the NHL Playoffs were structured this way to get Pittsburgh to make Washington their little b. (As if they hadn't done that enough times before...)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Not really.

Oilers? Blues?  Sharks?

I think we know the Ducks are going to the finals.

Just like you picked the Hawks to win it all? :P

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

12 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Sharks looked they had no business being in that extra frame.

Probably the most accurate thing you've typed in this thread. Sharks are old tired bags of crap. Oilers will win either way and this kind of result will be the norm unless they jettison Thornton and Marleau and start bringing up more of the Barracuda kids.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

13 hours ago, worcat said:

It's what we all do. It's what makes NHL playoff hockey so abusive to one's self.

I was just discussing this with a coworker (who is a Pens fan). Playoff hockey ends in general disappointment for 15 of the 16 fanbases. The one that does win, however, has achieved the pinnacle of success, making anything less than another cup, next year, subpar.

This is one of the few advantages of being a Predators fan. Yes, it’s true that we don’t have any banners, or much history/success. I fully acknowledge those things, but we swept the #1 western seed out of the playoffs in a decisive manner. We’d never swept anyone, or even won a series against the Blackhawks, before. The same Blackhawks that talked like Nashville was just a pit stop on their way to another conference final (yet again). Last night’s win felt amazing, and we celebrated more than a fan of a “more historically successful” team probably thinks that we should, and that’s okay. We, as a team, and fanbase, have never been in this position before. This win means more to us, right now, than another Conference Championship would to the Penguins. Why? Because once you’ve seen your team hoist the cup, nothing short of another Finals victory will be as meaningful. Winning a championship is amazing, but it does have the unfortunate side effect of taking the luster and wonder out of the smaller accomplishments.

That’s why I brought a broom in to work with me today, that’s why Blue Jackets fans are disappointed, but able to still relish the regular season they had, and why Maple Leafs fans are eventually going to throw the parade of the century, when (not if) Matthews and Co. win the Cup. It’s a new experience for us, as a sports fan.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

6 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I was just discussing this with a coworker (who is a Pens fan). Playoff hockey ends in general disappointment for 15 of the 16 fanbases. The one that does win, however, has achieved the pinnacle of success, making anything less than another cup, next year, subpar.

This is one of the few advantages of being a Predators fan. Yes, it’s true that we don’t have any banners, or much history/success. I fully acknowledge those things, but we swept the #1 western seed out of the playoffs in a decisive manner. We’d never swept anyone, or even won a series against the Blackhawks, before. The same Blackhawks that talked like Nashville was just a pit stop on their way to another conference final (yet again). Last night’s win felt amazing, and we celebrated more than a fan of a “more historically successful” team probably thinks that we should, and that’s okay. We, as a team, and fanbase, have never been in this position before. This win means more to us, right now, than another Conference Championship would to the Penguins. Why? Because once you’ve seen your team hoist the cup, nothing short of another Finals victory will be as meaningful. Winning a championship is amazing, but it does have the unfortunate side effect of taking the luster and wonder out of the smaller accomplishments.

That’s why I brought a broom in to work with me today, that’s why Blues fans are disappointed, but able to still relish the regular season they had, and why Maple Leafs fans are eventually going to throw the parade of the century, when (not if) Matthews and Co. win the Cup. It’s a new experience for us, as a sports fan.

And that is the understatement of the century!

BTW... I'm really loving that non-Leaf fans are saying "when not if" in terms of Toronto Cup aspirations. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

1 minute ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

That’s why I brought a broom in to work with me today, that’s why Blues fans are disappointed, but able to still relish the regular season they had, and why Maple Leafs fans are eventually going to throw the parade of the century, when (not if) Matthews and Co. win the Cup. It’s a new experience for us, as a sports fan.

This is what was so fun about the Blue Jackets season. We've never had a season like this so it was all new and unexpected. Fans of recent cup winners or a snakebitten group like the Capitals fanbase all season were like "jeez guys settle down" or "they'll lose in the second round", but when you haven't been jaded and/or spoiled and/or burnt before it was just really fun. You think we'll lose in the second round?! I would've been thrilled to lose in the second round. 

My sister lives in Pittsburgh. She told me her coworker who has season tickets sold his tickets to Game 5 because "the next round will be more exciting". Please let me never take a playoff game for granted like that guy. If the world was fair that guy's teams would never win. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

19 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

If the world was fair that guy's teams would never win. 

Thats such a true principle of life. Pens fans went 16 years between their 90s run and the intro to Crosby's reign. Sure, maybe some fans did savor it more since there were murmurs of relocation, but Pittsburgh has been relevant for the last ten years. In a just world, teams like the Jackets, Wild, Blues and Canes would get their moments in the sun and play meaningful hockey for a decade in late May and June. It's kind of true what they say, you don't know how well off you are until you see the plight of others.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

48 minutes ago, charger77 said:

BTW... I'm really loving that non-Leaf fans are saying "when not if" in terms of Toronto Cup aspirations. 

Just making the playoffs, this season, would have been huge, for Toronto. The showing they've made, though? Give these kids a few years experience, make a few choice off-season signings, and they could be a decade-long powerhouse.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

All this is why I'm trying to enjoy these playoffs as much as I can. The Oilers have been ass for all my life and so finally getting somewhere and being able to enjoy it before the inevitable jaded playoff mindset develops is nice.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

2 minutes ago, The Six said:

10-year-olds are allowed here?.

17. Should have said all my hockey watching life, but the point stands. Not like they were really a powerhouse in the early 2000s anyway.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Last night’s win felt amazing, and we celebrated more than a fan of a “more historically successful” team probably thinks that we should, and that’s okay. We, as a team, and fanbase, have never been in this position before. This win means more to us, right now, than another Conference Championship would to the Penguins. Why? Because once you’ve seen your team hoist the cup, nothing short of another Finals victory will be as meaningful. Winning a championship is amazing, but it does have the unfortunate side effect of taking the luster and wonder out of the smaller accomplishments.

The Predators are playing some scary good hockey right now and the fans should be celebrating with an impressive sweep of the Blackhawks. Now that you've had time to celebrate and digest the success, the fight isn't over though. You have to bury that emotion deep down so it doesn't blow up in your face if Nashville gets eliminated. Building up all that excitement just to have it come crashing down will really hurt. As a Blues fan, I've felt this year after year so at this point, there is no celebrating until it's over. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

I'm going back to take part in the celebration if I ever see the drought end. I'll pick ya up on the way :P 

1 hour ago, The Six said:

And I'm eternally grateful.

The Bruins are playing like this is a regular season game in the middle of November. If they keep this up, they're toast.

And Wideman goes absolute knee-to-knee with Krejci. No call. #OTTAWATYPICAL.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

35 minutes ago, Brass said:

And Wideman goes absolute knee-to-knee with Krejci. No call. 

It's K, Kadri hit Ovi below the belt in the first, Ovi couldn't put weight on it skating to the dressing room, and ol' Nazem got a 2 minute minor for it. 

EDIT: And Kadri just flopped to earn the Leafs another power play. Like I know I'm salty rn, and tbh I like a lot of the Leafs' players, but goodness I hate Kadri. Komarov too. 

spacer.png

Archived