Ice Cap's NHL Concepts: San Jose Sharks

IceCap

Haven't done this in a while.

So I'm going to be attempting a NHL Concepts series. I really don't have any plans for most of the league, but I have enough to start this thread up. Basically I'll post when I finish a concept, and I'll start working on a concept when I have an idea for one. Exciting!

First off. The Tampa Bay Lightning. Inspired by my discussions with @Rollins Man and @Morgo in the NHL 2017-2018 thread. Basically I wanted something evocative of the original look while fixing the problems with it.

I went back to the Honolulu blue the team used at the start of their tenure, as it contrasted better with the black than the royal blue they switched to (and still use). The dated logo has been replaced by a slightly modified and recoloured version of the current alternate mark. I used a TB monogram based off of the team's wordmark for the alternate logo.  

I decided to homage the current set with the alternate. Blue is now the primary colour, white the secondary, black the tertiary, and silver has been removed completely.

g12lhbR.png

0Cy7MkP.png

gUaLAhc.png

C&C welcome, as always.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the new logo. Good mix of old and new..

As far as the jerseys themselves, I like the look. The double outline of the numbers though..

38 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I decided to homage the current set with the alternate. Blue is now the primary colour, white the secondary, black the tertiary, and silver has been removed completely.

I think you need to swap blue and black here.

I'm glad our multiple page argument resulted in something :P  .  I like how the striping evokes their original look while adding some much needed blue.  The monogram is also an effective shoulder patch.  The only suggestion I have would be to drop the text from the main logo and make the ithe inner circle bigger, maybe with a thinner outline (blue part).  What you did still works quite well but I think that tweak might put it over the top.  What if the monogram on the alternate had the same double outlines as the numbers?  Just a suggestion.

16 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'm glad our multiple page argument resulted in something :P  .  I like how the striping evokes their original look while adding some much needed blue.  The monogram is also an effective shoulder patch.  The only suggestion I have would be to drop the text from the main logo and make the ithe inner circle bigger, maybe with a thinner outline (blue part).  What you did still works quite well but I think that tweak might put it over the top.  What if the monogram on the alternate had the same double outlines as the numbers?  Just a suggestion.

I took the suggestion regarding the alternate logos, and I have to say I like the tweaked look better. Thanks!

I considered getting rid of the text, but I kept it because text has been the one constant with the Lightning's logos. The original had the full name, the next version kept the "TAMPA BAY" portion. Even the current logo, which stripped so much character away, kept the text on the road sweaters. A lightning bolt in a circle without text seems so iconic, but it seemed like it would have been ditching one of the few constant elements through all of their identity's tweaks.

16 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

im not sure if a roundel is good for a main logo, it's ok on the third cause it's more old school, but i think the main set could just be the current bolt with the black drop shadow? 

I kept the roundel logo for a similar reason. All of the Lightning's logos have involved circles or roundels in some form.

16 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

this is what im trying to reference.

*snip*

That's not half bad, but I've never liked the skewed nature of the current primary.

The Toronto Maple Leafs

This look's based off of the look the Leafs wore from 1958-63. I kept the current logo, but used the Toronto Arenas' T as an alternate mark. I also kept the current set's toned down sock stripes. I thought I would miss the traditional busy design, but the current sock striping just looks so clean while also reflecting the team's traditional look.

The alternate is based off of the Winter Classic design, but tweaked to play up the similarities with the old Toronto St. Pats look. The leaf has been removed from the front of the sweater. Instead the wordmark stands in as the primary crest, echoing the look of so many St. Pats sweaters. I placed the Arenas' T in the leaf as the alternate mark.

FCRBNCO.png

IbdWyuq.png

12lBPNF.png

The only thing i would change on the Leafs is the separation of the two thinner arm stripes and the colored bottom of the sleeves is too slim. I think it might look better if it was the same width as the two stripes. Two great concepts overall though.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I'll echo the roundel concern for the Lightning. Besides that and the height of the hem stripes, they look nice!

For the Leafs, this would be my ideal set for them, but I'd just tweak the thickness of the alternate number outline and shrink the cuffs.

Looking forward to more! 

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• IceCap changed the title to Ice Cap's NHL Concepts Shttp://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/111408-ice-caps-nhl-concepts-series-toronto-maple-leafs/eries: Toronto Maple Leafs

The Dallas Stars

So I want to start off by saying that if the Dallas Stars never changed their uniforms again I would be happy. They have a great look as-is. That being said? I consider the Minnesota North Stars' 1988-1991 look to be one of, if not the, best looks in hockey history. I wanted to design a Dallas Stars uniform that would lean heavily into that.

