3-Houston

4-Los Angeles Clippers

5-Utah

6-Oklahoma City

7-Memphis

8-Portland

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course in my perfect world, the Jazz go on an uber-run and shock the world by downing the Warriors, Spurs, AND Cavs respectively en route to a miraculous title and a Moneyball-esque movie starring Christian Bale as Quin Snyder.

Buuuutttt for real-life's sake:

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1st Round

(1) Golden State 4, (8) Portland 1

(5) Utah 4, (4) LA Clippers 3

(3) Houston 4, (6) Oklahoma City 2

(2) San Antonio 4, (7) Memphis 0

2nd Round

(1) Golden State 4, (5) Utah 1

(2) San Antonio 4, (3) Houston 1

Conference Finals

(2) San Antonio 4, (1) Golden State 3

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1st Round

(1) Boston 4, (8) Chicago 0

(4) Washington 4, (5) Atlanta 3

(3) Toronto 4, (6) Milwaukee 2

(2) Cleveland 4, (7) Indiana 1

2nd Round

(1) Boston 4, (4) Washington 2

(2) Cleveland 4, (3) Toronto 2

Conference Finals

(1) Cleveland 4, (2) Boston 2

NBA FINALS

(2) San Antonio 4, (1) Cleveland 2

MVP: Kahwi Leonard, SA

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I can't see how anyone beats Golden State. I had high hopes for Houston earlier this season, but they've definitely cooled off from where they started. San Antonio has been very good, but they're Kawhi or bust, and don't have nearly the depth of Golden State. It's the Warriors' conference and title to lose.

I don't know what to make of the Cavs. They've been terrible the last two months and it doesn't seem like they're bad because they've saving energy. They wanted that win against the Pacers the other day and they just couldn't get there. And while there's a bit of asterisk to being 0-4 against the Bulls, I bet they'd much rather play them than the Pacers in the first round. I'd also dubious of their ability to get past Toronto in the second round. Though really, who knows.

A Celtics/Warriors Finals would be quite the spectacle, but Boston would get swept. Still, I think that might be my pick.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not sold on the idea that the Cavs are actually this bad. LeBron has the ability to basically take over games, and Kyrie has proven to be clutch as well. I'm not saying that because I'm a Cavs fan, I'm actually a Pacers fan so I'd like to see them pull of the upset. I think that the Cavs defense is highly suspect, so that's gonna hurt them a lot as well. Boston is my pick to win the East. 

Warriors win the West. No doubt. It's just gonna be about who can make a series out of it. 

spacer.png

Warriors, Jazz, Rockets, Spurs

Warriors, Spurs

Warriors

Celtics, Wizards, Raptors, Cavs

Celtics, Cavs

Cavs

Warriors over Cavs in 5

and if Lebron makes it to a 7th straight finals we need to start talking about how insanely impressive that is within the context of NBA history. Six is already nuts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Six in a row, when the talent, coaching and conditioning across the league has never been better. LeBron's amazing.

What's weird is people give the Warriors a mulligan for last year because of no Draymond and an injured Steph, but we all seem to forget the Cavs won 2 in 2015 starting Matthew Dellavedova because Kyrie and Love were gone. That, to me, is a truer example of LeBron's greatness.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Cavs have been really weird all season. The lack of focus has been hard to watch.

But even with the way they slumped into the end of the season, let's not forget the statement they made in Boston. With everything on the line for the Celtics they got their ass beat. They did end up with the 1 seed anyway, but it was basically the Cavs going "look look we can play defense when we choose to" which only makes the losing streak to finish even more frustrating. I'm skeptical that LeBron has a real challenger in the east still, but we're about to find out.

As for the Finals, I'm expecting the trilogy with the Warriors to be complete and for the Cavs to lose. But that was my prediction last year so who knows. If the Warriors win, KD and company will get a lot of praise and love. LeBron might get some backlash (it'd be another field day for the Skip Bayless's of the world) but unless he's pure ass during the Finals, he won't get that much blame for losing to the most talented offensive unit maybe ever. If he wins, it's a huge boon to his legacy though. 

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Six in a row, when the talent, coaching and conditioning across the league has never been better. LeBron's amazing.

What's weird is people give the Warriors a mulligan for last year because of no Draymond and an injured Steph, but we all seem to forget the Cavs won 2 in 2015 starting Matthew Dellavedova because Kyrie and Love were gone. That, to me, is a truer example of LeBron's greatness.

