Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

What early 2000s dumpster did you fish that out of?

 

You mean this isn't an official leak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I REALLY hope it’s not Kraken, but the NHL is The Gong Show on skates, so it’s going to be Kraken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FiddySicks said:

I REALLY hope it’s not Kraken, but the NHL is The Gong Show on skates, so it’s going to be Kraken. 

 

Also: Seattle Kraken 2021 Western Conference Champions because "parity"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, QCS said:

"Kraken" was trending on Twitter and it was just a ton of people saying things like this and I'm thinking they'll be disappointed tomorrow:

 

 

It depresses me knowing how many people think Kraken is a good name. Even with Sockeyes (which is the perfect name) they still have Evergreens, Cascades, Emeralds, Thunderbirds, and plenty more better options.

This does not surprise me any longer.  A quick, personal anedote, but I help run an adult baseball league in my city.  We're a small, 4-5 team league, but I run and play one of the teams.  We're the Bombers, now, I won't lie, the name wasn't mine originally (I inherited the position as manager of this group), but it's transformed from "Bronx Bombers" baseball ripoff, to WW2 era Air-Force "Bombers".  We're a solid scarlet-navy-white set, with a script based on the old Memphis Belle (B-17 who completed enough missions to retire).  Clean uniforms (scarlet with a white w/ navy outline Bombers across the chest), clean hat (Navy, scarlet B, scarlet bill, scarlet squatchee).  Another team in our league...did not go so traditional.  They went with vests, that were supposed to be blue, lime green and black, but they came out...purple.  There was a sublimated chain link fence on them.  They were...garish and looked...well...like the Colorado Rockies' had a corporate softball team.  Those uniforms lasted one season.  Mine?  Three years later...no complaints.  Still proud of what I have (I'd have done more, but, we're poor adults, I don't want guys paying $100 a pop).

 

People think Kraken sound cool now because they want the novelty of saying "Release the Kraken!" once or twice or whatever, but they have no long term idea of how stupid they're going to look.  People will quickly wain of the "Release the Kraken!" thing and then we'll be left with some team, with a name that doesn't really belong in the PNW, and probably, garish uniforms that won't ever be fixed (can you imagine a "traditional" clean uniform on a team called the Kraken?) due to the name.  

 

They'll be my adult league baseball team on a national stage.  A team who's gimmick runs dry fast.  And will quickly need a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's too bad the boat's sailed on Seattle Metropolitans already, i would've definitely went the historic route.

 

But alas, Sockeyes is a pretty great name and would slot in nicely into the NHL's list of identities. Kraken is more than a little bit too gimmicky, and doesn't really roll off the tongue when paired with Seattle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 1908_Cubs said:

This does not surprise me any longer.  A quick, personal anedote, but I help run an adult baseball league in my city.  We're a small, 4-5 team league, but I run and play one of the teams.  We're the Bombers, now, I won't lie, the name wasn't mine originally (I inherited the position as manager of this group), but it's transformed from "Bronx Bombers" baseball ripoff, to WW2 era Air-Force "Bombers".  We're a solid scarlet-navy-white set, with a script based on the old Memphis Belle (B-17 who completed enough missions to retire).  Clean uniforms (scarlet with a white w/ navy outline Bombers across the chest), clean hat (Navy, scarlet B, scarlet bill, scarlet squatchee).  Another team in our league...did not go so traditional.  They went with vests, that were supposed to be blue, lime green and black, but they came out...purple.  There was a sublimated chain link fence on them.  They were...garish and looked...well...like the Colorado Rockies' had a corporate softball team.  Those uniforms lasted one season.  Mine?  Three years later...no complaints.  Still proud of what I have (I'd have done more, but, we're poor adults, I don't want guys paying $100 a pop).

 

People think Kraken sound cool now because they want the novelty of saying "Release the Kraken!" once or twice or whatever, but they have no long term idea of how stupid they're going to look.  People will quickly wain of the "Release the Kraken!" thing and then we'll be left with some team, with a name that doesn't really belong in the PNW, and probably, garish uniforms that won't ever be fixed (can you imagine a "traditional" clean uniform on a team called the Kraken?) due to the name.  

 

They'll be my adult league baseball team on a national stage.  A team who's gimmick runs dry fast.  And will quickly need a change.

This is a perfect example of why chasing trends and gimmicks is stupid and can't last. We'll see it with the Rams' jerseys (and probably the Falcons, the gradient jersey at least) and if Seattle is named "Kraken" people will grow tired of it before it becomes a punching bag like "Wild" is for Minnesota. While some decry traditional as "boring" I'd rather have blander jerseys that look good instead of gimmicky ones that will look bad and out of style in 3 years. 

 

Also, if I may, what was the nickname of the team that went the garish route? I have to know what name inspired a blue, lime green, and black color scheme with sublimated chain link fencing. That's impressively stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FlyEaglesFly76 said:

it's too bad the boat's sailed on Seattle Metropolitans already, i would've definitely went the historic route.

 

But alas, Sockeyes is a pretty great name and would slot in nicely into the NHL's list of identities. Kraken is more than a little bit too gimmicky, and doesn't really roll off the tongue when paired with Seattle

I think what I love most about the Sockeyes name is the colorset - as I think it's the name most likely to turn up with the Salmon/Seafoam set.  That's a damn unique set of colors across American sports, and for what I know about world sports, as well.  It's just not a color combo you see, and yet, they work beautifully for a nautical, PNW team.  I'm excited for what could be a beautiful uniform set that makes those pop.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kraken is gimmicky as hell but I'll be into it if that's what it is.

 

I think now is probably the best time for NHL Seattle to launch. Nothing else is going on, the Sounders are in Florida, and the XFL Dragons came and went.

