Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

8 hours ago, JayMac said:

Which is fine but why did the owner say that it should be done by the all-star break? 

I'm not blaming the creative team at all. Management has somewhat mishandled this.

Because while that was the original target put forth last summer/fall, things happen. Remember, they were originally supposed to start playing in fall 2020, too. This is also a pretty extraordinary ownership group, with several important decision-makers who are very prominent and involved figures within their respective industries; you gotta work around their schedules, too.

If the choice is between rushing to hit an arbitrary date or missing it to get the identity and uniforms done right, I think the choice is easy, especially when there’s a global heath crisis going on.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

If the choice is between rushing to hit an arbitrary date or missing it to get the identity and uniforms done right, I think the choice is easy, especially when there’s a global heath crisis going on.

That's all fine and dandy but if they took this long just to make the """perfect""" "Krāken" logo then I'm going to call 'em a bunch of hosers 😛

17 hours ago, JayMac said:

Which is fine but why did the owner say that it should be done by the all-star break? 

I'm not blaming the creative team at all. Management has somewhat mishandled this.

The owners never promised anything by the all star break. They said it would likely be sometime during the first quarter of 2020, which caused people to hypothesize that a reveal would happen during the all star break. 

8 hours ago, IceCap said:

That's all fine and dandy but if they took this long just to make the """perfect""" "Krāken" logo then I'm going to call 'em a bunch of hosers 😛

I think we'd have seen the logo by now if they were that dead-set on "Krāken" as the team name. Makes me think that the holdup on the reveal is something legal...perhaps they're in negotiations for the name "Sockeyes"? 😜

22 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

At this point people would be happy to just know the name. No one is demanding a logo or uniforms just yet.

The Jets 2.0 announced their name at the draft, but didn't unveil the logos until later in the summer, and released the uniforms just before the start of the season. Even the Blue Jackets & Wild used placeholder logos before settling on their official ones.

5 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I think we'd have seen the logo by now if they were that dead-set on "Krāken" as the team name. Makes me think that the holdup on the reveal is something legal...perhaps they're in negotiations for the name "Sockeyes"? 😜

Who owns the rights to Sockeyes right now? The only thing I could see when looking into it was a fiction author in Washington.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

At this point people would be happy to just know the name. No one is demanding a logo or uniforms just yet.

The Jets 2.0 announced their name at the draft, but didn't unveil the logos until later in the summer, and released the uniforms just before the start of the season. Even the Blue Jackets & Wild used placeholder logos before settling on their official ones.

Yes, there are people clamoring for a name, but there’s no benefit for the team to announce it early. It just gives people an opportunity to critique an incomplete project before it’s properly contextualized. Everyone saw Vegas’ final name choices leak and all the vitriol that followed, then the logos and uniforms were revealed and everyone was like, “Wow, it actually ain’t that bad!”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Everyone saw Vegas’ final name choices leak and all the vitriol that followed, then the logos and uniforms were revealed and everyone was like, “Wow, it actually ain’t that bad!”

Vegas, for all of their shortcomings, had someone who knew what he wanted as far as an identity went.

The sense I get from the Seattle group is that there isn't that strong sense of direction.

54 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Vegas, for all of their shortcomings, had someone who knew what he wanted as far as an identity went.

The sense I get from the Seattle group is that there isn't that strong sense of direction.

I honestly think the team was planning to go with Kraken but when it was leaked everyone (rightfully) hated it so they had to quickly go back to the drawing board, hence the delay. I'm thinking that Sockeyes will be the final winner here.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, QCS said:

I honestly think the team was planning to go with Kraken but when it was leaked everyone (rightfully) hated it so they had to quickly go back to the drawing board, hence the delay. I'm thinking that Sockeyes will be the final winner here.

I’ve seen this theory a lot, but I have a really hard time believing a $650M professional sports organization “leaked” their name to gauge response or would completely reconsider their identity based on the response by idiots on twitter. 

16 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Clearly because Sparky said Krāken so many times, he now owns the trademark and the team is in the process of purchasing the rights from him. Sure, they could've gone with Kraken, but it's just so unrefined.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

4 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

I’ve seen this theory a lot, but I have a really hard time believing a $650M professional sports organization “leaked” their name to gauge response or would completely reconsider their identity based on the response by idiots on twitter. 

