Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

34 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Amazon's core business is IT contracting with the federal government, the retail is there to keep your eye off the ball

Yeah...I knew someone was going to bring up AWS. We could get into a semantic argument about whether a company's "core" business is what generates the most revenue (which is AWS, hands down), or what makes up the largest portion of their payroll (ie what they have the most people doing).

However...even if we're talking about AWS, the point still stands. Massive server farms require equally massive amounts of power, and while Amazon is working hard to get their AWS facilities working on renewable power (50% in 2018), that other 50% is still significant. What's more, power consumption is only part of their total impact. There's still the servers themselves and all the other stuff that has to be manufactured and transported to AWS facilities.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Seattle had a MLU ultimate frisbee team, called the Rainmakers, - always thought that was a interesting and fitting team name, nevertheless...

Rob Thomas wonders what it’s like to be the rainmaker....

Climate Pledge Arena is the most Seattle name ever because it’s endearing but still covers up the cancer that is crony capitalism in America. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 6/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Skycast said:

While not as evocative as Kraken, Seattle Sockeyes certainly rolls off the tongue wonderfully.

Sure, for those that have the misconception the every North American sports team is ans alliteration...

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

On 6/26/2020 at 6:40 PM, the admiral said:

I appreciate a mildly subversive use of naming rights. I don't even think they're a good investment: everyone resents them, and if you don't get in on the ground floor of it, no one observes the new name anyway, or they just call it "the arena." The Amazon brand does not need increased awareness. Neither does AT&T, but having the Cowboys play in "Anderson Cooper 360 Stadium" would surely cause more problems than it would solve.

Pretty much. I still call Scotia Bank Arena "the Air Canada Centre," and the Rogers Centre will always be "the SkyDome" to me.

Meanwhile in Tampa, everyone calls the Bucs' stadium Raymond James or "RayJay" because Raymond James got in on the ground floor. They could sell the naming rights to someone else tomorrow and I get the sense people here would still call it "RayJay."

1 hour ago, Ti-Nick said:

Chris from Icethetics wrote an article about the Sabres colors, and he mentioned that "a trusted source revealed to [him] that one of Seattle's base colors will be a very dark navy blue — the darkest they could go without it looking black."

What do you make of that?

https://www.icethetics.com/news/buffalo-sabres-show-signs-of-returning-to-royal-blue

So, maybe something like this?  

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ti-Nick said:

Chris from Icethetics wrote an article about the Sabres colors, and he mentioned that "a trusted source revealed to [him] that one of Seattle's base colors will be a very dark navy blue — the darkest they could go without it looking black."

https://www.icethetics.com/news/buffalo-sabres-show-signs-of-returning-to-royal-blue

Saw that too. He slyly slide that in there. Wondering what the whole package will be. 

2 hours ago, Ti-Nick said:

Ugh, I hope this is wrong. I hate the super dark blue/black that a lot of MLB teams use on their hats (Mariners included!)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

4 hours ago, Ti-Nick said:

Pairing it with a bright (but not too bright) green could work nicely

YVRMUBj.png

I guess a weird thing for me would be that I associate a blue and green look with Vancouver, who'd presumably be a top rival. Maybe the shades will be sufficiently distinct? Or maybe Vancouver will change colors again and it'll be moot.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

45 minutes ago, Digby said:

I guess a weird thing for me would be that I associate a blue and green look with Vancouver, who'd presumably be a top rival. Maybe the shades will be sufficiently distinct? Or maybe Vancouver will change colors again and it'll be moot.

I think if you go with a super dark navy and a neon-ish green -- more in line with the Seahawks -- it could be seen as distinct from the Canucks. 

20 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

Sure, for those that have the misconception the every North American sports team is ans alliteration...

I never said that dude. I mean seriously, what need was there for a reply like this? For Pete's sake this is a sports logo forum and you have the desire to be a bit contentious with a comment like this? Seriously, be a part of the solution, not more of the problem.

15 hours ago, IceCap said:

Meanwhile in Tampa, everyone calls the Bucs' stadium Raymond James or "RayJay" because Raymond James got in on the ground floor. They could sell the naming rights to someone else tomorrow and I get the sense people here would still call it "RayJay."

Still simply called Mile High by most people I know here in Colorado as well...heck, I couldn't even tell you what the proper name/current sponsor name currently is.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

My money would be on navy being the primary colour with the salmon & seafoam they've been using on their website/social media as the secondary/tertiary colours.

Navy isn't the most original, but next season there'll only be 2 teams using it on their home jerseys. The Canucks only use navy in their logo, and I can't see there being much demand to bring back the West Coast Express look as a throwback, so I'm sure there won't be any confusion between the two teams.

Forest green instead of navy should be used as the primary. Would look great with salmon red and seafoam. There's more than enough teams that can use navy either as a primary or as a 3rd.

In that case, let the Canucks wear green, as a 3rd at least.

Archived