The 2017 NBA Playoffs: This Is A Recording

buzzcut

I can understand the hate for Golden State, to an extent - trust me, I've got no love for them either. But as others have said, this is a team that became great only three years ago; their rise was unexpected, and in a league where surprises are exceptionally rare, I welcomed their presence. I mean hell, I even rooted for them in their 73-9 season because it was so awesome to watch (I wasn't born for the Bulls 72-10 season so this was new to me). I think people really started hating GS when they got Durant, because they loaded an already stacked roster with another great player. Now GS is not the first team to do this, nor will they be the last. But for a team the caliber of GS to add Durant? Damn.

Another thing I hate the most are the bandwagon fans. I'm not talking about the Bay Area peeps who've been watching them toil away for decades, I'm talking about people in New York or Philly who suddenly became "lifelong Warriors fans" in 2015. One of my good friends is a massive Warriors fan: he started watching in 2015 and claimed he was a lifer (this despite never having step foot in Cali). These bandwagoners are the main reason I hate GS.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't speak for everyone, but I've hated GSW since they hired Mark Jackson. Jackson is loathsome for many reasons, and those who were paying attention back then could see his obnoxious attitude rubbing off on the players. Part of my problem with the Warriors' arrogance and cockiness is that it started before they were good. The only thing more annoying than a 73-win Warriors team acting like God's gift to basketball is a 23-win Warriors team acting like God's gift to basketball. I was rolling my eyes at Jarrett Jack's flops, Bogut's illegal screens and elbows, and Draymond's dirty plays back when the media declared them the most lovable team to ever play and all the casual fans were buying in.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It happens to every single team that gets good. One year they're the plucky underdog. Then they win an unexpected championship. Then we're so over their bull :censored:. And then they become the Patriots and ruin their sport.

I was alive but not really paying attention to the Jordan Bulls. And inasmuch as I was, I was hoping the Knicks could beat them (lol). That said, Jordan was the most popular athlete of the day and outside of Rodman, who was more wacky than nuts at that point, there wasn't anyone especially unlikeable on that team. Though others may say different.

What's different to me about these Warriors is:

- their roster is a glitch in the system (Curry's contract coming after an injury) that has been lionized as brilliant management. No, it was luck.

- Durant magnified that glitch

- Draymond is their most important player, a singular talent in the league, and also, at times, dangerous

- they have Boston syndrome, where they simultaneously want to be known as the greatest team but also want you to know that nobody believes in them. You can't have it both ways.

- they're really really really good and I'm getting older so having a harder time accepting new things. It will happen to you one day too

- the Bay Area is indeed the worst, though I should note I turned down the only job I've ever been offered there and that was a weird diversion from talking hoops

I think Supernova Steph is among the most amazing sports spectacles in the league and I tip my hat when he gets to that level. At the same time, I do wonder if he could simarly transform the, say, Charlotte Hornets the way LeBron took a sad sack Cavs team to the Finals a year after missing the Playoffs.

The NBA more than any other league is about individual greatness leading talent to a title. The Warriors flip that, as their a perfect harmony of team that makes the individual parts better.... And in typing that out it's hard to really see what my problem is.

Anyway, I'm still rooting for Houston or San Antonio out west.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Basketball is easily the most bandwagon-friendly team sport of all. The amount of people I know in Arkansas who normally root for an in-state team in football but then are Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas fans for basketball is mind boggling. That said, go Grizzlies. 

12 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Basketball is easily the most bandwagon-friendly team sport of all. The amount of people I know in Arkansas who normally root for an in-state team in football but then are Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas fans for basketball is mind boggling. That said, go Grizzlies. 

Not saying you're wrong about bandwagon fans, but I don't think that's the same as fans of NBA teams. The NBA has many teams in untraditional markets (Utah, OKC, Orlando) and leaves out some traditional ones (STL, Baltimore, *Seattle*). The fans of the larger markets which would ordinarily have a team have to latch onto a team from another city/state.

NSFCvyu.png

Toronto basically rolled over and died tonight.

Even when the Raptors were up, it felt like the game was totally in control for Cleveland. Ouch.

EDIT: Also, Cleveland's up 20 with four minutes to go. Tony Parker just broke his damn leg. Why is LeBron still playing?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1-Since Cleveland can close out on Sunday and how the other Eastern series is looking, the Cavs may not play again until Wednesday, May 17 as a BOS/WAS Game 7 would be on Monday.

2- I had check Wiki to see if Norman Powell's pops was also named Norman because I thought we were done making Normans.

Pops is a Norman.

On 2017-05-02 at 1:29 AM, SabresRule7361 said:

Seriously, this guy thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Being the best player in the world helps foster that attitude. What's your problem with him again?

I notice you're just as negative about Crosby in the NHL thread. Why do you hate greatness and exciting play on the court/ice?

On 2017-04-28 at 0:40 AM, SabresRule7361 said:

Raptors in 6.

I think the Cavs are about to get blindsided ala the Lakers vs. the Mavs in 2011.

Cleveland is an overconfident arrogant team that thinks the Finals are their birthright- they're about to get some humble pie.

Well you sure nailed that one! 

*grumbles*

34 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

This Spurs/Rockets game is like going back to 1998 Eastern Conference. 

The Summit is now a church, but both teams are channeling their inner John Starks.

*-Damn it, I may have pulled a "Frankie Midnight".

My apologies.

10 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

l9lYNbP.gif

Absolute sorcery.

He's at a level in his game where he literally can do just about anything he wants to. It's truly remarkable.

I was around for Jordan - and yes, that's the easy comparison to make - but watching LeBron is, in all seriousness, just like watching Jordan. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm not worried as a Raptors and Jazz fan. Got the Cavs and Warriors right where we want 'em

#NotEvenHard

*drinks heavily* 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm not worried as a Raptors and Jazz fan. Got the Cavs and Warriors right where we want 'em

#NotEvenHard

*drinks heavily* 

I'm sorry, Cap. It sucks enough when your favorite team runs into a buzzsaw. But both?

66603877.jpg

There's always room at AA. :P :huh: :(-_-

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived