Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

An "NHL Seattle Countdown" twitter account ran an interesting poll.

They offered voters 4 options (Love It! Like It. Dislike It. Hate It!) on all the contending names.

Looked like this...

spacer.png

"Thunderbirds" scored very well with a 33.2% Love It! and a 28.6% Like It...

Which prompted a respondant to wonder if the naming date, was delayed 'til the end of the WHL season? Hmmmm.

Is T-Birds a viable option? It certainly would tick a lot of boxes. Mythical Creature (Top choice in recent NHL Seattle Fan Poll), Indigenous Theme (the Louis Gong connection), and, maybe best of all, it snacks on Orcas.

https://twitter.com/NHLSeaCountdown/status/1222948378683686912

Could be simply that Thunderbirds scored well because it's an existing name that fans already know about.  I don't think it would make a whole lot of sense for the NHL team to use the name.  The Thunderbirds are still around.  It's not like they disappeared twenty years ago, which if they did, then Seattle NHL could take it if that's what they want.  Now, Super Sonics.  I believe that name is open and there hasn't been a team with that name for quite a while.  

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The Thunderbirds are still around.  It's not like they disappeared twenty years ago, which if they did, then Seattle NHL could take it if that's what they want.  Now, Super Sonics.  I believe that name is open and there hasn't been a team with that name for quite a while.  

no, it isn’t. 

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

no, it isn’t. 

Well, it's only a few million to get the name and it's not like it's being used by anyone.  I think it would be the best decision ever.  The first ever NHL team with a NBA Championship.

5 hours ago, Mingjai said:

With the Barcelona thing, I still find it funny that in Catalan, it isn't "Barthelona"

I just find it obnoxious how so many English speakers insist on using the foreign pronunciation of places to sound more intelligent/enlightened.

I don't call Paris 'Peh-Ree' because the English name/pronunciation is "Pehr-Riss", Just like I wouldn't say "My friend is from 'Deutschland'" because the English name for the country is "Germany". Nor would I expect someone speaking French to call it 'England' in the midst of their French sentence instead of 'Angleterre'".

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Well, it's only a few million to get the name and it's not like it's being used by anyone.  I think it would be the best decision ever.  The first ever NHL team with a NBA Championship.

Yeah, that ain’t happening. Seattle has a long and important history with the Sonics and it’s a travesty they aren’t still here. Thank David Stern and a handful of incompetent city politicians

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

Yeah, that ain’t happening. Seattle has a long and important history with the Sonics and it’s a travesty they aren’t still here. Thank David Stern and a handful of incompetent city politicians

It is joke.  Just like the idea of taking the Thunderbirds name.

18 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I just find it obnoxious how so many English speakers insist on using the foreign pronunciation of places to sound more intelligent/enlightened.

I don't call Paris 'Peh-Ree' because the English name/pronunciation is "Pehr-Riss", Just like I wouldn't say "My friend is from 'Deutschland'" because the English name for the country is "Germany". Nor would I expect someone speaking French to call it 'England' in the midst of their French sentence instead of 'Angleterre'".

I find foreign pronunciations more unintentionally entertaining than obnoxious. It makes me laugh, e.g., to hear Giada go out of her way to pronounce "spaghetti" in Italian as if she feels she need to prove to us all that she really can speak Italian. That said, I'll never really understand why Italian place names were Anglicized when their Italian forms were perfectly easy to say in English--Roma, Milano, Torino, Venezia, Firenza, Sicilia, Toscana, etc.

EDIT: Corrected Italian spellings as pointed out by Ferdinand Cesarano. This further illustrates the confusion caused by the unnecessary Anglicization.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

3 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I find foreign pronunciations more unintentionally entertaining than obnoxious. It makes me laugh, e.g., to hear Giada go out of her way to pronounce "spaghetti" in Italian as if she feels she need to prove to us all that she really can speak Italian. That said, I'll never really understand why Italian place names were Anglicized when their Italian forms were perfectly easy to say in English--Roma, Milano, Turino, Venezia, Firenza, Sicilia, Tuscana, etc.

I totally agree. While working in Milan, I worked with a guy whose mom was American and whose dad was Italian so he grew up speaking both. What I thought was amazing was that when he spoke English, his occasional Italian words (pizza, pasta, etc.) were pronounced as an English, non-native Italian speaker would pronounce them. Thought that was so cool.

