the admiral

(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

43 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The Canucks fan turned Flames fan is happy the Oilers advanced... I'm at a loss.

Beats having to sit through an all-California series.  When a Canadian team wins the cup and ends the drought, I'll worry about divisional rivalries.

16 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Beats having to sit through an all-California series.  When a Canadian team wins the cup and ends the drought, I'll worry about divisional rivalries.

Why?

2 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Why?

One of the 14 teams he roots for was beaten by a California team, so now he's bitter.

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Why?

Why would an all-Alberta series have been bad? No reason, but it wouldn't have stopped Sixer from bitching about it. Sometimes peeps just have their rage buttons. Roll with the punches.

6 hours ago, worcat said:

So how'd that work out for Chicago and Minnesota? :)

There's a difference in "checking out" and just trading a player that was going to leave no matter what. Army knew he had to trade shatty22 while he could atleast get something for him. 

29 out of 30 teams end the year disappointed.

Shattenkirk was exactly the kind of player that Cup contenders trade for to help them win. Teams give up part of their future to get guys like that, with probably similar chances of re-signing said player. The Blues had that guy without giving anything up, and they assumed the same risk of losing the player that most deadline-deal teams assume. Sorry, the GM packed it in. It's worked out so far for them, but they traded "good now" for "hopefully good in the future". That is the opposite of what playoff teams do. It doesn't matter that he was going to leave; they could have kept him for the playoffs, traded his negotiation rights, and gotten something (admittedly less) for him. I don't hate the Blues, but I don't see how you can spin trading a top-4 defenseman for a young center who had 3 points in 26 NHL games to that point as somehow being a good thing for this year.

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

When a Canadian team wins the cup and ends the drought, I'll worry about divisional rivalries.

Bet you're one of those "Well, an American team won it, but their roster is over 50% Canadian" people, too.  Classic little brother reasoning.

I will never understand the mentality of "I'd laugh like hell if my rival lost all 82 of their games, but I'll cheer for their success in the playoffs".  Countries don't win the Stanley Cup, individual clubs do.  To get any measure of national pride out of this is still one of the dumber things I've ever heard in sports.  As a Georgia fan, why would I want to see Florida or Alabama win championships?  As a Braves fan, why would I want to see the Nationals or Mets win the World Series?  Would a Falcons fan ever want to see the Saints do well?  There's no such thing as Divisional or Conference Pride in pro sports, and Conference Pride in college sports is a dumb thing, too.

When's the last time Canada won the Stanley Cup?

A tradition unlike no other...

The Sharks elimination, on NBCSN.

[/JimNantz]

IMG_2205.JPG

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Leafs have pushed back against the Capitals all series. They've refused to lie down or be intimidated by a team everyone said would walk all over them. They need to win two in a row to advance. They've done it before. They can do it again. The Toronto Maple Leafs can beat the Washington Capitals. I didn't truly believe that at the start of this series. I do now.

About this - almost everyone that talks about this series for even 10 minutes has said how well the Leafs' kids have held up, how well they've handled adversity, etc. - and rightfully so. For someone looking in on this series from the outside, it makes sense. 

But as a Caps fan, this has been totally expected. From the moment the Leafs scored 5 mins into G1 I knew this would be just like last year, where the Caps have a real fight on their hands in Round 1. It's so Caps to have to really grind in Round 1 when nobody expects them to. 

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Bet you're one of those "Well, an American team won it, but their roster is over 50% Canadian" people, too.  Classic little brother reasoning.

The "no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since 1993" thing wouldn't be a big deal if :censored: American fans didn't celebrate every time the last Canadian team is eliminated. 

You can't have it both ways.

10 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

I knew it was gonna happen but it still sucks. God I hate this team sometimes. But whatever, get young and get speed because you old sacks of :censored: were way too :censored:ing slow the whole :censored:ing series and gave up breakaways all :censored:ing day. Release your stupid :censored:ing fan favorites and get young so you can compete a few years down the road. Or just keep suckin dick, who gives a :censored:?

Stupid :censored:ing Sharks. Couldn't even keep the second round choker label around. 

I find it very quaint that the Sharks still make you mad when they get bounced early in the playoffs. Ahh, to be young again. 

Through all of that, though? You are kinda right. I'm going to pretty annoyed if Jumbo doesn't decide to hang em up and comes back to hobble through yet another season. Marleau can kick those same rocks, too. For as big of "Legends" as they are, they've both completely worn out their welcome. 

15 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The "no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since 1993" thing wouldn't be a big deal if :censored: American fans didn't celebrate every time the last Canadian team is eliminated. 

I am an American fan and I can assure you that if it came down to a Leafs/Rangers playoff series or an Oilers/Penguins cup final, I'm rooting for the Canadian club. I have ZERO national pride when it's not the Olympics or some other type of international competition. I rooted the hell out of Vancouver when they played Boston in the cup final. I don't care if the club resides in ?? or ??.

Nationality as a rooting interest is goofy, but it's one of my personal tiebreakers when two teams I'm generally ambivalent towards face off. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

So eliminate the phony national pride towards a club team mantra, and you won't have jagoff fans mocking that.

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

Through all of that, though? You are kinda right. I'm going to pretty annoyed if Jumbo doesn't decide to hang em up and comes back to hobble through yet another season. Marleau can kick those same rocks, too. For as big of "Legends" as they are, they've both completely worn out their welcome. 

I've wanted that since the reverse sweep in 2014. Have a fire sale, and perform a personnel and culture shakeup. Give those guys a chance to win a Cup with other teams, and focus on getting younger. The rebuild may backfire, but it beats the pursuit of winning with these "Legends."

You gotta know when to call it quits and rebuild. The Sharks don't know how to do that.

25 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

So eliminate the phony national pride towards a club team mantra, and you won't have jagoff fans mocking that.

American "jagoff fans" don't need our help to be unreasonably patriotic and jingoistic ;) 

Teams listed in order of how much I'm jinxing them by rooting for them:

1. Leafs

2. Caps

3. Perds

4. Blues

5 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I will never understand the mentality of "I'd laugh like hell if my rival lost all 82 of their games, but I'll cheer for their success in the playoffs".  Countries don't win the Stanley Cup, individual clubs do.

I can cheer for whoever I want.  The fact it irks the people counting down the Canadian team eliminations just makes it that more appealing.  Go Sens and go Leafs.

You can cheer for whoever you want, but a Stanley Cup win for one of the seven Canadian teams isn't a win for the other six nor does it mean a win for all Canadians.

If the Flames and Oilers situations were reversed? You bet your ass I'm cheering against the Flames. F*** 'em.

The delay of game penalty for flipping the puck over the glass is dddduuuummmmmbbbbbbbbb.