 

Tomorrow's going to be fun no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I hope its kraken so the Wild no longer have the worst name in hockey

 

Great logic lol

 

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

I know that, but nothing about the image explicitly suggests "Kraken", just that it's a water-based name (which was kinda the obvious direction anyways). And the entire theme of the video is about some fishers on a fishing boat pulling a goal light out of a trawling net that's probably meant to catch fish. The obvious connection those dots would make...is that the team is probably named for a fish.

 

Nothing in the video even vaguely suggests a cephalopodan team identity beyond "on the water", but a lot suggests a piscine one.

 

Kraken is a mysterious mythical creature which has obvious connections with fisherman, I don't see how this video rules out the possibility of that. If anything I feel like the sockeye connection would be too on the nose. I'm half expecting a bit of a twist ending and the Kraken emerges. Hope not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, QCS said:

This is a perfect example of why chasing trends and gimmicks is stupid and can't last. We'll see it with the Rams' jerseys (and probably the Falcons, the gradient jersey at least) and if Seattle is named "Kraken" people will grow tired of it before it becomes a punching bag like "Wild" is for Minnesota. While some decry traditional as "boring" I'd rather have blander jerseys that look good instead of gimmicky ones that will look bad and out of style in 3 years. 

 

Also, if I may, what was the nickname of the team that went the garish route? I have to know what name inspired a blue, lime green, and black color scheme with sublimated chain link fencing. That's impressively stupid.

The Renegades.  I mean, if you're going to go electric blue (I should have added that descriptor.  It was electric, Carolina Panther blue), lime, and black...at least a team like the Renegades fits the bill.  Because, damn, that was a renegade color scheme (apologies if there's another asthetic nerd in my baseball league.  That said, I'm going to say I'm fairly safe on this front).  They also did "Nickname" on the back instead of surname.  So...we had some pretty...well...truly embarassing nicknames on those garish things, too.  It was basically if Players Weekend in the MLB did meth.  In the 90's.  And had a friend who could sublimate uniforms.  I have a feeling the original hope of those uniforms were not nearly the end result, and the dude who designed them is a good dude (and I'm sure he took plenty of :censored: for the end result of those things) so there were good intentions...but it was definitely hype/trend chasing, and a poor uniform company took that and created a garish mess.  I'm sure the next time they get uniforms, a more traditional take will be in store.  

 

I do think trend chasing has led a lot of teams down some dark, and dim paths.  I think there's a fine line between "modernizing" and "unique" and "chasing a trend".  Very few times I've seen a trend-chased uniform stand out.  There's always a unique spin on something that lasts, and looks good, but I think that's an element of good design, and less "capturing the moment".  When you capture the moment, chances are, by the time you've created it, and brought it to market...the moment passed.

 

Just saw that on Shark Tank.  Two women pitched a "Slime Bar" where kids could go to their saloon and create all sorts of slime.  As I watched it, I cringed.  I teach middle school.  Those poor ladies.  Kids are done with slime.  Moment's gone, pack it up.  You're sinking money and there's no saving it. That's how I feel when teams try to chase a moment.  You poor lads.  That's not cool any more.  Let it go.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It better NOT be Kraken. This is the big league NHL we're talking about here, not some roller hockey league. Totems, Emeralds and Evergreens are my #1 choices but Sockeyes has a nice sound to it. Hockey Heaven forbid, if it's Kraken, I will lose ALL interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

It better NOT be Kraken. This is the big league NHL we're talking about here, not some roller hockey league. Totems, Emeralds and Evergreens are my #1 choices but Sockeyes has a nice sound to it. Hockey Heaven forbid, if it's Kraken, I will lose ALL interest.

 

 

Your big league NHL has already given the green light to sillyass nicknames like the Wild, Golden Knights, Mighty Ducks and Thrashers. What makes Kraken any worse than those?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thrashers wasn't a mid-grade CCSLC concept that relied on stock photos of women with big boobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cujo said:

 

Your big league NHL has already given the green light to sillyass nicknames like the Wild, Golden Knights, Mighty Ducks and Thrashers. What makes Kraken any worse than those?

 

Nothing. But just because they're out there doesn't mean we need more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bayne said:

Nothing. But just because they're out there doesn't mean we need more.

 

And if you're a Vancouver fan, don't you want your new rival to have a trashy identity (like the Kraken!) which you can relentlessly mock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

And if you're a Vancouver fan, don't you want your new rival to have a trashy identity (like the Kraken!) which you can relentlessly mock?

Fans mock any identity of a rival sports team relentlessly, though. It's not dependent on the base brand being absolute garbage to pull off.

 

Remember, half of Canada calls Toronto the "Toronto Make-Me-Laffs". Pretty much everybody calls the Seahawks the ":censored: Pigeons". "Coilers", "Sharts", "Jerts", etc, etc. You can mock a fanbase without needing a :censored:ty name to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cujo said:

 

And if you're a Vancouver fan, don't you want your new rival to have a trashy identity (like the Kraken!) which you can relentlessly mock?

 

Yeah because I'm 12 years old and the most important thing to me is being able to make fun of a rivals' team name lol.

 

Bigger picture. I want the league to be taken seriously. Gimmicky names like this don't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Fans mock any identity of a rival sports team relentlessly, though. It's not dependent on the base brand being absolute garbage to pull off.

 

Remember, half of Canada calls Toronto the "Toronto Make-Me-Laffs".

 

Like someone was saying earlier, the WILD!!!! is a 24/7/365 punching bag due to their brutal identity alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Bigger picture. I want the league to be taken seriously.

 

Ya. Too late.

 

r524644_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.