Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

On 4/13/2020 at 3:03 AM, IceCap said:

...the logo's still not done yet, which means that it wouldn't have been too late in the process to change gears back when the leak happened.

I wouldn’t say that’s accurate. You’d need a perfect storm to restart the process that late. The only project I’ve seen done that quick was Winnipeg, and that still took about a month of design despite them having a clear idea of where they wanted to go very early in the process.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

I wouldn’t say that’s accurate. You’d need a perfect storm to restart the process that late. The only project I’ve seen done that quick was Winnipeg, and that still took about a month of design despite them having a clear idea of where they wanted to go very early in the process.

I mean you're just confirming my suspicions that this ownership group doesn't have as clear an idea of what they want (or wanted) as the last two ownership groups in this situation (Winnipeg and Las Vegas) did.

13 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I mean you're just confirming my suspicions that this ownership group doesn't have as clear an idea of what they want (or wanted) as the last two ownership groups in this situation (Winnipeg and Las Vegas) did.

Confirmed suspicions based on what? There’s no evidence the team has ever wavered on whatever name they had originally picked. Who’s to say they’re not just being thorough with the logo and uniform design process? Maybe they’re dealing with trademark issues that take time to settle. And now Covid-19 has thrown everything off. They’ve never set a hard date for a reveal. I don’t anticipate one any time soon but that doesn’t mean they’re experiencing an identity crisis. 

10 minutes ago, king_mahalo said:

Confirmed suspicions based on what?

Winnipeg got their new logo out in a relatively short amount of time. Vegas' logo unveiling took a while, but we knew (generally) what the name would be because the owner had a very specific vision in mind.

I'm also basing it off of the fact that in Winnipeg fans demanded it be Jets. In Vegas the owner knew what he wanted. Seattle's ownership group is more diverse and therefore it's very likely there was a harder time coming to a consensus among all of them. Simple fact that a task becoming harder the more people you add to a team.

There’s no evidence the team has ever wavered on whatever name they had originally picked.

They've either wavered or they've taken a long while to find a name they liked.

Who’s to say they’re not just being thorough with the logo and uniform design process?

Ever heard of the term "over-baked"?

Maybe they’re dealing with trademark issues that take time to settle.

Maybe. And maybe they were swayed by a presentation on the name Kraken or maybe they were dissuaded from Kraken thanks to the Seattle Times poll. Or maybe the multitude of owners couldn't agree on something for months on end.

Anything is possible.

8 hours ago, IceCap said:

Considering we and others have been working on and off with this project for more than a year and a half at this point, I think that’s fair to say, but how you phrased it before when you said you thought they were still actively wavering, not so much. We’ve just been ironing out little wrinkles for several months now.

It’s just the nature of unique projects. In Winnipeg, fans were very clear about what they wanted. In Vegas, the owner and GM were. In Seattle, neither fans nor owners knew what they wanted this to be at first. That’s why whittling down the original list of hundreds of names took so long, but the basic direction has been pretty clear and focused for a long time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Whatever the reason, I don’t think it’s a good sign that they have stalled. They had a solid albeit slow progression with the region (On radio, ads, etc) and now they just quit even trying to engage the public. Bad form and sends up definite warning flags. 

They're probably hard at work solidifying and finalizing the identity. Vegas had everything settled from the get-go, Winnipeg had the obvious conclusion that anybody with half a brain would've seen coming even if management at first wanted something new. Seattle isn't that clear of a picture, as evidenced by the multitude of names they trademarked.

And they've been pretty active on Twitter, so I don't know how, in this day and age, anybody could say that isn't "engaging the public".

47 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There are people involved with the team who were formerly involved with Seattle government and Seattle process. For those of us who are natives to the region, we understand what Seattle dithering is and what it looks like.

The Seattle NHL team has been the epitome of Seattle Process (lack of new information, timelines being extended indefinitely, overall hesitancy to make decisions) and it doesn't bode well for a professional sports franchise.

I'm not 100% convinced they actually play next year.

Unfortunately I totally agree. Having worked with the city on various projects over the years, this does seems like the typical Seattle way. Bad news for the future of the team. 

People seem to forget how much runway they have left here. Vegas released their name & logo less than a year before their first game. Even if Seattle waits until September to start unveiling their brand, they'll still be ahead of the Knights' schedule.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

People seem to forget how much runway they have left here. Vegas released their name & logo less than a year before their first game. Even if Seattle waits until September to start unveiling their brand, they'll still be ahead of the Knights' schedule.

For me the problem is that they said they were going to release it before now and didn't (even before Covid). Without that, I wouldn't have cared. But to say you will do something, and then backtrack, just seems too typically bad Seattle management to me. It's what we've become accustom to in our city. 

3 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Just call them the Seattle Greens

Why call them anything, because we can not agree 100%, maybe we should just pack it in before we start.  

The big thing at this point is they should have a name and colors otherwise it will be underwhelming and lost it the large picture.  Look at the PR is getting on releasing new uniforms and the draft....

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

17 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Just call them the Seattle Greens

I figured as the Evergreens they'd be shortened to "the Greens" anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Mean Greens! Though I expect "the Green" could take its place alongside "the Isle," "the Oil," and, RIP, "the Whale." "The Pines" as tertiary nickname?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived