Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This Seattle expansion seems so forced. I don't like anything about it TBH. Vegas just did it so perfectly. I don't get that vibe from this expansion... Idk it could just be me, but i am a massive NHL fan and this just isn't moving the needle for me.

Seems like some revisionist history here. It felt like a massive segment of hockey fans were rooting for Vegas to fail before they started playing. People saw a Canadian city passed over in favour of another Sun Belt franchise. Even the fans who weren't rooting against them weren't expecting the kind of immediate success they had. 

Seattle does feel different, but just because it seems like a safer bet by the league. 

3 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

Not sure how that would fly, given that Carolina wouldn't be too thrilled with another NHL team wearing a uniform from their past. 

Well then they should have kept their original colors. If you change your colors, you can't then complain when someone else takes your old color scheme.

6 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

This Seattle expansion seems so forced. I don't like anything about it TBH. Vegas just did it so perfectly. I don't get that vibe from this expansion... Idk it could just be me, but i am a massive NHL fan and this just isn't moving the needle for me.

Vegas had a tighter timeline to work with, having only a year to get things done.  They also had an owner who knew exactly what he wanted in the name and team colours.  There's a couple of big names with Seattle ownership which makes it difficult for one of them to get their way over the other, if they had a name in mind.

It will be 2 and a half years (and with how things are right now, it could be longer?) before Seattle hits the ice.  There was no real rush to come up with a name and they certainly have taken their time.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had decided on one, but then had to circle back. There's been a couple of false starts, where there was speculation that the team would announce the name, though the team never officially said anything, that got people's hopes up.  When nothing happened, it's made the whole process drag on.  The pandemic doesn't help, either.

Late write in vote for the name Planeteers to go along with the new arena name.  

I don't see why they need to rush. People seem to think they are entitled to getting a team name after a certain amount of time or something. It is what it is, Seattle aren't going to be playing for a while yet. Be patient, jeez. It's an interesting time, just sit back and enjoy the speculation.

Seattle Grundge

Seattle Sleepless 

Seattle Rainmen 

Seattle Pearlmen

Seattle Greenmen

Seattle Breakers

Seattle Notebooks

Seattle Salarymen

Seattle HC

Seattle Hockeye

Seattle Showers

Seattle Hysterics

Seattle Spirit

Seattle Bloom

15 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Well then they should have kept their original colors. If you change your colors, you can't then complain when someone else takes your old color scheme.

I was talking the uniform as a whole. If they want the color scheme, I don't think that Carolina would have a real reason to stop them. 

"Climate Pledge Arena" sounds dumb. Do all you want to make it good for the environment and "the greenest ice in the NHL" and all that, but just call it Amazon Arena.

7 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

"Climate Pledge Arena" sounds dumb. Do all you want to make it good for the environment and "the greenest ice in the NHL" and all that, but just call it Amazon Arena.

Agreed. "Climate Pledge" is Branded Content for Amazon's climate work. All of the zero-waste features they're incorporating into the arena are really cool and exciting and should set the standard of expectations for arenas to come. But I can't think anyone will hear "Climate Pledge Arena" and think about zero waste or whatever; it more immediately sounds like a more aromatic wood cleaner, given our general expectations for arena and stadium branding.

21 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Might this center ice graphic be a clue to the team colors?

With information so scarce it's hard not to read into every little thing.

If this is the color scheme I gotta say I'm pretty excited. Dark green, neon green, and teal/silver is a great color scheme that is very unique and beautifully fits Seattle. 

At the risk of assuming too much, I definitely get more of an Emeralds or Evergreens vibe from the colors than Sockeyes, Thunderbirds, or Kraken. Given the newly announced arena name... I could see Evergreens being especially on-brand.

4 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Given the newly announced arena name... I could see Evergreens being especially on-brand.

we're peakin' at just the right time

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I don't think it'd play well here in Seattle to put Amazon's name on the arena.

Upon seeing an initial headline saying that Amazon had bought the naming rights, my knee jerk reaction was basically, "Ughh, eff Bezos and eff Amazon." Upon seeing that it will be called Climate Pledge Arena, my main reaction is, "Okay, at least it's not Amazon Arena."

I appreciate a mildly subversive use of naming rights. I don't even think they're a good investment: everyone resents them, and if you don't get in on the ground floor of it, no one observes the new name anyway, or they just call it "the arena." The Amazon brand does not need increased awareness. Neither does AT&T, but having the Cowboys play in "Anderson Cooper 360 Stadium" would surely cause more problems than it would solve.

Semi-related: I'm surprised more telecasts don't cite advertiser conflicts as a reason not to use venues' corporate names. Down in the AHL, the Chicago Wolves still refer to the BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford as "the MetroCentre" because they're sponsored by a bank that is not BMO Harris. (I myself also still call it the MetroCentre, but I am not sponsored by a bank.) There must be language in the contracts to account for this in the bigs, because otherwise I'm sure this would happen a lot. 

Evergreens might be a good name to go alongside two shades of green and black... AND it fits the whole Climate Pledge theme of the arena.

Also there better be a big :censored:ing tree as the logo.

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

Also there better be a big :censored:ing tree as the logo.

Treedle!

spMrmkZ.jpg

I am all for environmental protection, but I am not sure if Amazon is someone I can trust in helping the environment. Also, I almost thought the naming rights went to the wood cleaner.

29 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I am all for environmental protection, but I am not sure if Amazon is someone I can trust in helping the environment. Also, I almost thought the naming rights went to the wood cleaner.

Yeah... Amazon's core business is based on selling stuff, and the vast majority of that stuff is made using materials that are harvested or extracted in such a way that they inevitably produce waste and pollution. The stuff is then shipped from factories to warehouses (producing more pollution) before being packaged in other stuff and sent to the consumer (generating more waste and pollution along the way). Finally it gets to the consumer who eventually ends up throwing away (or recycling) some portion of the stuff. 

Obviously not all of the waste and pollution has a direct impact on climate change... but it's certainly not helping. 

I hope they don't do a neon green thing, personally. Nothing about neon feels very classic. Just comes across as tacky and the opposite of timeless. I could be proven wrong though.

8 hours ago, Thaumatrope said:

Yeah... Amazon's core business is based on selling stuff

Amazon's core business is IT contracting with the federal government, the retail is there to keep your eye off the ball