(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

I have no words. Only deep, venomous hate. 

EDIT: Hearing Pierre McGuire wax poetic about the Penguins doesn't exactly help either. 

spacer.png

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

If that's the best effort the Caps can put together, they're screwed.

For the first period, you are right. But after Ovi's goal in the second period imo the Caps were the better team. Sure, the Pens' goals all pretty much cam off of defensive lapses, but one thing you cannot accuse this team of (at least for half the game) is lack of effort. I saw a team accused (rightly) of mental fragility time and time again find it within themselves to climb out of a 2-0 hole. Sure, the Pens won, and sure, they'll probably win this series, but I was proud of our performance last night. 

spacer.png

15 straight minutes of high danger chances that don't go in for the Capitals, the Penguins convert on their one opportunity at the other end. Where've I seen that before? The Caps were taking it to them in the third and looked better, but never underestimate a Pittsburgh team's ability to get a bounce/call/lottery pick to fall their way at just the right time. It's annoying. 

Also, three Penguins are allowed to thug a Capitals player in the corner after the whistle, but Justin Williams is given the penalty. Okay. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

39 minutes ago, MiK said:

Notice to the Wild: Jake Allen is not unbeatable.

The kid was great, tonight. Relatively back and forth game. The Preds had penalty issues, and the Blues capitalized. Good job, Blues, go Preds!

On a side note, what is everyone else's take, on the Fiddler major? I agree, that it should have been a penalty, I'm just not convinced it was egregious, or one-sided, enough for a 5-minute major. Not questioning it enough that I'm up in arms, about it, though. Just feeling iffy, and wondering if it's because it's against my team.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Also, three Penguins are allowed to thug a Capitals player in the corner after the whistle, but Justin Williams is given the penalty. Okay. 

We get it, you hate the Pens / Pittsburgh, and it's fine but...

Washington had two of these last night, and neither were called.

It isn't that the league is cashing checks from Mario, or for that matter Ted.  Officiating during the playoffs is a gong show, and has been for years.  If anything it's another case of OITGDNHL.  

The Oilers had absolutely no business winning that game, but Cam Talbot is one hell of a goalie. We now hold a 2-0 lead in the series going back home, I never thought I'd say that.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Sometimes the bounces just don't go your way. See: Game 1 - Getzlaf breaks stick on 5-on-3 when he probably could've broken up a goal, Winning goal from behind the net off a defenseman's foot; Game 2 - two or three posts, squeaking through Talbot's leg and nicking the post, falling down on a potential breakaway. These games could've been won.

Anyways... go take two in Edmonton.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

2 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

History is not on the Ducks side.

The Edmonton Oilers have never lost a playoff series in franchise history when they go up 2-0.

Great. What the Oilers did in the 80s is totally relevant to this Ducks-Oilers series this year.

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Great. What the Oilers did in the 80s is totally relevant to this Ducks-Oilers series this year.

Oilers also went up 2-0 on the Mighty Ducks in the 2006 Western Conference Final, as the Oilers won in 5.

But that's only relevant to Getzlaf and Perry as it was their rookie year.

Being down 0-2 certainly isn't a death knell, but it's obviously not optimal.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived