(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

54 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

I'm not one to mask bad calls, but I'm tired of people blaming the refs for losing games; bad calls go both ways. If I recall correctly, Rust was cross checked to the face last night without any penalty called whatsoever. As I've stated before, I don't think the tripping on Hornqvist was a penalty, and Nashville got a rough break on that, but I don't think the Crosby "elbow" was a penalty either. He played the puck, then dished the check to protect the puck, then played the puck again.

If you note, I never pinned the whole game on the refs. I said that Pittsburgh gained a distinct advantage, from these calls. A two goal swing, and the momentum that led to three goals in a third of a period, that was all I cited.

I want to see a game where officiating protects the integrity of the game. Yes, bad/missed calls happen, but the lopsidedness of the officiating is my gripe. When they effect the course of the game, with a hair trigger penalty tolerance that disappears during the ensuing 2-man advantage, the viewers should take note.

Regarding the Crosby elbow, I said blatant, not deliberate. Lots of penalties are committed, innocently, as part of play. That doesn't make them any less of a penalty. When a team is on a 2-man advantage, anything as blatant as the face contact Crosby made should be called. Not doing so indicates lack of awareness, or consistency. As close as Sid was to the puck, I rather doubt it was the former.

There was plenty of other hockey played, and there was more the Preds could and should have done. Still, it's hard to deny the impact of those three calls, the two regarding the 5 on 3, specifically.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Viola73 said:

MOD EDIT

Apparently, I need to remember to leave my catfish at home the next time I'm in the City of Champions:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/30/15714498/predators-catfish-stanley-cup-finals-pittsburgh-arrest

I don't want the guy to go to jail for six years, but I wouldn't mind if this dissuaded people from throwing things on the ice for anything other than a hat trick or a pants trick.

I love the possessing an instrument of crime part. That's just great. I mean, the whole article is fascinating, but that just takes the cake.

https://goo.gl/HSRsVs

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

19 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

I love the possessing an instrument of crime part. That's just great. I mean, the whole article is fascinating, but that just takes the cake.

https://goo.gl/HSRsVs

Technically, it's true. However, I hate how charges get piled on like this. The guy disrupted a giant gathering of people; give him a charge for that. Don't give him a separate charge for having a fish that helped him disrupt the gathering.

3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

If you note, I never pinned the whole game on the refs. I said that Pittsburgh gained a distinct advantage, from these calls. A two goal swing, and the momentum that led to three goals in a third of a period, that was all I cited.

I want to see a game where officiating protects the integrity of the game. Yes, bad/missed calls happen, but the lopsidedness of the officiating is my gripe. When they effect the course of the game, with a hair trigger penalty tolerance that disappears during the ensuing 2-man advantage, the viewers should take note.

Regarding the Crosby elbow, I said blatant, not deliberate. Lots of penalties are committed, innocently, as part of play. That doesn't make them any less of a penalty. When a team is on a 2-man advantage, anything as blatant as the face contact Crosby made should be called. Not doing so indicates lack of awareness, or consistency. As close as Sid was to the puck, I rather doubt it was the former.

There was plenty of other hockey played, and there was more the Preds could and should have done. Still, it's hard to deny the impact of those three calls, the two regarding the 5 on 3, specifically.

I'm not calling out you or saying that you or other Predator fans blame the loss solely on the refs, my message was for those that thinks the league favors the Pens. I did quote you in my post so that was my fault, as I probably confused you.

And to McCarthy, I apologize. I let my frustration get the best of me.

NSFCvyu.png

6 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

This is entertaining, reading all the Penguins hate. When I first started following them (1982 or so), they weren't given much of a thought. I'm also a SF Giants fan, again, nobody seemed to care until they started winning, now they seem to have so much hate aimed at them. It amuses me to have all these haters come out of the closet.

Well, you have to remember that some of these people were born post Lemieux, so all they have known is Pens in the playoffs, or Pens in the finals.

I'm going on 45 years, so I remember when people in Pittsburgh looked confused when you asked them about the Penguins. They thought you were asking about the penguins in the zoo. It's just in their recent history that they have gotten to where they are today. This team has had its share of success but it took them almost 25 years before they won their first Cup and another 20 or so to earn what they have today.

5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I don't want the guy to go to jail for six years, but I wouldn't mind if this dissuaded people from throwing things on the ice for anything other than a hat trick or a pants trick.

I'm thinking he's not going to jail but will pay a reduced fine if he promises not to do it again. This also depends on how he respond when the charges were explained to him and if he has a criminal record, but with all the publicity over this I could see the courts reducing the charges from a PR standpoint.

1 hour ago, Viola73 said:

I'm thinking he's not going to jail but will pay a reduced fine if he promises not to do it again. This also depends on how he respond when the charges were explained to him and if he has a criminal record, but with all the publicity over this I could see the courts reducing the charges from a PR standpoint.

I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he got the maximum sentence, but it'd still be scary doing something relatively minor like this and seeing that possible jail time staring you in the face. Even without the bad PR, what he did falls on the low end of what these charges can be used for.

This is my 3rd Rite of Spring, and I'm almost positive I've never seen as many mod edits in one of these threads. 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Technically, it's true. However, I hate how charges get piled on like this. The guy disrupted a giant gathering of people; give him a charge for that. Don't give him a separate charge for having a fish that helped him disrupt the gathering.

I'll agree and say you do need to dish out some kind of punishment to deter every Tom, Dick and Harry from bringing in a seafood counter to the game. But man, legalese really seems unnecessary when you put it in a weird ass context like this. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The charges are being dropped.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/prosecutors-drop-charges-stanley-cup-dead-catfish-toss-47746004

Kicking the fan out, and hitting them with a fine (I'd say a couple hundred dollars, or less) should be enough deterrent. This was overkill. I'd say the person deciding the charges was either a Pens fan, or takes their job way too seriously. Most likely the latter.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I have a feeling that the Preds will be on top of their game tonight... Specifically Rinne. I say 3-0 Preds. And regardless of the score, if the Preds head back to Nashville with the series tied 1-1, the Penguins should be a little worried...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Dear Hockey Gods, make it stop...

It's funny, the year the NBA has one of the worst and most one two-sided playoffs in recent history, the NHL has nothing but close, fun-to-watch series all spring... and now the SCF's gonna be a sweep and the NBA Finals will probably go to seven. We can cry conspiracy all we want, but if I was running the NHL I'd actually be freaking pissed that my league's great postseason is gonna end on such an anti-climax.

Archived