Who said they leaked it? It could have been that they were planning on going with Kraken, then someone leaked it and they saw the blowback. So they went back to square one. Someone who works for Adidas has confirmed that the logo's still not done yet, which means that it wouldn't have been too late in the process to change gears back when the leak happened.

As for "idiots on Twitter..."

It's not just idiots on Twitter. "Kraken" hasn't impressed in fan polls either.

Fact is that social media is still a new thing, and major corporations are still trying to figure out how much stock they should put into what it has to say. I'm not saying they scrapped a potential Kraken identity based entirely off of Twitter responses, but given how early that leak seems to have happened? Well I can believe that "Kraken" was scrapped after seeing a broader backlash against it.

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

Who said they leaked it? It could have been that they were planning on going with Kraken, then someone leaked it and they saw the blowback. So they went back to square one. Someone who works for Adidas has confirmed that the logo's still not done yet, which means that it wouldn't have been too late in the process to change gears back when the leak happened.

As for "idiots on Twitter..."

It's not just idiots on Twitter. "Kraken" hasn't impressed in fan polls either.

Fact is that social media is still a new thing, and major corporations are still trying to figure out how much stock they should put into what it has to say. I'm not saying they scrapped a potential Kraken identity based entirely off of Twitter responses, but given how early that leak seems to have happened? Well I can believe that "Kraken" was scrapped after seeing a broader backlash against it.

There had been some theories floating around that the team leaked it themselves to gauge a response. Regardless of who leaked it, redoing your identity from square one due to public reaction comes off as very unprofessional and indecisive.

Also they have been aware of the results of the Seattle Times name bracket poll for close to two years. (The one poll they have acknowledged their interest in.) If they proceeded with Kraken, they did so in spite of those polls. 

Furthermore, I don’t think they would’ve went back to the drawing board after the leak, partly because I wouldn’t call the public response a “blowback”. Maybe most people here didn’t like it. We’re sports uniform snobs. There were a lot of people in the Seattle area who were pumped about the name Kraken. Regular fans, and those with a platform, YouTubers, sports radio personalities, even the mayor. The response felt about 50/50, albeit polarizing. Those who liked it, loved it. Those who didn’t, hated it. 

Alternatives like “Sockeyes” are polarizing too. Some hate the idea of naming the team after a “wimpy fish” that “gets eaten by orcas.” They know nothing is going to please everyone. 

2 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

Regardless of who leaked it, redoing your identity from square one due to public reaction comes off as very unprofessional and indecisive.

Like I said above? Vegas had a guy in charge who knew what he wanted the team identity to be. We can criticize it for military fetishism, but on a base level? It's a solid direction dictated by the guy in charge. 

Seattle seems to lack that direction. Their ownership group seems more like a collection of guys who, as a whole, don't have as strong a sense of what they want. 

So given that? I can see that they'd see negative reactions to the "Kraken" name and backtrack. 

8 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Like I said above? Vegas had a guy in charge who knew what he wanted the team identity to be. We can criticize it for military fetishism, but on a base level? It's a solid direction dictated by the guy in charge. 

Seattle seems to lack that direction. Their ownership group seems more like a collection of guys who, as a whole, don't have as strong a sense of what they want.

So given that? I can see that they'd see negative reactions to the "Kraken" name and backtrack. 

Honestly, I think it's less a lack of direction and more a different direction from what Foley did; Foley had his identity picked out and was set on making it a reality right from the beginning, while Leiweke and his group seem to be more invested in figuring out what the market thinks is the best identity for the team. That's why they were doing fan polls for stuff like arena food and goal horns and such; they're seeing what the market they're appealing to would want.

Given that, I do think it is plausible they may have initially wanted the name to be "Kraken", but after the name's rather cold reception in the Seattle Times poll and it's generally lukewarm reception online, they decided they had to rethink things and go a different direction; which would obviously slow down the process of revealing the identity since you essentially need to start branding all over again, especially if it's a name you might need some more legal work to procure.

If they really wanted to see what the public wanted, they should just do what the Seattle MLS franchise did and put it out for a vote. At that time fans were given these choices. 

A. Seattle Alliance

B. Seattle FC

C. Seattle Republic

D. Write In (which turned out to be the Sounders)

Either put it to a vote or pick a name and own it. 

Archived