The mulligan for last year's Finals shouldn't be a thing. The Cavs were down 3-1, and had to win 2 games in Golden State against a Warriors team who basically never lost at home. The Cavs straight up outplayed the Dubs in the last three games. 

spacer.png

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1st Round

(1) Golden State

(4) LA Clippers 

(3) Houston

(2) San Antonio

2nd Round

(1) Golden State 

(3) Houston 

Conference Finals

(1) Golden State

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1st Round

(1) Boston

(4) Washington

(3) Toronto

(2) Cleveland

2nd Round

(1) Boston

(3) Toronto 

Conference Finals

(3) Toronto 

NBA FINALS

Golden State

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I totally agree. I'm just surprised by the narrative that's developed. I've heard on more than one occasion that Draymond's suspension cost the Warriors a title. Well, no -- they had three opportunities to close it out (2 with Draymond) and they blew it. And if you play that game, then the Love/Irving injuries cost the Cavs a title, so neither team earned its ring.

But narratives are dumb and results matter. I hope if both teams reach the Finals again, they do so healthy and without excuses.

4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

It's just the desire to hate LeBron.  His titles are tainted because of Super Teams or injuries but Shaq signing with the Lakers does not detract from Kobe's.

We still are OK with Golden State; their greatness is kind of new, so we give them a pass.  But LeBron choked AGAIN in the finals the year before; as I recall both Love and Kyrie were healthy and playing (note the sarcasm).

Like everyone else, I am not sure whether the Cavs are bad (well, not bad, but just not what they should be) or if they'll be able to flip the switch for the playoffs.  They've struggled to a high enough degree for a long enough period of time that I feel like this might be for real.  But I won't be shocked if they steamroll their way through the east either.

That said, Golden State is not losing a series barring a significant injury.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I got a Toronto-GSW Final myself.

People don't realize how defensively strong this Raptors team has been since the trades for Ibaka & Tucker have happened. I think they've flipped a new switch with Lowry being back & they have shown they have some of the best depth in the NBA with our 3rd stringers destroying the Cavs 3rd string players. Honestly, I see the Raptors getting past Milwaukee & then surprising Cleveland in the 2nd round, leading to a Raps-Celtics ECF. The Cavs are tired. It's showing on their faces that they've run out of gas. Lebron is no longer a young man..... he's in his 30's & with his hairline, he looks like he's in his 40's. That's stress for you. 

As for what happens in the Final.... the Raptors have the best core to handle the Warriors, even with Durant. 

PG: Lowry/Joseph vs Curry/Livingston (EDGE: Toss up)

SG: DeRozan/Powell vs Thompson/Clark (EDGE: Toronto, thanks to Powell)

SF: Durant/Igoudala vs Carroll/Tucker (EDGE: GS.)

PF: Ibaka/Patterson vs Green/Looney (EDGE: Toss up.) 

C: Valanciunas/Poeltl vs Pachulia/McGee (Edge: Toronto by a long shot)

The Raptors have the ability to go big or to go small, have shown that they can play lockdown D & have the better bench of the two. I think GS wins in 6 unless injuries happen on either side. The biggest factor if a Raps-GSW Finals does happen is JV..... & we all saw what he did last playoffs, right? 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

People -- myself included -- slept on the Raptors all year long. Partly because they're never on national TV and partly because everyone assumed they were garbage after Lowry went down. That and Ibaka didn't set the world on fire.

But, they're good and they're healthy and DeRozan has shown himself to be surprisingly worth his max deal.

I'm Team LeBron all the way, but I think it'd be great for the league and for Toronto if they made it to the finals. They certainly have the talent to get there.

Homer picks ...

WESTERN CONFERENCE

First Round

Golden State over Portland, 4-1

Utah over LA Clippers, 4-2

Houston over OKC, 4-3

San Antonio over Memphis, 4-0

Second Round

Utah over Golden State, 4-2

San Antonio over Houston, 4-3

Conference Finals

Utah over San Antonio, 4-2

EASTERN CONFERENCE

First Round

Boston over Chicago, 4-1

Atlanta over Washington, 4-2

Toronto over Milwaukee, 4-1

Cleveland over Indiana, 4-1

Second Round

Boston over Atlanta, 4-2

Toronto over Cleveland, 4-2

Conference Finals

Toronto over Boston, 4-2

NBA Finals

Utah over Toronto, 4-2

Realistic Picks ...