The primary look is obviously heavily inspired by that look. I shamelessly reproduced that striping on the Edge template. The one change I made is that the North Stars' kelly green was switched out for the Dallas Stars' current victory green. Which, while very similar, is just different enough for me to notice. I really like the victory green colour (it may be my favourite shade of green period), and it was too unique to ditch. So the base is the late 80s/early 90s North Stars look using Dallas' victory green.

I kept the current logos, but I simplified them. I got rid of the silver metallic bevel in favour of bold colour. The star is gold, as it was from 1967-1991. I carried over the replacement of bevelling/metallic with flat, bold colours to the Texas alternate mark. The Dallas Stars' original Texas alternate logo was one of my favourite alternate marks in the league, and I was a bit bummed when the Stars kept the updated Texas logo off of the sweaters. Well it's my concept, so it's back :D The repetition of the D/Star isn't the best situation, but look at the uniforms I based these off of. It's on topic!

The pants are drawn from another North Stars uniform, their last set from 1991-1993. I considered adding the "DALLAS" wordmark down the sides that the team added upon moving, but it seemed like just a bit much. So I scaled it back to just the two stripes.

The alternate is based off of a concept for a black sweater the team considered in the late 80s. I'm not sure if it was meant to replace the green or just be used as an alternate, but I think this may be one of the first cases of a team considering BFBS. Either way I resurrected the design as the alternate here. I couldn't fit the lighter green into the logo without it looking kind of bad, but I was able to work it into the outline of the Texas alternate mark. 

HMQRjq7.png

Qgq40J3.png

JvVn8gN.png

The New York Islanders

A lot of people think the Islanders are wearing their dynasty-era set, but they aren't. The current Islanders' home and road set is based on the team's mid 70s look, while the Islanders' dynasty lasted from 1979-1983. So I went back to the team's dynasty look as the basis for the concept. The biggest change comes in the form of the logos. I ditched the classic NY Islanders circle/map/NY/wordmark primary. Yes, it's traditional. Yes, it's associated with the team's best years. It is, however, undeniably dated and crowded. So I opted to use just the NY. The Rangers have their own set of iconography. Diagonal lettering, the shield, and Lady Liberty. The Rangers have never used a NY monogram before. That leaves room for the Islanders to claim it as far as hockey goes. I used a recoloured version of the Gordon's Fish Sticks look's lighthouse alternate as the alternate logo here. 

I decided to lean heavily into the that Gordon's Fish Stick set for the alternate uniform. I've seen two arguments passed around in that set's favour. The first is that it wouldn't have been so bad without the crazy striping and numbers. The second is that the overall look would have been well-received had it been introduced as an alternate and not as a replacement for the beloved dynasty set. That it could have been the Islanders' version of the Rangers' popular Lady Liberty alts. So I ran with both.

The colours from the Gordon's set all remain. As do the logos. The number and NOB font both come from the primary set to help ground the look. As far as those crazy stripes go? I kept the same general pattern and colour placement, but I straightened them out and reworked them as traditional hockey sweater stripes. The overall colour layout remains the same, but the identity is much less gimicky. I still don't think it's strong enough to stand in as the Islanders' full-time look, but it does work as an alternate once it's reigned in a bit.

KcHRsAK.png

FR6p0WP.png

OtJMS4D.png

On 4/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Haven't done this in a while.

So I'm going to be attempting a NHL Concepts series. I really don't have any plans for most of the league, but I have enough to start this thread up. Basically I'll post when I finish a concept, and I'll start working on a concept when I have an idea for one. Exciting!

First off. The Tampa Bay Lightning. Inspired by my discussions with @Rollins Man and @Morgo in the NHL 2017-2018 thread. Basically I wanted something evocative of the original look while fixing the problems with it.

I went back to the Honolulu blue the team used at the start of their tenure, as it contrasted better with the black than the royal blue they switched to (and still use). The dated logo has been replaced by a slightly modified and recoloured version of the current alternate mark. I used a TB monogram based off of the team's wordmark for the alternate logo.  

As much as the Bolts' logo looks good already, this redesign is pretty interesting.

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 5.26.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 3.44.34 PM.png

I've always maintained that the Stars should go a similar route to your concept.  Not only does it look great, put it puts the tired Minnesota debate to rest.  What if the sunrise alternate used the Texas patch as the primary?  Just a thought.

Archived