Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

27500.jpg

Something like ^ this ^ would be cool! :)

Very nice! I can totally see a really beautiful logo based on that image. With a little tweaking, I could even see slipping a nice subtle S into the logo too. Depending on how close to the source material they wanted to get, I could even see something with a bit of a Starbucks-esque woodcut/engraving look to it. Really own the antique nautical look. 

12 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Although Totems is the best choice, I don't know how "Breakers" didn't make the list. That was the Thunderbirds' original name.

This isn't a final list. These are the names that DetroitHockey.net discovered the investment group had registered domains for. It's possible they could still purchase a domain for Breakers, or buy the domain for Thunderbirds, etc. I mean, last time this guy did this he opined that Vegas's team name would be the Desert Knights or Nighthawks. Neither of which turned out to be the actual name. So this list is by no means binding.

We have mustangs, colts, broncos, etc...

How about "Sea Horses" based on that PLNU logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

34 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

This isn't a final list. These are the names that DetroitHockey.net discovered the investment group had registered domains for. It's possible they could still purchase a domain for Breakers, or buy the domain for Thunderbirds, etc. I mean, last time this guy did this he opined that Vegas's team name would be the Desert Knights or Nighthawks. Neither of which turned out to be the actual name. So this list is by no means binding.

Very true, although in broad terms it does provide some insight into the organization's preferences. For starters, the names being considered by the Seattle group are much more diverse and straightforward compared to those being floated by Foley. Looking back, it's very clear Las Vegas was either going to be the Adjective Knights or the Adjective Hawks, and considering the existence of the Blackhawks, the smart money was always on Knights. Someday I'd love to see an official accounting of the Las Vegas branding process as I feel like the exact chronology is hard to pin down. I swear I've seen quotes from Foley that Black Knights was actually shot down by the Blackhawks, not the US Army. In which case I can't help but wonder if all the Hawk names were just potshots taken at Chicago after the fact.

Anyway, comparing the two lists it seems clear that the Seattle group is taking a very different approach. While they don't have a specific identity that they're focusing on, they do appear to appreciate the character of the market and want to connect the team to hockey history. They're also engaging in the naming/branding process much earlier. The previous article about potential Las Vegas names was published in August of 2016 with the Golden Knights brand being unveiled in November (two months and five months after the franchise was awarded...respectively). Seattle hasn't officially been awarded a franchise, and yet they're clearly already working on their brand.

While I'm not thrilled with all the names, and recognize the final name could be something completely different (Breakers and Sea Wolves are both personal favorites), I am very happy with their approach and I'm cautiously optimistic. 

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

We have mustangs, colts, broncos, etc...

How about "Sea Horses" based on that PLNU logo.

That could work...although I admit my secret hope is that Portland lands the Coyotes and we see the return of the Portland Buckaroos. It's a total fantasy but I'd love to see the Totems/Buckaroos rivalry reincarnated in the NHL. 

Count me in for either Totems or Sea Lions, although use an actual sea lion in the logo, not like an African lion on a surfboard

As for Seals, wouldn't the Sharks still technically own those trademarks from the Gunds? Or did those rights revert back to the NHL at some point? 

A part of me isn't too keen on Seals. It's one thing for a team to relocate and take their name with them or modify it to fit their new locale, but an expansion team sharing their name with an old team that played in a different city would be a bit weird. On the other hand, it's not as if the original Seals are ever coming back. Seattle Seals or Seattle Sea Lions works well enough. Neither would be my preffered choice but I'd be fine with it I guess.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

36 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Count me in for either Totems or Sea Lions, although use an actual sea lion in the logo, not like an African lion on a surfboard

As for Seals, wouldn't the Sharks still technically own those trademarks from the Gunds? Or did those rights revert back to the NHL at some point? 

The Sharks are considered a 90s expansion team even though the League treated their creation as a reversal of the Seals/Barons-North Stars merger. 

So if anyone owns the Seals’ trademarks? It’s either the Stars or the League. 

Oh my God the idea of a sea lion mascot that can't get up on its feet and just has to flop around the ice going ORP ORP ORP, dragging its ass clapping its hands or holding up a MAKE SOME NOISE sign, it's wonderful!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You can tell me if I'm being overly literal, but you see far, far more seals here than you do sea lions. I see seals in Elliott Bay (the great expanse of water west Seattle that leads to the Puget Sound) often. I've seen a sea lion exactly once, in the canal eating salmon at a fish ladder like an opportunistic :censored:.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

So if anyone owns the Seals’ trademarks? It’s either the Stars or the League. 

If the jersey options in NHL 18 are to be believed, It's Dallas.

You can tell me if I'm being overly literal, but you see far, far more seals here than you do sea lions. I see seals in Elliott Bay (the great expanse of water west Seattle that leads to the Puget Sound) often. I've seen a sea lion exactly once, in the canal eating salmon at a fish ladder like an opportunistic :censored:.

You must not have been around when Herschel was wreaking havoc with the steelhead run. Sea Lions were in the news a lot that year and I would imagine that, despite the population numbers, more (older) people are aware of sea lions around here.

52 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I grew up on southern Vancouver Island, pretty close to Seattle. In my experience the difference isn't so much that there are more seals than sea lions, its that seals like to chill in harbours and waterways, and even get fed by tourists, whereas Sea Lions tend to prefer open water and more remote rocks and such.

1 hour ago, OMMF said:

You must not have been around when Herschel was wreaking havoc with the steelhead run. Sea Lions were in the news a lot that year and I would imagine that, despite the population numbers, more (older) people are aware of sea lions around here.

I wasn't! If that's the case, then I take back my objections.

I'm anti-Totems. Seals or Sea Lions could be a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived