(NHL Playoffs) Rite of Spring 2017: can't go on, no, I'll go on

The_Admiral

7 minutes ago, Morgo said:

I wasn't aware said fan-bases were so concerned about the teams someone from Calgary, who greatly tapered his expectations about the finish of this season, decided to bandwagon on.  I guess I should be flattered.

Well, to be fair, this was for you.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:12 AM, Red Wolf said:

All of the teams you root for keep losing. Don't bring the Predators down with you too. 

And they at least won a series with you on the bandwagon, so there is that. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

LeBron James, Sidney Crosby. 

What is it with you bitching about elite talent? You'd probably have complained about Gretzky in the 80s. 

I'm with him, though. Neither is particularly likeable. Lebron moreso, but Crosby just the same. 

Give me Steph Curry and Connor McDavid any day.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Late to the party (though I think I prefer that after three hours ago).

I'm not surprised at all on Pittsburgh's win. I knew that the winner of the PIT-WSH series was gonna end up winning the whole thing anyway. And with Pittsburgh defeating a title-less franchise in a sports championship, it's almost tradition for that to happen with them. This city has sixteen championships in total(!) and may be on the verge of more. But oh well, at least the Pirates suck.

Congrats to Nashville on the run. I know it wasn't the ideal ending, but the whole thing was fun for the most part. Seeing a sunbelt team win the cup would've been great (I don't care what anyone says). I like the direction this franchise is heading; I hope for their sake it continues.

I love all these sanctimonious people who think that a few fans throwing stuff on the ice after losing the Cup under questionable circumstances defines a whole fanbase. I'm sure they think their team's fans would never do that kind of thing. Keep telling yourself that, buddy. :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

I love all these sanctimonious people who think that a few fans throwing stuff on the ice after losing the Cup iunder questionable circumstances defines a whole fanbase. I'm sure they think their team's fans would never do that kind of thing. Keep telling yourself that, buddy. :rolleyes:

I'm not happy about the people throwing crap on the ice. And even the catfish thing is beyond overdone. I'm not going to stop being a fan or anything though. If I were to stop being a fan of something just because of other garbage people liking something as well, I would have turned against freedom and democracy by now. 

I can't sleep (which is normal, so probably unrelated to the game). I've thought about it a lot and I'm still unhappy about the result. Weird, right? The goal being disallowed due to referee error, the continued failure of the Predators on the power play, the inevitable ending of losing on a wacky goal, etc. 

Congrats to Pittsburgh on another title. Best case scenario next season, the Preds beat Pittsburgh in a rematch. After all, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man."

Ahhhh, back-to-back and 5 in 50. Great job boys! Can't wait for the parade!

To the Preds, Nashville, and their fans....thank you for making this finals one to remember. I have a feeling you're going to be here next year and actually lift the Cup. You did your city proud and put Nashville on the hockey fanatic list...keeping it there is tough but I think you can pull it off. 

It hurts right now but it will pass and, again, I feel you will be back. As for the Pens....? Not sure. I didn't think they were to make it this far at the start of the season and I think that way right now for next season. So, with that said; CHAMPIONS! CHAMPIONS! THE PENGUNS ARE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Sometimes you have to wonder if they're even aware of what they do. Because either they're completely tone deaf, or heartless bastards.

They are 100% unaware. This is the NHL, after all.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Will someone send Rob Manfred a memo that fixing things so the Pittsburgh team wins a championship is the key for running a successful league;) I find it hysterical that people think the NHL and to some extent the NFL are fixing things for the Pens and Steelers! First question is why? Pittsburgh is what the 25th largest tv market and the region is in a population decline. Next why wouldn't Bettman rig things for his "Sunbelt" teams like Nashville, San Jose or Tampa Bay? The yinzers in Pittsburgh are still going to watch the Pens and buy their merchandise, hell a Penguins sweater or Steelers jersey is acceptable attire for black tie events in Pittsburgh. I could go on and on on this topic.

1 hour ago, ltp74 said:

Will someone send Rob Manfred a memo that fixing things so the Pittsburgh team wins a championship is the key for running a successful league;) I find it hysterical that people think the NHL and to some extent the NFL are fixing things for the Pens and Steelers! First question is why? Pittsburgh is what the 25th largest tv market and the region is in a population decline. Next why wouldn't Bettman rig things for his "Sunbelt" teams like Nashville, San Jose or Tampa Bay? The yinzers in Pittsburgh are still going to watch the Pens and buy their merchandise, hell a Penguins sweater or Steelers jersey is acceptable attire for black tie events in Pittsburgh. I could go on and on on this topic.

