(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

2 minutes ago, Brass said:

The delay of game penalty for flipping the puck over the glass is dddduuuummmmmbbbbbbbbb.

Seems fair enough to me. Keep it in play.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

29 out of 30 teams end the year disappointed.

I don't see how you can spin trading a top-4 defenseman for a young center who had 3 points in 26 NHL games to that point as somehow being a good thing for this year.

I enjoyed having Shatty as he was an offensive work horse on the PP unit but he plays poor defense. Blues have played better without him. Sanford hasn't been as productive as Shatty but he's come in and played extremely well and thrown around his weight. Would have preferred to get Drouin from the rumored deal they had worked out last season but the Blues thought they had a better opportunity last year which kept Shatty, Backes, Brouwer ect.I would have preferred the Blues "check out" last season and trade those guys than lose them for nothing.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

53 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

You can cheer for whoever you want, but a Stanley Cup win for one of the seven Canadian teams isn't a win for the other six nor does it mean a win for all Canadians.

Someone's salty ;)

Anaheim/Edmonton is gonna be interesting.

The Oilers are playing with house money- nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Lot of pressure on Anaheim now that the 1-2 teams got eliminated and now all Western roads go through the Pond.

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

To get any measure of national pride out of this is still one of the dumber things I've ever heard in sports. 

As a Georgia fan, why would I want to see Florida or Alabama win championships? 

As a Braves fan, why would I want to see the Nationals or Mets win the World Series? 

Would a Falcons fan ever want to see the Saints do well?

1. Whatever. I think it would be neat to see a Canadian team win the cup solely because I think it would be neat to see a Canadian team win the cup. Nothing more to it than that. 

2. Because that's the only way you're ever going to get to see a CFB championship? :P

3. Change #2 to World Series title. 

4. Awww...the little rivalry that could. B)

BB52Big.jpg

47 minutes ago, MiK said:

Root for teams that haven't won it before. That's how it should be.

Exactly. I wanted to see Columbus and Minnesota win one. That didn't happen. I wanted to see San Jose win last year too. Still hoping for Nashville and Ottawa.

Can't say I'm cheering for Washington and/or St. Louis, though. They've had over 40 years to win one and still haven't.

Also, I'm counting Toronto and Edmonton in this. Their cup wins and glory years were so long ago. I'm cheering for them both. Toronto and Edmonton in the finals! You heard it here first!

5 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Can't say I'm cheering for Washington and/or St. Louis, though. They've had over 40 years to win one and still haven't.

Also, I'm counting Toronto and Edmonton in this. Their cup wins and glory years were so long ago. I'm cheering for them both. Toronto and Edmonton in the finals! You heard it here first!

Hypocritical much?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Now that the Habs are eliminated, I'm fully on board to support the Predators. It's going to be something if Subban wins the Cup at year one of the trade. If PK dominates, Bergevin is going to look even worse that he has last June, and I won't hear the end of it on social media.

54 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

To be fair, I never liked the Blues or Caps much. Never had anything against the Leafs and Oilers.

Well that's fine is you dislike a team. However to agree with wanting a new team to win their first cup - and then say you don't want two teams (who have never won a cup) to win.Then follow it up with wanting two teams that have won cups, but have been in a drought to win? Huh...

To each their own.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

So far, only one of the teams I had coming out of the first round has actually won their series. That either means I'm bad at this or these playoffs have been weird.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

2 hours ago, FGM13 said:

If the Flames and Oilers situations were reversed? You bet your ass I'm cheering against the Flames. F*** 'em.

Which is a fair stance to take.  Back in 2006 I cheered against the Oilers every step of the way but now that 10 years have past, I really wish they had pulled it off.  Maybe if they didn't lose to Carolina (of all teams) it'd be different.

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Seems fair enough to me. Keep it in play.

It was a dumb rule designed to solve a problem that didn't exist. Was intentionally throwing it over the glass ever really a problem for the NHL? No, it wasn't. You know what's a better rule? Call a penalty on a guy for sticking another man in the balls or mutilating a defenseman's figure regardless of whether they are a "face of the league" or not.

Anyway, who would have thought you could lose a series by going 0-3 at home? Ugh. Bruins played way too inconsistently. Many are blaming the injuries on defense, but when your top players fail to show up in key moments, maybe it's time to look at the players who were playing and scrutinize that. I didn't catch the OT goal (had a men's league game tonight) but I figured Pastrnak factored into it through a dumb move in the offensive zone. I was half right. What an awful penalty to take in overtime. I wish Peter Chiraelli was around to send Pastrnak to Vancouver for a gallon of yak milk and some ECHL character guys.

I certainly didn't expect the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, but I was very excited about the prospect of a Rangers/Bruins series; they always have fantastic games with each other. I think out of the last 25 games they've played against each other, 22 or 23 of those games were decided by one goal.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm just saying. A Ducks fan in Western Canada ought to be more open minded about how other fans choose to follow the playoffs ;)

You can choose who you want to cheer for, that doesn't really matter to me nor what I was really going for.

I was more meaning I personally don't believe there is one "Great Canadian Win" in the NHL or any other non-international, non-club competition. If the Oilers win the Stanley Cup this year it's not a win for Canada, it's a win for the Oilers.

The gif was in response to the salty comment, don't really know why I'd be salty.

IEI5Tg1.png

29 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

ou can choose who you want to cheer for, that doesn't really matter to me nor what I was really going for.

I was more meaning I personally don't believe there is one "Great Canadian Win" in the NHL or any other non-international, non-club competition. If the Oilers win the Stanley Cup this year it's not a win for Canada, it's a win for the Oilers.

These two statements can be seen as being in contradiction.

Say the Oilers are the only Canadian team left in it at some point. And say I chose to cheer for the Oilers for the rest of their run because I, as a Canadian hockey fan, want to see a Canadian team succeed.

How is that "wrong"? At most you can say you disagree with my reasoning, but if that's what I feel in my gut? Well then, that's my rationale and my opinion. It's no more irrational than you rooting for the Ducks despite being an Albertan. And to be perfectly fair? Neither are no more irrational than cheering for the Flames if you happen to be from the Calgary area.

Sports are inherently irrational. They're private businesses engaged in competition that's ultimately meaningless. We invest ourselves in them because we're fans, and that's ok. It just means we're just that. Fanatics. And there's a degree of irrationality attached to that. So root for whoever you want, for whatever reasons you want.

My issue comes when people decide to see fans being fans in their own way and take it upon themselves to dictate to them. Be it someone telling a Canadian hockey fan who wants to see the last Canadian team do well that their reasoning is wrong, or someone telling a pessimistic fan after a brutal loss that their pessimism means they have a "loser mentality."

It all just reeks of unwarranted ego and an undeserved sense of superiority. Don't like my rationale for who I wan to win the Stanley Cup? Too bad. Don't give me grief over it, and I won't give you grief over yours. And we'll all be good :) 

Archived