(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

31 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

if not more

You actually had me until that part. And yeah, I do believe I pointed Chicago's own troublesome past with race relations to the gentleman who called Jets fans racist a few years back.

I'm still not buying that the South has less racial issues than the North though. There's a Confederate flag flying off of the highway to Brandon. Like...aggressively large.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm still not buying that the South has less racial issues than the North though.

That's cool, because that's not what I'm selling.

We need games instead of discussion that borders on political talk.  I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.  They've been awfully pesky throughout the playoffs and are playing with House Money now.  I think this one goes the distance.  As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

29 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Northern cities are having just as many issues....if not more.....than their southern counterparts.

Seems to be ;)

I can appreciate a change of discussion though.

7 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.

I don't think so. I don't know how much of the Ottawa/Boston series you watched, but those two teams looked awful. And the Rangers needed six games to dispatch a Habs team that wasn't able to find the back of the net. Pittsburgh, however, looks like a buzzsaw. It's always disconcerting when a team's backup goaltender is on fire.

9 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

Until they don't. And this Preds team dispatched them last year. Maybe getting over the game seven hump gave them confidence, but Nashville looks like Pittsburgh. Just on another level.

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Seems to be ;)

I could have sworn I caught you mistyping.

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered, it's Pittsburgh in 3.  But it's just "do what you can to win" now, and somehow or another, Ottawa wins these games they shouldn't be winning.

1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I could have sworn I caught you mistyping.

So you did. So you did. Sometimes the mind runs faster than the pen. Or the fingertips. 

2 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered...

It's not a matter of style points, it's just a matter of the Pens being the better team. Hanging around until you manage to make magic happen isn't going to work against a team as deep and as fine tuned as Pittsburgh. They got by a Rangers team that coasted through most of the season and had trouble with an offence-less Montreal, and beat a pretty bad Bruins team. What they've been doing won't cut it against the Pen's raw talent. 

Maybe Ottawa has a chance if MAF turns into a Pumpkin, but if that was going to happen he would have completed the three game collapse against Washington.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

We need games instead of discussion that borders on political talk.  I think Ottawa will give Pittsburgh more fits than people think.  They've been awfully pesky throughout the playoffs and are playing with House Money now.  I think this one goes the distance.  As for Nashville/Anaheim....Nashville has the better goalie, the more potent offense, and the more reliable defensemen.  This should be a runaway for the Predators, but the Ducks seem to always do just enough to get by.

I actually think Anaheim's offense is slightly more potent than Nashville's, but less consistent, in round 2. Null game, IMO. Even if they stymie the JoFA line (still not convinced that I don't hate that name), though, we have a ridiculously productive defense.

Unless Nashville falters, in a major way, or Anaheim hits a higher level of consistency, Nashville in 6.

I think the east is Pittsburgh's to lose. If Ottawa's black sorcery holds up, and the Pens are a little winded, after the first two rounds, maybe they can pull something off. I might feel better about calling this if I could put my finger on how exactly the Sens got to the conference final. I'm inclined to say Pens in 5, but a part of me is thinking (even hoping) Sens in 7.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Stats from the Regular season don't seem to matter in the postseason, (See Washington and Minnesota) so I'll give Ottawa a little more credit, but I agree with Ice_Cap... Pittsburgh is just too good... Pens in 6

I also think the Predators are playing better than the Ducks right now, but Rinne did look a little shaky towards the end of the season, so that series depends on the play of Him... Preds in 7 is what I'm thinking though...

SCF- Preds in 7 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Stats from the Regular season don't seem to matter in the postseason, (See Washington and Minnesota) so I'll give Ottawa a little more credit, but I agree with Ice_Cap... Pittsburgh is just too good... Pens in 6

I also think the Predators are playing better than the Ducks right now, but Rinne did look a little shaky towards the end of the season, so that series depends on the play of Him... Preds in 7 is what I'm thinking though...

SCF- Preds in 7 

Stats from the regular season don't matter, yet how Rinne played a month ago does?

HOLY COW we're getting off track here. Hopefully I didn't star any of this with my being depressed/bitter about Wednesday night. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Stats from the regular season don't matter, yet how Rinne played a month ago does?

Exactly...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Preds have a hot goalie and are the hot pick.  It makes sense.

Pens Vs. Ducks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Whatever happens this round, we can all sleep soundly knowing that we did get to see a Battle of Alberta in the end. It was Flames vs. Oilers: which team can look worse playing a California team.

And the Flames won that battle! Congrats, Calgary!

The real battle of Alberta was seeing which team could be screwed over more by the refs and the Oilers won handily. How holding a goalies pads, preventing him from making a crucial save in the final 15 seconds of a crucial game, isn't goalie interference I will never know.  The Oilers should have won that series in 6.

As for an actual Battle of Alberta, I'm sure we'll see plenty of those when the Ducks are rebuilding with their lone cup. 

39 minutes ago, Morgo said:

The real battle of Alberta was seeing which team could be screwed over more by the refs and the Oilers won handily. How holding a goalies pads, preventing him from making a crucial save in the final 15 seconds of a crucial game, isn't goalie interference I will never know.  The Oilers should have won that series in 6.

As for an actual Battle of Alberta, I'm sure we'll see plenty of those when the Ducks are rebuilding with their lone cup. 

Morgo, even I'm not salty about that goalie interference anymore and I'm the Oilers fan here. They brought it upon themselves by blowing up. Happens. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

K so the salt here recently has made me seriously consider starting a poll after the playoffs are over and asking who was the Saltiest NHL Playoff Fan™.  Obviously it'd all be in good fun.  Is it a good idea?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

K so the salt here recently has made me seriously consider starting a poll after the playoffs are over and asking who was the Saltiest NHL Playoff Fan™.  Obviously it'd all be in good fun.  Is it a good idea?

No, because someone's going to get their feelings hurt.

17 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't know what Ottawa is doing.  Their raw stats say they shouldn't be here.  Minus goal differential for the season, one above in the playoffs...but they just kind of hang around and pull games out of their ass.  If style points mattered, it's Pittsburgh in 3.  But it's just "do what you can to win" now, and somehow or another, Ottawa wins these games they shouldn't be winning.

The thing with Ottawa is that under Boucher's defensive system they play to hold on and win one goal games (see: the trap) and are doing it well to be fair (7-2 in 1 goal games this playoffs and that 8th win included an empty netter), the other side is that they lose a lot more 3+ goal games than they win.

Craig Anderson has been great in a few games these playoffs but has also looked shaky in a few more so I don't know what we're gonna see against the Pens. The team bailed him out a couple times vs NY but how he performs will probably be even more important than Karlsson's from here on out. He's performed a lot better down the stretch in the regular season and in past playoffs.

The defense is also a bit of a wildcard, Karlsson's playing his best hockey right now and the 3rd pairing of Claesson-Harpur/Wideman has been more than serviceable. Ceci - Phaneuf, however, has been less than impressive. They've each had good games but quite a few stinkers on top of that. At Even Strength Karlsson has a 54.8 CF% since the start of the post-season and Ceci has a 45.6 CF%, while the rest of the defense has a 51.2 CF%. That's not the guy you want on your second pairing playing key minutes and logging heavy PK time but here he is.

If the Senators play organized and stick to their game plan I see a good series coming out of this. If they play like they did at MSG this could be over pretty quickly. FWIW the Senators won/tied* the season series 2-1 (*one of the wins coming in a shootout) with the home team winning every game.

Senators in 6

Predators in 7

Archived