As for foreign place names... 100% agree. Call them what the people that live there call them. Even with an English accent (eng. Ma-la-no vs italian Mee-la-no) it's better.

3 minutes ago, Mingjai said:
16 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I find foreign pronunciations more unintentionally entertaining than obnoxious. It makes me laugh, e.g., to hear Giada go out of her way to pronounce "spaghetti" in Italian as if she feels she need to prove to us all that she really can speak Italian. That said, I'll never really understand why Italian place names were Anglicized when their Italian forms were perfectly easy to say in English--Roma, Milano, Turino, Venezia, Firenza, Sicilia, Tuscana, etc.

You're right about the Italian place names; though please note that it's "Torino" and "Toscana".  Anyway, while I admit that I find myself saying "Rome", "Venice", and "Florence", I always say "Milano" and "Napoli".

Some place names get new forms in other languages — not just in English — and some place names don't.  The matter is not now and never has been consistent.  There is an Italian form for Paris ("Parigi"); but there is no Spanish form.  But for Nice there are separate forms both in Italian ("Nizza", pronounced like "pizza") and Spanish ("Niza", pronounced "neesa"). 

Sometimes all that changes is the pronunciation, not the spelling. Such is the case for the English-language names of Barcelona, Madrid, and Paris.  Whereas, Italian imposes not only its pronunciation conventions on its name for Barcelona (using its own typical C-before-E-or-I sound, the sound that we in English associate with "ch"), but also its orthographical conventions (using a double L: "Barcellona").

A neat twist is when various languages use names based on a form of a name that predates the modern form.  For instance, the names in English, Italian, and French for the city called Lisboa in Portuguese all contain the N that has been lost in the modern form of the Portuguese language.  The only remnant of that practice in English that I can think of can be found in the demonyms associated certain cities, names which are based on ancient Latin forms rather than the modern city names, demonyms such as "Mancunian", "Novocastrian", "Haligonian".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

Sometimes it can be amusing, but most of the time I hear it is because someone is trying to one-up or even correct you. "It's leviosa not leviosa". Which is annoying because you aren't wrong. You're speaking English, use the English word/pronunciation. When I hear someone speaking Canadian English drop "Mohn-Roy-Al Ca-Na-Dyun" with stank on it in the middle of an otherwise English sentence, its a bit pretentious to say the least. Rolling your 'r's when you order a burrito does not make you cultured.

What about trying to order quesadillas in a restaurant but reading the menu item as you’re saying it so you say “quesa-dilla” with both L’s to the waitress because you see both L’s? Asking for... a friend.

I didn’t expect my post about being annoyed about the spelling choices of another member would take off into this.

Add language-jacked to Cleve-jacked and Duck-jacked I guess?

IbjBaeE.png

22 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I cannot believe that "Kraken" was far more popular than "Breakers" which scored extremely poor in the polls. Thankfully, "Totems" is still highly popular.

NHL Seattle Countdown (@NHLSeaCountdown) Tweeted: Breakers https://twitter.com/NHLSeaCountdown/status/1222992327414710273?s=20

The sample size for these polls is hardly big enough to take them seriously.

At this point I don't think it's going to be possible for them to pick a name that's universally loved, so they should just go with whatever they think they can build the best brand around. 

5 hours ago, monkeypower said:

What about trying to order quesadillas in a restaurant but reading the menu item as you’re saying it so you say “quesa-dilla” with both L’s to the waitress because you see both L’s? Asking for... a friend.

This thread's gone to a weird place 😛

Just pick a name, Seattle! Geeze. The whole Vegas thing was a cluster :censored: but at least the guy in charge knew what he wanted to call the stupid team. I have the feeling NHL Seattle's powers that be are still frantically focus group testing names because the one they liked didn't do well according to the Twitters or some such nu-branding nonsense. 

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

All of this is even more reason to go the nuclear route and just say, fine NO NAME! We are Seattle. Period!

Nah. That's never going to fly in the Big Four of North American sports.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

All of this is even more reason to go the nuclear route and just say, fine NO NAME! We are Seattle. Period!

That would at least be preferable to a bad name that no one loves. 

So a bad name that no one would love is better than a bad name that no one would love.

[insert Dolphin helmet gif here]

It's where I sit.

Archived