Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Mean Greens! Though I expect "the Green" could take its place alongside "the Isle," "the Oil," and, RIP, "the Whale." "The Pines" as tertiary nickname?

"My ex-center still misses me. BUT HIS AIM IS GETTING BETTER!"

download.jpg

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/16/2020 at 12:01 AM, M4One said:

Seattle Seattleites of the Pacific Northwest.

The Super Ice Sonics of Seattle.

Seattle Mighty Pigs

Seattle KEM Gougers

I shouldn't like Mighty Pigs. I shouldn't like Mighty Pigs. I shouldn't like Mighty Pigs. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, Survival79 said:

The Seattle Six.

(Tampa Bay Nine was apparently one of the options considered when the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were working on their rebrand. It was owner Stuart Sternberg's personal favorite before they settled on Tampa Bay Rays.)

😲

ax3Q2Fz.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

• 4 weeks later...

Get Kraken! NHL Seattle Again Delays Release of their Team Name

June 18, 2020 - 00:36 AM

Fans of Seattle’s National Hockey League expansion franchise will have to wait a little longer to find out the name of their future team. Previously we had heard the name would be released in the summer of 2019, then it […]

Read More...

I feel like we're going to be very whelmed once it gets released.  Hopefully they knock it out of the park with colors, logos, jersey.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

2 hours ago, throwmesomepics said:

Kraken has grown on me since the rumor first emerged. It’s much better than sockeyes or some of the other names floating around, like emeralds or Sasquatch.

Heavy disagree there. It's probably the worst name on that list. It'd be "Minnesota Wild" on steroids, an ill-fitting and stupid name that would become the subject of ridicule.

I've commented on why I despise the name Kraken before, actually;

It sounds minor-leaguey and not in a good way. That, and there are mariners in Seattle. There are no titanic ship-sinking Scandinavian cephalopods in Seattle. Decently-sized ones, maybe. None big enough to destroy a ship.

The Seattle team's brand should be locally-appropriate first. Hell, compare it to other professional Seattle sports franchises; the Seahawks (named for the osprey, a local bird with ties to water and fish, both of which are important to Seattle), Mariners (a name for sailors; tied to the waters surrounding Seattle), SuperSonics (named for Seattle's prominence in aircraft manufacturing, tied into the city) and Sounders (named for Puget Sound, which is the body of water Seattle rests on)...and then there'd be the Kraken (Scandinavian mythological giant squid found off the coasts of Norway and Greenland; thus has no local ties to Seattle itself).

With the Sockeye(s), you keep every team locally-appropriate; sockeye are traditionally very important to Natives of the Seattle region. And it works well for a professional franchise, despite seeming a little kitschy and kiddy. I mean, we literally have a team named the Penguins; why can't we also have a team named the Sockeyes?

Plus it keeps the trend of Seattle professional teams having an S in their name somewhere. "Seahawks, Sounders, Supersonics, Sockeyes, Mariners, Dragons" works a lot better then "Seahawks, Sounders, Supersonics, Kraken, Mariners, Dragons" because with Sockeyes, every professional team has the same  "-s" sound at the end. It feels more unified that way, like how Pittsburgh's professional teams all use yellow, black and white.

The absolute worst thing any brand can be is dated on arrival. There's names that have become iconic and timeless (Maple Leafs, Flyers, Packers, etc.), there's trendy names that end up sticking and just become the team's thing (Raptors, Ducks); both of those work.

But names that cause people to go "Ugh, seriously, they're using that as the team name?!" the moment they get revealed (or "leaked", in this case) is the opposite of what a new modern franchise should want to elicit with a brand; especially in today's culture, where the Internet can spread the lampooning of a bad branding tenfold. "Kraken" is the epitome of "Ugh, seriously?" names for me. It's not locally-driven at all, it's mainly driven by a dead meme from over a decade ago, it doesn't mesh well against the names of every other team in the league and it screams of the dumb sports trend of revealing something mediocre and slapping a bunch of 🔥 after it.

Stuff like Evergreens or Cougars would be pretty meh, but at least those doesn't embody the sports trend of 🔥spam like "Kraken".

