Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

All blues scales employ dissonance! am I going crazy?

Well dissonance is subjective and largely cultural, but I would say just because something isn't built entirely around the Major/Pentatonic scale doesn't inherently make it dissonant.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totems and Emeralds aren't the first names that pop up when you're talking about names being fierce and aggresive. 

But look at Firebirds, it's on the list of names copyrighted as potential names, not on the top of everyone's list nor the odds on favorite; but think about it, Seattle is located on the Ring of Fire ( don't know what it is? Google it), there are volcanoes and mountains that are dormant volcanoes (Mt. Rainier is one of them!), when Mount St. Helen blew its top or any mountain/ volcano does, people locally certainly take notice or head for cover! So while the Firebirds could represent a bird like Rodan from the Godzilla movies that appears out of a mountain or volcano, or the symbol of Native American culture, I can see why it was picked. 

I live Michigan, and I'm surprised why the name Freighters hasn't popped up as a name for sports team around here, since those steamships frequently traverse the Great Lakes, theres a restaurant at our local convention center named it, but thats beside the point. 

2 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Totems and Emeralds aren't the first names that pop up when you're talking about names being fierce and aggresive. 

But look at Firebirds, it's on the list of names copyrighted as potential names, not on the top of everyone's list nor the odds on favorite; but think about it, Seattle is located on the Ring of Fire ( don't know what it is? Google it), there are volcanoes and mountains that are dormant volcanoes (Mt. Rainier is one of them!), when Mount St. Helen blew its top or any mountain/ volcano does, people locally certainly take notice or head for cover! So while the Firebirds could represent a bird like Rodan from the Godzilla movies that appears out of a mountain or volcano, or the symbol of Native American culture, I can see why it was picked. 

I live Michigan, and I'm surprised why the name Freighters hasn't popped up as a name for sports team around here, since those steamships frequently traverse the Great Lakes, theres a restaurant at our local convention center named it, but thats beside the point. 

I have to disagree pretty strongly here. A volcanic themed name for Seattle is definitely interesting and a possibility I hadn't considered, but trying to attribute the name 'Firebirds' to it just sounds like scraping for justifications afterwords. The link is even more tenuous than Kraken.

59 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Firebirds was trademarked as one of the potential names for Seattle's future AHL team in Palm Springs. I believe it ran into trouble though because the Flint Firebirds of the OHL already exist.

So what? How many tigers, bulldogs, cougars, etc. Countless nicknames are used over and over, doesnt matter. Oh one team is using that name throw it out...geez. (rolls eyes)

They're only names people! What we have to be that technical that team name HAS to be associated with the city it represents? It cant have nothing to do with anything mystical/ imaginary, only an honest, realistic, present representation or you'll critize it? That pretty absurd and self centered don't you think?

31 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

So what? How many tigers, bulldogs, cougars, etc. Countless nicknames are used over and over, doesnt matter. Oh one team is using that name throw it out...geez. (rolls eyes)

It was rejected by a trademark office. That's more then just "oh throw it out someone else is using it".

31 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

They're only names people! What we have to be that technical that team name HAS to be associated with the city it represents? It cant have nothing to do with anything mystical/ imaginary, only an honest, realistic, present representation or you'll critize it? That pretty absurd and self centered don't you think?

This is a really passionate rebuttal to an argument nobody made.

1 hour ago, Tygers09 said:

Yeah I don’t think that’s what anyone is saying here... It’s more like if a team in Dallas decided to name themselves the Yetis. Sure Yetis could be a cool name, but what does Dallas have to do with a monster from the Himalayas? 

If they seriously used like the Seattle Sasquatch, or Sasquatches that would be a fine name. Honestly even better than anything else people have thrown around. But Kraken is one of those names that people think sounds cool. Things that are cool during a certain era aren’t always that great... I mean look at the 90’s. Those were some ugly times. Nothing really seems timeless from that era. I mean Seattle Kraken could sound really cool for a couple of year, but eventually it’s gonna be a little weird. A more timeless name would be something that really fits the area better. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I have to disagree pretty strongly here. A volcanic themed name for Seattle is definitely interesting and a possibility I hadn't considered, but trying to attribute the name 'Firebirds' to it just sounds like scraping for justifications afterwords. The link is even more tenuous than Kraken.

To me, using a name like “Firebirds” is a clever way to combine the geological character of the region with one of its most well known indigenous myths (Thunderbird), and I don’t see it as scraping for justification at all. I think it’s actually a very easy connection to make. It also personifies the concept into a tangible subject that acts as a metaphor for the region’s volcanic activity. Using a literal volcanic name, by comparison, seems a bit flat, and I don’t think it lends itself as easily to creating a compelling logo (not to mention the fact that there are only a few volcanic terms good enough to be a team name).

“Spitfires” is another name with similar potential, as it could allude to both an erupting volcano and something like a dragon as a logo or mascot.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

“Spitfires” is another name with similar potential, as it could allude to both an erupting volcano and something like a dragon as a logo or mascot.

I like that idea quite a bit. It's not historically accurate, but I could also see incorporating a WW2 fighter plane element as a nod to Boeing (even though they weren't involved in the design or production of the Spitfire specifically).

I suspect the Windsor Spitfires would ultimately challenge the trademark though (not unlike the London Knights or the Flint Firebirds). 

8 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

It matters to me, I hate it.

In college it's not a big deal.  In the pros where there is more marketing and brand identity it does matter. 

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

In college it's not a big deal.  In the pros where there is more marketing and brand identity it does matter. 

So you can’t stand the idea that there’s a SF Giants and a NY Giants? 

On a side note, a bit out there but what about...

“Seattle Forest Giants”

Alludes to old growth spruce/cedar trees as well as possibly Sasquatch, in a way that the team can have a unique identity, but also a classic name (Giants). You can just call em the Giants if you want. It has a “Golden Knights” ring to it and I know that’s not the most popular name, but the idea has stuck with me since I dreamt it up a while back. 

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Yeah, I bet the same was said about the Penguins when they entered the league too?!

I was giving reference not a suggestion!

12 minutes ago, king_mahalo said:

So you can’t stand the idea that there’s a SF Giants and a NY Giants? 

On a side note, a bit out there but what about...

“Seattle Forest Giants”

Alludes to old growth spruce/cedar trees as well as possibly Sasquatch, in a way that the team can have a unique identity, but also a classic name (Giants). You can just call em the Giants if you want. It has a “Golden Knights” ring to it and I know that’s not the most popular name, but the idea has stuck with me since I dreamt it up a while back. 

Nah, but I doubt there would be a third pro sports team called the Giants.   It's the 76 COLLEGE TEAMS called the Eagles that piss me off.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived