Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

The colors are almost 100% assuredly NOT blue and green.

“The colors are really important. And I think one of the challenges that we have in our colors is that if you said ‘Well, are you gonna use the traditional Seattle team colors?’ – putting the Huskies aside – the Canucks use a blue and green scheme in their uniform,” Leiweke said of Vancouver’s NHL franchise. “So on the colors we might be forced to think outside of the box a little bit.”

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw a Seattle NHL post hidden in it by a poster was a poll. 63% of the people (450+ votes) voted in favor of Kraken.  With 4 names that is a high percentage for a name, the other 3 the next highest was about 25%.  

Leaked or not only one name makes sense at this point that is free of copyrights etc. Kraken. 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

2 hours ago, Commish2 said:

Just saw a Seattle NHL post hidden in it by a poster was a poll. 63% of the people (450+ votes) voted in favor of Kraken.  With 4 names that is a high percentage for a name, the other 3 the next highest was about 25%.  

Leaked or not only one name makes sense at this point that is free of copyrights etc. Kraken. 

I’d say that’s either blatantly false or spun. 

10 hours ago, Commish2 said:

Considering the Seattle Times poll had Kraken pulling a Tampa Bay and getting eliminated handily in the first round, I somehow doubt that the name is that popular.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Considering the Seattle Times poll had Kraken pulling a Tampa Bay and getting eliminated handily in the first round, I somehow doubt that the name is that popular.

Well, it was popular among the subset of people who felt compelled to answer that poll.

Nothing more to be gleaned from it.

It's where I sit.

13 hours ago, Commish2 said:

uhh...care to post a screenshot of this?

The most likely reason Kraken won that Twitter poll is probably because outside fans that are on Twitter seem to really like the name. It's a lot of younger hockey fans too that have rallied behind it (Teens/Early 20's). Yet those actually in Seattle don't like it. They see it as minor league and hokey, which it is. Yet this outside fanbase has been very loud and boisterous... 

You see how that could frustrate ownership? Do they appeal to the Seattle people or try to get nation wide fan support? Do they try to get younger hockey fans excited and hyped... and if so, would Sockeyes do that better than Kraken? 

I still think Sockeyes trumps Kraken... it's the New Jersey Swamp Dragons of this era, basically. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

If they really wanted to see what the public wanted, they should just do what the Seattle MLS franchise did and put it out for a vote. At that time fans were given these choices. 

A. Seattle Alliance

B. Seattle FC

C. Seattle Republic

D. Write In (which turned out to be the Sounders)

Either put it to a vote or pick a name and own it. 

Instead they're doing a great job of being mostly silent and showing no presence in the city.

Even the Dragons sold sweatshirts downtown; why can't I buy an NHL Seattle hat anywhere?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

21 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Instead they're doing a great job of being mostly silent and showing no presence in the city.

Even the Dragons sold sweatshirts downtown; why can't I buy an NHL Seattle hat anywhere?

This expansion, despite being a “traditional” hockey market (I use that word loosely), is going far worse than the Vegas one in terms of brand presence and identity.

Still, Krāken is stupid. But not as stupid as Totems.

2 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

uhh...care to post a screenshot of this?

If my shot does not work, look it up on their twitter feed... it is dated 4/10 you will see a bunch of polls and a post in that about a team name with a poll.  

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Well, it was popular among the subset of people who felt compelled to answer that poll.

Nothing more to be gleaned from it.

Really because every poll that is given people dismiss the result, the result shows that Kraken wins the poll either by large numbers or small.  So glean from it what you will.

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

16 minutes ago, Commish2 said:

Really because every poll that is given people dismiss the result, the result shows that Kraken wins the poll either by large numbers or small.  So glean from it what you will.

Except for the one poll that we know matters (the Seattle Times poll, which we've known the ownership group has been referencing for a while), where it got completely decimated by Steelheads in the first round. What name won that poll? Sockeyes.

It doesn't matter if Random Twitter Poll #90210 ended up in favor of "Kraken" if the group doesn't use Random Twitter Poll #90210 as reference.

12 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Who here has a problem with the name “Seattle Tridents”? 

I’m honestly shocked that name hasn’t come up more often. 
 “Kraken” i think is just ok. 

I wouldn't mind Tridents. You can still use some of the same Kraken imagery, with a much less clunky name. It's certainly not the best option (I'd go with sockeyes or emeralds), but that's easily top 5.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

23 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Who here has a problem with the name “Seattle Tridents”? 

I’m honestly shocked that name hasn’t come up more often. 
 “Kraken” i think is just ok. 

I assume Tridents was passed on due to the Mariners. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived