The 2017 NBA Playoffs: This Is A Recording

buzzcut

10 hours ago, CS85 said:

Golden State winning doesn't mean dick to me, but Durant's selfish quest to bedazzle his fingers at the expense of anything that made the NBA romantic and true is and always will be a disgusting and classless move.  

Weak, gutless, spineless; all those are words I would use to describe Durant's move...but classless? Come on man. Durant is one of the more quiet and subservient guys in the league. He doesn't bring attention to himself and he's not obnoxious. He is a team player who respects his opponents and the fans. Calling his move classless is way off base.

10 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Also side note; Those championship hats are ugly as :censored:. 

Who the hell approved those? The were ugly as :censored:.

NSFCvyu.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Six said:

I took Durant's advice weeks ago and didn't watch. I don't feel like I've missed anything at all. Hopefully next season's NBA has compelling games to watch.

Same here. Well, I watched maybe a grand total of ten minutes of the whole series, but still. Didn't care, still don't care, and I'm really glad it's over. 

I don't think next year will be any more competitive or compelling, but I hope so. I'd really like to enjoy the NBA again, but it's gonna take a bit more parity and competition for me to really give a crap about it again. Heck, I'd even get a shot of adrenaline if either the Warriors or Cavs (preferably Cavs) kept coming back but had a different opponent each time like the Bulls or Lakeshow did. At least then there'd be some intrigue. But until then, once the Jazz are out, I'm done. I'm just not a fan enough of the NBA to care. Sorry.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Why is everyone hating on  KD, but not on Luc Robitaille? He basically did the same thing in 2002 with the Red Wings.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

9 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Why is everyone hating on  KD, but not on Luc Robitaille? He basically did the same thing in 2002 with the Red Wings.

He was 35 years old when he went to the Red Wings. Hardly comparable to a 27-year-old Durant joining the 73-win team he had just choked against.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Why is everyone hating on the Warriors, but not on the 2002 Red Wings? Is it because it was guys' last chance to get a Cup in '02?

Advantage: hockey.  You can't really create a "super team" in hockey.  Did that turn the Red Wings from "really solid contender" into "guaranteed Cup winner?"  That's not even possible in hockey.  One player can be a great added asset, but given the impact of one player (40+ out of 48 minutes in hoops and less than 50% of minutes in hockey) and the randomness of the NHL playoffs, an acquisition like that really can't match an acquisition like Durant.

Now the Red Wings were the Yankees for a while in terms of out-spending (at least that's how I recall, I am sure someone can prove me wrong) and that's not something I love about sports.  But there is no way this is an equivalency.

Durant's move took all the intrigue out of the last season.  That did not happen in the NHL.  Certainly, other circumstances contributed to the impact of Durant's move, but was the death blow to the season.  And now, for at least two years, we 1) accept the inevitable, 2) cheer for injury, or 3) hope the Cavs can "super-up" their team so the finals can be interesting (at the cost of the other 28 teams changing their names to "Generals.")

Regarding ring chasing, I am supportive of "last chance" ring chases when a guy's current team isn't going to do it.  Ray Bourque.  Karl Malone.  Etc.  Durant wasn't there yet.  Not only that, but he was on the precipice of slaying the dragon.  That combined with the fact that he could have singed on for one more year before "can't beat 'em join 'em" makes the move lame.  And, he did what he had the right to do, but we don't have to like it.

And unfortunately, this is the one sport in which this kinda stuff can not only create haves and have-nots like 1990s baseball, but can make the way a season plays out totally without mystery from training camp.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I thought Lacob was waiting to make a decision on the WH visit. That's pretty rash to make it now.

The Warriors are free to go or not as is their choice here in the States. I would probably go, but that's just me.

NSFCvyu.png

That White House decision (which as of this post, has not been made) is probably the beginning of the end of this thread.

It did not occur to me that this would happen.  I was looking forward to some awkwardness; particularly with Kerr.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Because this is the 2017 NBA playoffs thread and not the Rite of Spring 2002 thread. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Because this is the 2017 NBA playoffs thread and not the Rite of Spring 2002 thread. 

I'd love to see what our Rite of Spring threads would have looked like in the 1980's and 1990's. Who would SabresRule be pissed about? What funny things would Admiral say? Along what lines would we argue about fanbases and player movement? 

16 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd love to see what our Rite of Spring threads would have looked like in the 1980's and 1990's. Who would SabresRule be pissed about? What funny things would Admiral say? Along what lines would we argue about fanbases and player movement? 

The 21-team league would have made it fun; some pretty mediocre teams got into the playoffs and, of some even made runs (1991 North Stars, for example, with the 17th best record in a 22-team league)

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

This is why I love this team

594013a2ea0be_ScreenShot2017-06-13at9_24_43AM.png.98666996a7104ee8e1a9172ad94391ef.png

I think it was Richard Jefferson last year who said he was happy to be part of the last NBA team to visit the White House.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Sure would be nice for me. I've always wondered what it's like to be a fan of that great team everyone hates.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

7 hours ago, Lights Out said:

No offense, but this is a really poor comparison. Durant was the CEO of his own Fortune 500 company and left in his prime to go be a middle manager at someone else's. Of course people would be scratching their heads at that career move.

I'm guessing none of us choked a 3-1 series lead in our old jobs. Nor are our jobs to entertain millions of people around the world. There's just no comparison.

That career move came with a $6 million pay increase (or 32% pay increase), a better chance at winning the biggest prize in his profession, and with having to do less heavy-lifting to do so.

How many people would still be scratching their heads?

Taking shots at Kevin Durant is stupid.  Winning is more fun than losing, and creates more money-making opportunities.  Life isn't fair, and sports isn't fair.  You can work hard and try to be the valiant knight that lifts an underdog team up and slays the beast, but then what happens when you commit to them and then the other good players leave?  Ownership doesn't commit to winning?  Other great teams just keep signing great players?

You know what happens?  You become one of those guys like Charles Barkley, who always has the stigma of never having won a title hovering over him.  Or Dan Marino.  There's plenty of people that for whatever reason will never consider someone one of the GOATs unless they have a title.  Well he just did something about that.

None of us will ever be in the same situation he was in, but if I was faced with these realities:

1.  is OKC really going to be able to afford more great players and keep westbrook if I sign for big bucks there?  Probably not.

2.  Do I want to have the pressure of being The Guy every single night, and have it be my fault if / when we don't win?

3.  Do I want to spend half the year in freaking Oklahoma or San Francisco?  I mean seriously.

4.  LOL THOSE THUNDER UNIFORMS THO.

I'd take a pay raise to move to San Francisco, have less job stress, win rings, and be a star in a legit major market.  It would be silly to do otherwise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived