(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The inability to look McDavid's direction without a penalty is astounding.

It's a nice change of pace from San Jose being allowed to do with  McDavid whatever they pleased.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

1 minute ago, Still MIGHTY said:

The inability to look McDavid's direction without a penalty is astounding.

It's a nice change of pace from San Jose being allowed to do with  McDavid whatever they pleased.

7 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

I'd prefer this :upside:

But cmon, Perry and McDavid aren't even looking at each other, run into each other, Ducks penalty. Lindholm brushes away McDavid after the play, Lucic then tries to choke Lindholm out, penalty both ways. Like huh?

I didn't even have a problem with the majority of the penalties drawn by McDavid in the first two games. Today's have been different.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This Oilers team has some really great resolve. The heart they showed by coming back from down 3-0 is impressive.

Of course they give up another goal when tied to make it 4-3 but hey, they've got time.

NSFCvyu.png

30 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

It's a nice change of pace from San Jose being allowed to do with McDavid whatever they pleased.

Please. McDavid did plenty on his own in that series (ie cross checking Pavelski in the head during the blowout in game 4). At worst it was evenly called in regards to boy wonder.

spacer.png

When McDavid scored that goal to make it 3-3, you think Carlyle was having flashbacks to the last time he blew a 3-goal lead in a big road playoff game?

Fortunately, less than a minute after that..... seriously, that 4-3 goal by ANA might be the softest goal allowed by any goalie these playoffs.

That took the air out of Edmonton.

9 hours ago, Kaz said:

Well, there's a difference between wishing for a team to relocate because their market is a liability to the league versus wishing relocation on a team just because you don't like them.

Well, when a team has filed for bankruptcy, they aren't much more than a liability to the league at that time.  Now they got lucky as hell in having one of their greatest players get involved with the team, then getting Ewing-ish luck in winning the 30-team lottery to draft Crosby to help said downtrodden team get back on their feet.

I believe the Senators also filed for bankruptcy (and they're having trouble selling out playoff games this season), and the Sabres were behind in dealing out paychecks for like 3-5 of their players.  Better situations now, but let's not think traditional markets are immune to financial troubles.

13 hours ago, Bob5151 said:

You put into words something that's bothered me for years about certain teams in all sports, and I could never really explain it. Of course, the Penguins are an excellent team, but they never seem to be put into bad situations by shoddy officiating. Any borderline call either benefits them, or doesn't hurt them. I never see them killing a bs penalty late in a game, or getting called for a ticky-tack hold in the first period that leads to them playing from behind right off the bat. They do seem to get these types of calls in their favor though.

The same thing applies to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, New York Yankees (at least during their late '90s/ early 2000's run).

Of course, I'm not watching every second of every game to see the calls that go against them, but it certainly FEELS like certain teams are always benefiting from close/ borderline calls.  

People always interpret my stance as being the sole reason the Penguins are successful. They're a very good team who would win most of the time if officiating was perfect. My issue is that not only is officiating not perfect, but we're just supposed to accept that and we're just supposed to accept that one team always seems to benefit or at least not get hurt by the imperfect officiating. They're hard enough to beat on their own, borderline impossible when they get help and they always get help. 

I'm also not saying there's bribery or some nefarious action going on. I think it's more like subconscious bias. The Penguins are more famous. Officials know what a penalty on the Penguins looks like. They don't know what a penalty on the Blue Jackets looks like so you had one team who knew they could get away with everything and another who didn't know what the rules were and that very clearly allowed one squad to play more freely. With the Capitals I think it's just a matter of one team is shooting lights out, the other isn't getting anywhere close to the number of breaks they should be getting for the number of shots they're taking.

If they lose a game these playoffs because a goal gets scored on a bad missed call then I'll shut up. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

52 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I want to cheer for the Oilers, but the Habs fan in me refuses to cheer for any team that features Milan Lucic.

If it helps, it's not like he's really helping the Oilers much this season anyway.

Archived