"Kraken VS Red Wings", "Kraken VS Maple Leafs", "Kraken VS Blue Jackets", "Kraken VS Hurricanes", "Kraken VS Sharks"...yeah, not a fan of it at all.

The thing that the Wild and Avalanche have that helps them is that they start soft; "wuh-ild" and "ah-vuh-lanche". It's much easier to say "The Minnesota Wild are in town to face the Toronto Maple Leafs" or "The Colorado Avalanche are hosting the Philadelphia Flyers" because they don't start harshly.

Kraken, however, starts hard, "Krak-en". "Wild VS Hurricanes" or "Avalanche VS Red Wings" doesn't sound like ass because "Wild"/"Avalanche" are both softer names that flow better against other teams, and "Kraken" doesn't. "The Toronto Maple Leafs are hosting the Seattle Kraken" or "The Seattle Kraken are in town to face the New York Rangers" sounds weird, to me.

I mean, the name sounding right out of Roller Hockey International doesn't help, either. 😛

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I doubt it's Kraken, honestly; the emphasis on the issues of trademarking makes me think they're heavily pursuing Sockeyes.

We should keep in mind that Kraken may have its own obstacles to trademarking.  A spiced rum produced in Trinidad and Tobago has been sold under the Kraken name for roughly a decade now, the SeaWorld Orlando park includes a Kraken roller coaster, a small-time wrestling promotion company owns "Kraken Legion" as a federally registered trademark in the United States, and ... of probably the greatest importance to any sports team wanting to have Kraken in its name ... an esports company known as Super League Gaming is trying to gain US federal registrations for the name "Vancouver Krakens" and a logo containing said name.  (However, a check of the database of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office does not show any attempt by Super League Gaming or any other entity to register a "Vancouver Krakens" trademark in Canada.)

I hope this is Seattle reconsidering Kraken as a name. I know they won't do it but I think they should go with either Totems or take the entire branding of the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds. 

So, I live in Lexington, KY.  Many years ago now, we had our own AHL team, the lovely Kentucky Thoroublades.  Thoroublades was kitschy as hell.  Truthfully, it's kind of a stupid name.  It's shocking that poor Zedeno Chara had to wear a crest featuring a horse (the last remaining NHL'er to have come through Lexington on his way to the NHL)...with a horseshoe tattoo on his chest (:groan:)...and a purple mane (that really looked more like a Jagr-style mullet).  But it was a minor league team.  Yeah, it felt like a 90's Brandoise hockey team, but it was AHL.  Seattle Kraken feel the same way.  I feel a logo package, colors and uniform will scream the same thing.  They'll be the Trash Pandas or the Baby Cakes of the NHL.  

I understand where some see Sockeye and think "like...fighting?  really?" and I get it (honestly, didn't even put that together myself, but we can just say I'm a moron).  But I like the idea of sockeye because I love the color possibilities.  That salmony/pinkish/red that they've floated out there would be so refreshing and would visually fit into an NHL going away from the "Black/Navy Blue" late 90's-mid 00's pallet and going back to a more vibrant and colorful league.  It would stand out, it would be frankly, beautiful, on the ice (granted we still have issues of jersey design, logo and wordmark, but in my head, I'm thinking a primarily salmony/red/pinkish uniform with black accents).  I hope we get that color.  

6 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

We should keep in mind that Kraken may have its own obstacles to trademarking.  A spiced rum produced in Trinidad and Tobago has been sold under the Kraken name for roughly a decade now, the SeaWorld Orlando park includes a Kraken roller coaster, a small-time wrestling promotion company owns "Kraken Legion" as a federally registered trademark in the United States, and ... of probably the greatest importance to any sports team wanting to have Kraken in its name ... an esports company known as Super League Gaming is trying to gain US federal registrations for the name "Vancouver Krakens" and a logo containing said name.  (However, a check of the database of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office does not show any attempt by Super League Gaming or any other entity to register a "Vancouver Krakens" trademark in Canada.)

No one is going to confuse an NHL hockey team with rum or a roller coaster, or an eSport

Archived