Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

If it's Kraken, I'ma buy a jersey.

Either way, I already like this team more than Vegas. They're gonna have to do a lot for me to not like them.

ScubaSteve posted this earlier, but I think this pretty much kills Kraken as an option. Why would the team name not be under an NDA for everyone in the league? A team casually posting something like this on social media ahead of the reveal would be the kind of insane leak I don't see happening. And since the Tweet's still up despite being made nearly an hour ago, there doesn't seem to be any kind of pressing order to delete it.

44 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

*insert RELEASE THE KRAKEN joke*

Argh, release my lunch 

Really hoping it's Sockeyes.

Just wondering, could the net and boat be hinting at the potential colour scheme? It matches what the team's website has had for a while now.

I had a sinking feeling they were going to show a giant squid when she said “what is that?”

Anything but Kraken. 

28 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I hope its kraken so the Maple Leafs no longer have the worst name in hockey

Fixed.

30 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I hope its kraken so the Wild no longer have the worst name in hockey

Having one of the best logos in sports makes up for a subpar name in my opinion.

They did a poll a while back about in-stadium goal sounds, with ferry horn being the favorite. It looks like they're listening!

Also, I've got it on good authority that the Seattle Aquarium has been prepped for ample co-branding opportunities.

The logo and aesthetic are much more important to me than the name. There's plenty of sports names that would be bad in a vacuum, but the execution makes them work just fine.
That said, I really doubt they're going with Kraken. Let's not forget the initial backlash months ago when they were rumored to be going with that name. It may even be one of the factors for the long delay in announcing the name

1 hour ago, Commish2 said:

It is Kraken look at the image on the shirt of the young man.  + I am curious about the suspenders I see the letters “en” cannot make out the rest.

The image on the young man's t-shirt is the logo for Maui Built, a Hawaiian lifestyle brand. The suspenders are a product manufactured and sold by Grundéns, a Swedish fishing equipment company with a  US division headquartered in Poulsbo, Washington.  

So don't you fish for sockeye in streams/rivers, not out in the open water? Open water being where large cephalapods live?

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So don't you fish for sockeye in streams/rivers, not out in the open water? Open water being where large cephalapods live?

They live in open ocean when they’re not running upriver to spawn.

The colors of the fishing nets (which I’m sure are standard net colors) sure seem to lean into a seafoam/salmon color scheme. I dunno. Just happened to catch my eye. 
Tomorrow we either be happy or disappointed!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

If it's Kraken I will never feel more defeated by life. 

Yeah...not that I really need any more proof, but Seattle going with Kraken would all but confirm that we are living in the darkest timeline.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

If it’s Kraken, I’m waiting for the borders to open again and I’m engaging Sparky in an ECW hardcore-style match. Mike, you willing to be the Mustafa to my New Jack?

spacer.png

Let's roll. 

SEATTLE KRAKENS LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 🤘🤘🤘

ori_3652662_cvf65of4cdh9sh3fnjjtfj017msi

59 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So don't you fish for sockeye in streams/rivers, not out in the open water?

Sockeye are anadromous, which is to say that they live a large portion of their life in open ocean water and return to fresh water rivers in order to spawn. While fishing for sockeye is most often thought of as a freshwater pursuit, there are fishermen who engage in saltwater sockeye fishing. 

"Kraken" was trending on Twitter and it was just a ton of people saying things like this and I'm thinking they'll be disappointed tomorrow:

It depresses me knowing how many people think Kraken is a good name. Even with Sockeyes (which is the perfect name) they still have Evergreens, Cascades, Emeralds, Thunderbirds, and plenty more better options.

1 minute ago, QCS said:

It depresses me knowing how many people think Kraken is a good name. Even with Sockeyes (which is the perfect name) they still have Evergreens, Cascades, Emeralds, Thunderbirds, and plenty more better options.

But the ancient fossilized memes! And the "badass" potential! 😛

30 minutes ago, Cujo said:

SEATTLE KRAKENS LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 🤘🤘🤘

ori_3652662_cvf65of4cdh9sh3fnjjtfj017msi

What early 2000s dumpster did you fish that out of?