Jump to content

Lakeland Magic


BShaw20

Recommended Posts

Ugh. Really? Lakeland Magic? 3,000 name suggestions and that is what you came up with? 

 

I submitted Lakeland Spellcasters - Spell for Magic, Casters for "casting" a fishing rod (Lakeland is big on fishing). It's not Nike-speak when it's the truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

Took a stab at a logo explanation.

4-12-2017 10-07-27 PM.jpg

no see your explanation is too rooted in truth to ever be considered "Nike-speak".  You need something along the lines of "each star has 5 points on it, so there are 5 stars in the logo to represent the 5 players on the basketball court" and "it's a roundel shape because balls are round, and the Lakeland Magic plan to bring basketball to the Lakeland area all year 'round"

 

Edit: Crap I hate being right - "The Lakeland Magic also unveiled its team logo, which includes the Orlando Magic’s current jersey/logo wordmark. It has the original Magic team colors (blue, black and silver) and features five iconic stars to represent each player on the court."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point, NBA teams slapping their name all over their ahem "G-League" affiliates has become extremely annoying. It is uninspired, and to me it says "hey, we don't care what is good about your city, look at us, the NBA team" which makes it more of a selling point to the NBA team than their developmental affiliate. It is almost like they don't want us to care about the G-League team. C'mon! Make some nice minor-league team names to increase pride! Go back to the good old days! 

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Ugh. Really? Lakeland Magic? 3,000 name suggestions and that is what you came up with? 

 

I submitted Lakeland Spellcasters - Spell for Magic, Casters for "casting" a fishing rod (Lakeland is big on fishing). It's not Nike-speak when it's the truth.

See! Do this! An actual name that would please both sides of the party!

Good name BTW. Love the tie-in to the fishing industry.

 

On another note, the logo is alright. It does not look like an overly forced NBA team logo. It is just... bland and generic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

At this point, NBA teams slapping their name all over their ahem "G-League" affiliates has become extremely annoying.

 

No; it's a very encouraging trend.  I hope that it continues.  

 

 

42 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

It is almost like they don't want us to care about the G-League team.

 

This does not follow at all.  In fact, giving the D-League team the nickname of the NBA team promotes interest.  A Net fan is naturally going to care about the Long Island Nets; and a game between them and the Westchester Knicks will interest that fan far more than a game between the Springfield Armor and the Erie BayHawks (and I had to look that up) would.

A developmental league with the Nets, Knicks, Warriors, Bulls, Spurs, and Lakers in it is very cool.  This gives the whole thing a more professional feel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks this logo is amateurish at best? The "K" in "LAKELAND" is twice as wide as any of the other letters and sticks out like a sore thumb. And the ball looks like clipart from Office 95 and says nothing about the team. 

 

I actually like the trend of G-League teams renaming themselves after the parent club. But they mailed this one in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Am I the only one that thinks this logo is amateurish at best? The "K" in "LAKELAND" is twice as wide as any of the other letters and sticks out like a sore thumb. And the ball looks like clipart from Office 95 and says nothing about the team. 

 

I actually like the trend of G-League teams renaming themselves after the parent club. But they mailed this one in.

 

That K is really awkward now that you mention it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:12 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

<Brain reeling> Lakers ... Orlando ...  Magic ...


Image result for orlando woolridge magic johnson

 

 

 

It's kinda funny that as a 9/10 year-old kid ('89-90) who was into TV Guides and not yet completely immersed in the NBA, I could remember an ad promoting a Laker road telecast from Orlando...in my mind, I was asking myself "why is Magic playing against his own team?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.