Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mingjai said:

Now I’m curious—how many NHL teams have “hockey club” in their official name? I know the Wild do.

The Montreal Canadiens' official name is "le Club de hockey Canadien."

SOCKEYES is the best-sounding name IMO, but it has its warts;

- as a hockey fan, I find the subtle reference to fighting a little insulting

- it's the anglified slang for the indigenous word for red-fish. Will everyone be OK with that?

- outside of the Seattle market, it will stir about as much interest in the team as my old socks

- it's a fish

I agree with chcarlson23. All of the names haven't been great.

7 hours ago, ghost316 said:

SOCKEYES is the best-sounding name IMO, but it has its warts;

- it's the anglified slang for the indigenous word for red-fish. Will everyone be OK with that?

- outside of the Seattle market, it will stir about as much interest in the team as my old socks

- it's a fish

I agree with chcarlson23. All of the names haven't been great.

- Really?

- It's a bit of a reach to say that makes it offensive in anyway. I think it'll be fine.

- Who cares what people outside the area think? The target demographic is the people of Seattle and its surrounding area. If Seattleites like it; I think that's more than enough of a reason to use it.

- Yes, and we also have Ducks and Penguins. It doesn't have to be an intimidating beast.

17 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

- Really?

- It's a bit of a reach to say that makes it offensive in anyway. I think it'll be fine.

- Who cares what people outside the area think? The target demographic is the people of Seattle and its surrounding area. If Seattleites like it; I think that's more than enough of a reason to use it.

- Yes, and we also have Ducks and Penguins. It doesn't have to be an intimidating beast.

- Really.

I get the fighting aspect of hockey. (I've been involved in many a punch-up myself). I actually prefer a game where there's a bit of retribution for being a dick.

I'd love to see a rat like Marchand get his chiclets scattered. Yet, at the same time I don't like the "Sock-em-in-the-eye" aspect of the name. Weird, huh?

- Doesn't matter what you or I think. If there's any chance at all for people to be culturally offended, I say just don't go there. 

- You're right: IF Sockeyes was the overwhelming favourite- but is it? I could be wrong, but it seems that the Seattle market is pretty divided on a preferred name.

IF all names were fairly equal in popularity within the Seattle market, then I would definitely consider the popularity in all other markets.

- I agree with you. In fact, my favourite name may be the least intimidating of the bunch. Evergreens.

I was commenting on the brand development aspect. OK. Sockeyes. Then what? How do you market a fish?

I guess I just see more potential marketing angles with the other names.🙂

1 hour ago, ghost316 said:

- Really.

I get the fighting aspect of hockey. (I've been involved in many a punch-up myself). I actually prefer a game where there's a bit of retribution for being a dick.

I'd love to see a rat like Marchand get his chiclets scattered. Yet, at the same time I don't like the "Sock-em-in-the-eye" aspect of the name. Weird, huh?

- Doesn't matter what you or I think. If there's any chance at all for people to be culturally offended, I say just don't go there. 

- You're right: IF Sockeyes was the overwhelming favourite- but is it? I could be wrong, but it seems that the Seattle market is pretty divided on a preferred name.

IF all names were fairly equal in popularity within the Seattle market, then I would definitely consider the popularity in all other markets.

- I agree with you. In fact, my favourite name may be the least intimidating of the bunch. Evergreens.

I was commenting on the brand development aspect. OK. Sockeyes. Then what? How do you market a fish?

I guess I just see more potential marketing angles with the other names.🙂

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the name Sockeyes because of the reference to fighting. Sockeye salmon are a huge part of the local history, economy and identity. That’s why it’s a popular name, much more so locally. It also alliterative and sounds professional. I can’t imagine anyone seriously being offended by Sockeyes. 

I think the reference to fighting in hockey mostly comes from those who don’t know what a Sockeye salmon is. We know it’s there, but it’s not the primary meaning, and the team likely wouldn’t acknowledge it. 

Sockeye salmon fight the current and swim upstream to lay their eggs. They get bruised and beaten up and yet they persist. If you need some kind of story, that’s how you market it. 

15 hours ago, ghost316 said:

It's not even something that would be emphasized in the marketing besides like maybe some puns. If that's enough to turn you off, I'd dread to think what you'd be like back in the 2000's when fighting was way more prevalent then it is now.

I don't see people throwing a fit over the Seahawks or Coyotes (and to a lesser extent, the Canucks) using Native art as a logo. As long as they avoid depicting an actual Native person and don't use a tribe name as their brand, I think it'll be fine.

And? Who the hell cares about what Joe from New York thinks about the name, that's not the market they're appealing to. As long as it's received well in Seattle, then it's a brand that works. Do the Ducks stir much interest outside of the Orange County market? 

- it's a fish

A penguin is a fat flightless bird. A leaf is an inanimate plant that exists to be eaten. A duck is a generally-harmless bird that is often eaten. Cardinals and orioles are small, harmless birds. Red socks and white sox are literally clothing. A cub is a baby bear. A packer is a dude who puts stuff away. A steeler is a dude who works at a steel mill. Blues is a music genre. A coyote is a smaller, less cool wolf. A senator is a dude in a suit.

Lots of names can be derided for that kind of reason.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

And? Who the hell cares about what Joe from New York thinks about the name, that's not the market they're appealing to. As long as it's received well in Seattle, then it's a brand that works. Do the Ducks stir much interest outside of the Orange County market? 

All of the other owners and anyone that's concerned with revenue cares what Joe from New York thinks about the name since they need more people than just the locals to buy merch.  Granted, hockey by nature is more of a regional game unlike the other sports, but thinking exclusively about your home market is more like how minor league teams operate.  Not saying it's a bad name or anything, just that their market isn't 100% just the Seattle area fans.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

All of the other owners and anyone that's concerned with revenue cares what Joe from New York thinks about the name since they need more people than just the locals to buy merch.  Granted, hockey by nature is more of a regional game unlike the other sports, but thinking exclusively about your home market is more like how minor league teams operate.  Not saying it's a bad name or anything, just that their market isn't 100% just the Seattle area fans.

I can't imagine Seattle's team would have a ton of reach beyond the northwest of the country anyways; Seattle isn't really a New York, Los Angeles or Boston-type city where the fandom is national in scale, so naming your team to try and make it appealing to people in markets that have very little impact on the place your team is actually located seems kind of dumb, especially in a regional sport like hockey where you know the brand won't be as ubiquitous as a team like the Red Wings or Leafs.

That sort of appeal comes with time and success, not because you named your team a certain thing. You could name them the Seattle Rubber Puckies and they'd still be a big deal if they came out of the gate a dynasty.

16 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

A packer is a dude who puts stuff away.

Nope.

He kills, cuts up and sells animals for food. He's a meat packer, not a concierge or the owner of the local You Sell We Ship shop.

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 5:43 AM, Ridleylash said:

I can't imagine Seattle's team would have a ton of reach beyond the northwest of the country anyways; Seattle isn't really a New York, Los Angeles or Boston-type city where the fandom is national in scale,

Yea but the Seahawks' reach is pretty big.  And if the name and branding is good, fans will jump on because they're the new kid on the block.  I know I will.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

The heavy fishing theme makes me think it'll be "Sockeyes" that's the final name. Nothing about this makes me think "Kraken"; it's too bright, too colorful and the fact it's a goal light being hauled up in a fishing net by a fishing vessel...that can't be coincidental.

10 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The heavy fishing theme makes me think it'll be "Sockeyes" that's the final name. Nothing about this makes me think "Kraken"; it's too bright, too colorful and the fact it's a goal light being hauled up in a fishing net by a fishing vessel...that can't be coincidental.

The fact it uses a net and a fishing boat can mean either Kraken or Sockeye. It is Kraken look at the image on the shirt of the young man.  + I am curious about the suspenders I see the letters “en” cannot make out the rest.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

4 minutes ago, Commish2 said:

The fact it uses a net and a fishing boat can mean either Kraken or Sockeye. It is Kraken look at the image on the shirt of the young man.  + I am curious about the suspenders I see the letters “en” cannot make out the rest.

The suspenders are part of the fishing gear the crew is wearing, it’s from a company called Grundéns. Regarding the team name, I hope it’s Sockeyes over Kraken. The kerfuffles on the board here really soured my interest in the Kraken monicker.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Archived