Never said it was rigged, but there's no way to deny that you routinely benefited from inept officiating in these playoffs without really ever feeling the sting on the other end. If these things are supposed to even out over time it never did. That the clinching game had the Penguins on the good end of such a hideously bad call is only too perfect. 

Just admit you got lucky to have a good goal erased. Give me that, at least.

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I love all these sanctimonious people who think that a few fans throwing stuff on the ice after losing the Cup under questionable circumstances defines a whole fanbase. I'm sure they think their team's fans would never do that kind of thing. Keep telling yourself that, buddy. :rolleyes:

It was more than a few man. Fans were throwing stuff on the Pens bench and onto the ice. Luckily the object of choice were towels, but to act like it was a miserable few is mistaken.

Additionally, there have been other playoff matches lost in equally questionable circumstances without fans throwing stuff on the playing surface. I don't recall Sabres fans throwing stuff on the ice in 1999, and I don't remember the Kings doing it against the Lakers in 2002. It's one thing to be angry and/or upset at the outcome of a controversial call, but to do what they did is inexcusable.

Now to be clear, it does not represent Nashville's fanbase; it was a minority of fans, but it shouldn't be excused, and that goes for all fanbases. I was pissed at the Pens fans who threw crap on the ice in the ECF Game 7.

NSFCvyu.png

Tainted ending in my eyes. All the makeup power plays in the world are no substitute when you take a goal away from a team. The entire game would have been played differently if that goal had been counted.

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Never said it was rigged, but there's no way to deny that you routinely benefited from inept officiating in these playoffs without really ever feeling the sting on the other end. If these things are supposed to even out over time it never did. That the clinching game had the Penguins on the good end of such a hideously bad call is only too perfect. 

Just admit you got lucky to have a good goal erased. Give me that, at least.

It does at times seem that officiating goes the way of the more high-profile team.  And it seems we're fairly conditioned to it.  

Does that seem like a giant conspiracy theory?  I don't know...maybe it's just part of the subconscious of officials.  Except in the NBA.  That's just unequal.  

As for this one, no, it's not that "the Preds had a lot of chances."  They did.  But so did the Penguins.  Each team missed most of their chances, except for one.  It's almost unfair to the Pens, too.  They were probably going to win that series and that call tainted is some.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, JWhiz96 said:

Now to be clear, it does not represent Nashville's fanbase; it was a minority of fans, but it shouldn't be excused, and that goes for all fanbases. I was pissed at the Pens fans who threw crap on the ice in the ECF Game 7.

It's amplified because there's been a concerted effort to paint the Nashville faithful as these perfect fans who are so loud and so passionate but also have hearts of gold and never do anything wrong, not like boorish East Coasters or hidebound Canadians. Hawks fans see through it on two fronts: for one thing, smells like St. Louis Cardinals, for another, we've seen the facade of big-hearted hockey lovers come tumbling down every time they lose to Chicago and pout about what a crime-ridden hellhole that city is. So when you go holier-than-thou, as this whole Perds thing got, sometimes people don't mind it so much when you fall. In a thoroughly unrelated story, I have read reports that PK Subban built a children's hospital.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

50 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

It does at times seem that officiating goes the way of the more high-profile team.  And it seems we're fairly conditioned to it.  

Does that seem like a giant conspiracy theory?  I don't know...maybe it's just part of the subconscious of officials.  Except in the NBA.  That's just unequal.  

As for this one, no, it's not that "the Preds had a lot of chances."  They did.  But so did the Penguins.  Each team missed most of their chances, except for one.  It's almost unfair to the Pens, too.  They were probably going to win that series and that call tainted is some.

That's been my point all playoffs long. They're definitely the best team who was probably going to win it all again anyways AND they got a lot of help along the way without really facing the wrath of a bad call against them. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, I just want a Penguins fan to admit they got more breaks than they mathematically should've because they did. 

I brought up the 2002 OSU football national title because I was a huge fan at the time and that one never felt 100% comfortable for me because the PI call, right or not, did take away some of the luster. This feels like the same thing. 

and yes this being Pittsburgh has a lot to do with my ire. Fully able to admit that if this was like, the Sabres or another similarly snakebitten franchise finally on the receiving end of some good luck and hometown scoring time and time and time again I wouldn't have a problem with it, but that nearly every bad call for two months fell Pittsburgh's way, is aggravating. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived