The 2017 NBA Playoffs: This Is A Recording

buzzcut

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/16/2017 at 7:42 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

1. He didn't trade a championship trophy.  He had no chance of winning a championship trophy with the Sixers, and no chance of improving to that level by signing jabroni free agents.  The NBA make it darn-near impossible to build a team via free agents, and even then, they have to want to play together on your club.  You need to get some great players through the draft, then sign FAs to complement them.

My point was that being maybe good in 5 years doesn't mean anything to me if you're bad right now. You don't credit for something that might happen and you really don't get credit for something that hasn't happened. I would've given him credit after the fact had it worked, but then he never flipped the switch to try to win, which is the point of sports, and then wrote a 13 page letter about how he changed the game when he didn't. The balls on that guy to suck so hard on purpose, have nothing work out, and then claim you were right all along is impressive. 

2.  His tnaking was different.  It wasn't just be bad and get high picks.  It was also about trading anything with any value for picks, then packaging those picks for better picks, robbing the Kings into trading future #1s for jabroni players today, same with the Lakers.  Along the way he acquired so many freaking picks that if even a couple of them pan out, the team could be good.  What was the situation this year - they could have ended up with 3 of the top 6 picks had the balls bounced differently?  Something like that.  It was tanking, but it was calculated tanking.  Honestly, Sam Hinkie should be a verb.  "Hinkieing:Verb - Tanking... but better." 

That process is still nothing new. He was just bad on purpose for longer than other tnaks and tried to pass himself off as some kind of visionary because the team was bad on purpose for longer. He also used all those draft picks to take a bunch of injury prone big dudes when the entire sport is moving away from low post players. 2 points is less than 3 now that everybody can hit 3's at a rate that makes shooting a 2 a minus in opportunity cost. 

If the Sixers get good it won't have anything to do with Sam Hinkie that other GMs haven't also done and none of them scorched the Earth so badly in their market while doing it. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It was more than being bad on purpose. All that gets you is good picks. He did more. He collected pick after pick after pick. He had like 20-2nd rounders at some point, a ton of first rounders, and worked it so they have their own great pick plus potential #1 overall coming from LA and Sacramento. It's this foresight that gave them the assets needed to make the deal they did today. 

I get not giving him credit unless they win, but to instantly dismiss his tactics as quotidian tnaking isn't fair. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It was more than being bad on purpose. All that gets you is good picks. He did more. He collected pick after pick after pick. He had like 20-2nd rounders at some point, a ton of first rounders, and worked it so they have their own great pick plus potential #1 overall coming from LA and Sacramento. It's this foresight that gave them the assets needed to make the deal they did today. 

I get not giving him credit unless they win, but to instantly dismiss his tactics as quotidian tnaking isn't fair. 

We're not questioning whether he got assets.  We're (strongly) questioning whether he ever intended to do anything with those assets aside from parlay them into more assets with no intention of ever actually trying to win.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I question his judgment after he drafted three big men in a row, two of them injured.

He was great at asset management. Terrible at player development. A GM needs to be good at both. Or else go into finance and stop bothering everyone.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I question his judgment after he drafted three big men in a row, two of them injured.

He was great at asset management. Terrible at player development. A GM needs to be good at both. Or else go into finance and stop bothering everyone.

He also never put the picks around any adults. 2014-15, the adult in the locker room was one dude, Jason Richardson.  2015-16, J Rich was replaced with Carl Landry and Elton Brand.

Now, Brand is in the front office and the grownups are Jarryd Bayless and Gerald Henderson.

If you only stockpile picks without ever trying to win then you can just keep doing that as long as you have a job and tell people that's your process year after year and you can coast on the idea that it looks like you know what you're doing, a genius even. Like every year the team sucked again and one of the picks got hurt he'd just be like "you fools, you sweet stupid morons. This is all part of the plan. We're 10-72 on purpose." But if you actually try to start competing and your stockpile of picks amounts to nothing well then you look like just a guy who was bad for no reason, didn't know what you were doing, and you're a dumbass for wasting 4 years of your fanbase's time. 

I think he had it right to load up on picks, but was too chicken and/or up his own butt to actually start trying because then he wouldn't be able to live in that genius pocket anymore. That's why his letter was so bananapants nonsense. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

And it's going to be really annoying when the Sixers all play healthy this year and win 48 games.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I did hear that a year or two into the process he asked for a 8 (or some ridiculous number) year extension.  Maybe that was an indication of how long he thought the process would last, or maybe it was just for security so they couldn't just fire him for the team sucking (after hiring him to make the team suck.)

It's also possible that they hired him to tear it down, with no intention of letting him be the one to bring it back up.  I don't know his background but it could be that they always knew they'd go with a "basketball guy" (ugh) to end the process.

Maybe he would have ended it, maybe not.  We'll never know.  What we do know, is that Joel Embiid just shows up at random basketball courts and plays with people, then goes out to regular-ass bars to drink shirley temples.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2017/06/joel-embiid-is-the-new-everyman.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived