Which rebrands made this community react the most?

csura999

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Sabres one was definitely the most negative.  The most chaotic?  Probably the Clippers, namely because of the leaks and how much of a dumpster fire it was compared to the alternatives we got to preview.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Buffaslug. 

/thread

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wasn't there a whole thing when the OKC Thunder branding was unveiled where people had signatures featuring other bad logos talking trash to the Thunder logo? I don't know how much that counts as a rebrand since they left the Sonics name in Seattle, but they share the history or something goofy like that. 

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Wasn't there a whole thing when the OKC Thunder branding was unveiled where people had signatures featuring other bad logos talking trash to the Thunder logo? I don't know how much that counts as a rebrand since they left the Sonics name in Seattle, but they share the history or something goofy like that. 

There was a sig series of other NHL logos killing the Buffaslug. I can't remember anything about the Thunder, but I was on sabbatical at the time.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

There was a sig series of other NHL logos killing the Buffaslug. I can't remember anything about the Thunder, but I was on sabbatical at the time.

That might actually be what I was thinking about. Maybe somebody revived it for the Thunder as an homage to that then. It would make sense too since Buffaslug was 06 and the Thunder were just a couple years after that. 

The AZ Cardinals is the first one that came to mind for me.  The second was the Buffaslug.

Of course, the biggest news ever on the board was probably the NHL-wide Reebok Edge template switch.  There was a lot of speculation about teams having vertical stripes.  The sky was falling before the change.  Then the change hit. Thirty teams, mostly downgrades.  Lots of outrage about the Islanders and Oilers.  Unhappiness with a few other teams (Avs, Panthers, Penguins).  Displeasure with the lack of hem stripes.  Nearly universal love of Boston's change.

But for an individual team, it was probably the Buffaslug.  That was the most unified we ever were of our hate of a team's change. Most people hated the logo and a lot of people hoping for something based more on the original look were just let down that moving to blue/yellow did not come with something resembling the classic logo. 

A lot of other changes have been somewhat polarizing...that is, if most people don't like it, there's always someone who says "man, you guys just hate everything."  But with the Slug, it was nearly universal.  On the opposite end of the spectrum was the most recent Blue Jays change.  Almost all of us loved it 1) because most of us did not like the Black Jays (at least not as much as the classic look and 2) because they really did nail the rebrand.

The Vikings had a pretty long thread, as did the Dolphins.  (Red Wolf just posted about the Thunder...) The Thunder brought us together in regards to the awful logo.

• Most loved: Blue Jays (MLB), Bruins (NHL), NFL (not sure, Vikings?), Hornets (NBA)
  • Most hated: Current Diamondbacks (MLB), Buffaslug (NHL), Jacksonville (NFL), Clippers (NBA; though lots of choices, like the OKC or Suns)
  • Most Polarizing: Marlins (MLB), NHL (maybe something Dallas did?), Seattle (NFL), NBA (Not sure; Bucks? Jazz?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I definitely remember the Buffaslug causing an amazing amount of hatred from almost everybody. To the point  of people coming up with images of the other NHL logos putting it out of its misery. (And I distinctly remember a picture where the slug was used as trumps hair).  People were meming before memes became a "thing". That was an abomination that thankfully died as quickly as needed.

The Blue Jays, as I said, was almost universally praised. It was an update to an image that was absolutely needed for the Jays. 

I distinctly remember the Cardinals being a major traffic bringer mostly because they didn't move that while drastic, took one already existed and improved upon it. I even remember the Reveal gift that had an egg with the old logo on it that hatched the new logo. What a time.

People have said that the Cardinals reveal almost brought the boards down but I do remember one change that the boards actually crashed for a few hours. I can't remember exactly but there was so many people that the boards actually did crash for a short while. It was nuts!

and yeah the Clippers trainwreck is still a massive trainwreck

The BuffaSlug was such a betrayal.  They went from something reasonably dignified to this complete disaster.  It was laughable.  That thread was legendary.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The one that sticks out most to me is the Buffaslug. The new Browns uniforms were a pretty big deal too, but that one may seem bigger to me than it actually was because it involved one of my teams. 

The Browns were part of an offseason of several flips, I feel.  Wasn't it Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Miami who all got new looks that offseason?

twitter

2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The Browns were part of an offseason of several flips, I feel.  Wasn't it Cleveland, Tampa Bay, and Miami who all got new looks that offseason?

And the Vikings?  I feel like the Vikings were along with Miami.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:
6 minutes ago, CS85 said:

And the Vikings?  I feel like the Vikings were along with Miami.

I think the Vikings, Jags, Miami, and Bucs maybe, were the same year. The Browns switched the following season. 

BB52Big.jpg

42 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I seem to recall the Reebok Edgification of the NHL got some traction too....

Yup. Even before the Edge roll out, people were predicting doomsday because of a single template design used in the 2007 All Star Game.

50 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The BuffaSlug was such a betrayal.  They went from something reasonably dignified to this complete disaster.  It was laughable.  That thread was legendary.

That was such a piss take by the Sabres.

"What's that? You want blue and gold? Well then, how about this!"

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:
  • Most Polarizing: Marlins (MLB), NHL (maybe something Dallas did?), Seattle (NFL), NBA (Not sure; Bucks? Jazz?

Maybe a little biased here but I'd add the Anaheim Ducks to the Most Polarizing list. I don't remember how big a reaction it got at the time, but I've lost count of how many logo threads have been Duckjacked to this day.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived