The 2017 NBA Playoffs: This Is A Recording

buzzcut

On 5/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, Rockstar Matt said:

Honestly, LeBron is playing at a level that I've never seen in my lifetime. He's already top 5 in my opinion, and the greatest player to play since Jordan (coming from a person who's all-time favorite player, regardless of sport, is Kobe). If he can beat the Warriors again in the Finals this season, he'll be officially the 2nd greatest player of all-time. 

I can't understand how anyone can still not appreciate LeBron's greatness. We're watching something we will never see again in basketball.

I think one can appreciate his talents and still be tired of seeing him and his team reach the NBA Finals.  I can certainly understand the viewpoint of "Oh man, LeBron's in the Finals again for the 7th time in a row", and with the gap seemingly not getting any smaller between LeBron's team and the rest of the teams in the Eastern Conference.  I get the frustration of seeing the same guy enjoy the same success year after year, and I think that's compounded by the fact that there's simply been no drama and no unexpected results so far in these NBA playoffs. 

Like I've said before, there's simply been no reason to tune in for this postseason because Cleveland and Golden State are easily the best teams in their conference, Spurs/Rockets and Boston/Toronto clearly a tier below but better than the rest of their conference, and the rest of the teams simply filling out the calendar because NBA Rules dictate that 8 teams make the playoffs.  Just no real intrigue.  You can only pump up Wizards/Hawks or Bucks/Raptors or Rockets/Spurs so much before you realize that series is ultimately worthless because of the buzzsaw coming up.  The only series that has no definitive favorite and will actually be worth watching is the Warriors/Cavs series coming up.  When the conference finals series' have leads of 25 and 41.....snore.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spurs/Warriors would have been a series until Zaza took out their best player.

The Tom Brady/LeBron James comparison is really bothering me. Unlike my NFL fandom, where I root for the Bills, I don't have any particular allegiance in the NBA. So while I recognize that the current Pats dynasty is probably the great in NFL history, I'd be okay never ever seeing them in a championship game again.

Of course, the makeup of the NBA is so different from the NFL that you'd expect to see turnover in football. But even still, it's been an interesting lesson is perspective.

EDIT: If nothing else, the Cavs tearing apart the Celtics is penance for those Pats Super Bowl wins.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Spurs/Warriors would have been a series until Zaza took out their best player.

The Tom Brady/LeBron James comparison is really bothering me. Unlike my NFL fandom, where I root for the Bills, I don't have any particular allegiance in the NBA. So while I recognize that the current Pats dynasty is probably the great in NFL history, I'd be okay never ever seeing them in a championship game again.

Of course, the makeup of the NBA is so different from the NFL that you'd expect to see turnover in football. But even still, it's been an interesting lesson is perspective.

EDIT: If nothing else, the Cavs tearing apart the Celtics is penance for those Pats Super Bowl wins.

The comparison is sound, though.  There are teams/players where you just get tired of seeing win year after year after year after year.  LeBron and Brady are on that level of the Yankees, Duke basketball, Alabama football, the Red Wings, etc.....folks want to see these perennial winners get knocked off.

I think Boston sports fans will be alright, even if there's four beatdowns in this series.  Patriots will be strong contenders for the Super Bowl, the Red Sox are touted as World Series contenders, the Bruins made the playoffs, and the Celtics' consolation prize...no matter what happens this series....is the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Oh, no!

LeBron wasn't one of the three finalists for NBA MVP.  I guess he will drop 40 tonight as a reminder he IS the league's best player.

I told y'all before tip off, he was going to do this!

2 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

That pick ain't gonna help you next year either....then you gots to choose to give IT a max deal.

Don't care, have another top 5 pick next year.

IT is 5-8, a total liability on defense, and a non-factor if his shot isn't falling. I appreciate what he's done but he shouldn't get a max contract. Not from us at least.

1 minute ago, C's said:

Don't care, have another top 5 pick next year.

IT is 5-8, a total liability on defense, and a non-factor if his shot isn't falling. I appreciate what he's done but he shouldn't get a max contract. Not from us at least.

Draft picks don't matter. Let me remind you from your previous experience.

Old Rick told it like it, tee eye izz.

Just now, dfwabel said:

Draft picks don't matter. Let me remind you from your previous experience.

Old Rick told it like it, tee eye izz.

What the hell are you even talking about? Are you high?

Archived