WESTERN CONFERENCE

First Round

Golden State over Portland, 4-1

Utah over LA Clippers, 4-2

Houston over OKC, 4-3

San Antonio over Memphis, 4-0

Second Round

Golden State over Utah, 4-1

San Antonio over Houston, 4-3

Conference Finals

Golden State over San Antonio, 4-1

EASTERN CONFERENCE

First Round

Boston over Chicago, 4-1

Atlanta over Washington, 4-2

Toronto over Milwaukee, 4-1

Cleveland over Indiana, 4-1

Second Round

Boston over Atlanta, 4-2

Cleveland over Toronto, 4-2

Conference Finals

Cleveland over Boston, 4-1

NBA Finals

Golden State over Cleveland, 4-1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

EASTERN CONFERENCE

FIRST ROUND

1) BOS def. 8) CHI in 4 - To absolutely no one's surprise, the Celtics manhandle the Bulls in 4 straight blowouts.

7) IND def. 2) CLE in 7 - In what many consider the greatest upset in league history, the Pacers shock the nation when they come back from a 3-2 series deficit and stun the Cavs on a Paul George buzzer-beater in Game 7.

3) TOR def. 6) MIL in 7 - Despite Chris Middleton and Giannis Antetokoumpo's valiant efforts, the Raptors are just too much for the Bucks in the end.

4) WAS def. 5) ATL in 6 - Dennis Schroeder simply cannot defend John Wall, and he explodes for a monster series. Dwight Howard is also a no-show.

SECOND ROUND

1) BOS def. 4) WAS in 6 - When John Wall and Bradley Beal successfully shut down Isaiah Thomas and Avery Bradley, Kelly Olynyk has the series of his life when Al Horford goes down with a leg injury early in Game 1.

7) IND def. 3) TOR in 5 - The Cinderella story continues when the Pacers defeat the Raptors in a stunning 5 games, 3 of which were decided with less than 2 points.

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

7) IND def. 1) BOS in 7 - With the entire country (with the exclusion of Boston/New England area) behind them, the Pacers play the series of their lives. "Pacers Dude" goes viral after he goes to every away game wearing a bright yellow jacket and, to be frank, being a nuisance to everyone else in the TD Garden. The Celtics took games 1 and 2 in convincing fashion, but then the Pacers did the same at their house. Each team won their respective home games until Game 7, a 2OT thriller that many say is one of the best games in league history, with the Pacers pulling off the upset.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

FIRST ROUND

1) GS def. POR in 5 - Damian Lillard does enough to steal a game in Game 4, but not enough to keep the Blazers from being thoroughly dominated.

2) SA def. 7) MEM in 4 - The Grizzlies have no match for Kawhi, and he has an amazing series. 

3) HOU def. 6) OKC in 6 - The battle of the MVPs is really not all that heated, with every game being a blowout. Westbrook does get a triple-double in every game, though. So there's that.

5) UTA def. 4) LAC in 5 - The Clippers choke again. Really nothing else to say.

SECOND ROUND

1) GS def. 3) HOU in 7 - This was actually a much more competitive series than many expected. James Harden steals a couple for the Rockets in games 5 and 6, but it still isn't enough.

2) SA def. 5) UTA in 6 - Utah was primed to take the upset with a commanding 2-0 series lead - until Gordon Hayward went down in game 3. Spurs then won 4 straight to create a WCF matchup that absolutely everyone expected.

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS

1) GS def. 2) SA in 7 - A highly-anticipated series really disappointed at first, as the Warriors grab a 3-0 lead - and then San Antonio won 3 straight to set up a WCF matchup for the ages. Unfortunately for fans of the NBA outside of the Bay Area and any bandwagoners, the Warriors win, and are headed to the Finals.

2016-17 NBA FINALS

W1) GS def. E7) IND in 4 - This is a matchup between the superteam Warriors, the team which was widely considered to be the best team in league history, versus the Cinderella Pacers (the "Cardiac Pacemakers"). However, it was simply not meant to be for the Pacers, as they lose 4 straight in a snoozer of a Finals and the Warriors win their 2nd championship in 3 years.

ExJworW.png

28 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Oh how much I want this, but...

tumblr_lfnkfdoIMA1qzvx8i.gif

2018. 2018. 2018. 2018. 2018.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived