Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Like someone was saying earlier, the WILD!!!! is a 24/7/365 punching bag due to their brutal identity alone.

Saved imesurably by a fantastic, timeless logo. If they're called Kraken and have a brilliant logo, it may not be the end of the world. But I'd rather they get it right on both counts, not just 1/2 or worse yet, 0/2.

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Ya. Too late.

r524644_1296x729_16-9.jpg

I know. Don't get me started.

1. Metros

2. Thunderbirds

3. Totems

4. Sockeyes

5. Emeralds

5,839,306. Kraken

8 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Fans mock any identity of a rival sports team relentlessly, though. It's not dependent on the base brand being absolute garbage to pull off.

Remember, half of Canada calls Toronto the "Toronto Make-Me-Laffs". Pretty much everybody calls the Seahawks the ":censored: Pigeons". "Coilers", "Sharts", "Jerts", etc, etc. You can mock a fanbase without needing a :censored:ty name to do it.

And that's obvious.

3 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Ya. Too late.

r524644_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Oh no, how dare a team in a non-traditional market itself as....gasp...a fun experience?! Blasphemy, I tell you! A true northern good market would never conduct such a affront to our timeless sport!

Just ignore all the silly stuff that happens during intermissions. Oh, and the fan chants. And the goal celebrations, those can get real silly at times; remember when people in Winnipeg had coronaries over Teemu Selanne's glove-shooting celebration?

Just now, nash61 said:

3. Totems

5,839,306. Kraken

Totems has gotta be 5,839,306 times worse than Krakens

41 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

85c2c204-c0db-4b6d-80bc-8042624826ab_scr

Step aside, San Diego Chicken!

A-1865151-1337354544-4911.png.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh no, how dare a team in a non-traditional market itself as....gasp...a fun experience?! Blasphemy, I tell you! A true northern good market would never conduct such a affront to our timeless sport!

Just because it's embarrassing doesn't make it wrong

Just now, Cujo said:

Totems has gotta be 5,839,306 times worse than Krakens

KrakenS, yes. KrakeN, no.

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Just because it's embarrassing af doesn't make it wrong

But to the fans, it's not embarrassing at all. It seems pointless to gatekeep the sport over something as ridiculous as celebration, of all things. People wonder why hockey has such a hard time sticking in southern markets...and then they whine if a team doesn't just do the bog-standard stick salute and nothing else.

We can have different teams doing different things to make them appeal to their markets, not everything needs to be the same. Let the Carolinas or Nashvilles have their goofy celebrations and chants if that's what makes the locals want to come and see them because it's fun.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

Just ignore all the silly stuff that happens during intermissions. Oh, and the fan chants. And the goal celebrations.

Sorry but it's all apart of it. You can't separate it. There's a way to have fun that doesn't turn the game into a bit of a mockery. They're making themselves look stupid and trying to entertain a fanbase who need more than just the game of hockey to keep them engaged. It's a cringefest.

Just ignore all the silly stuff that happens during intermissions. Oh, and the fan chants. And the goal celebrations, those can get real silly at times; remember when people in Winnipeg had coronaries over Teemu Selanne's glove-shooting celebration?

Bold AND italics AND underlines! It's the trifecta!

But to the fans, it's not embarrassing at all. It seems pointless to gatekeep the sport over something as ridiculous as celebration.

Rolling out a basketball goal and slam dunking in front of 1,000 hockey fans after a shootout win isn't embarrassing....

46 minutes ago, 1908_Cubs said:

The Renegades.  I mean, if you're going to go electric blue (I should have added that descriptor.  It was electric, Carolina Panther blue), lime, and black...at least a team like the Renegades fits the bill.  Because, damn, that was a renegade color scheme (apologies if there's another asthetic nerd in my baseball league.  That said, I'm going to say I'm fairly safe on this front).  They also did "Nickname" on the back instead of surname.  So...we had some pretty...well...truly embarassing nicknames on those garish things, too.  It was basically if Players Weekend in the MLB did meth.  In the 90's.  And had a friend who could sublimate uniforms.  I have a feeling the original hope of those uniforms were not nearly the end result, and the dude who designed them is a good dude (and I'm sure he took plenty of :censored: for the end result of those things) so there were good intentions...but it was definitely hype/trend chasing, and a poor uniform company took that and created a garish mess.  I'm sure the next time they get uniforms, a more traditional take will be in store.  

I do think trend chasing has led a lot of teams down some dark, and dim paths.  I think there's a fine line between "modernizing" and "unique" and "chasing a trend".  Very few times I've seen a trend-chased uniform stand out.  There's always a unique spin on something that lasts, and looks good, but I think that's an element of good design, and less "capturing the moment".  When you capture the moment, chances are, by the time you've created it, and brought it to market...the moment passed.

Just saw that on Shark Tank.  Two women pitched a "Slime Bar" where kids could go to their saloon and create all sorts of slime.  As I watched it, I cringed.  I teach middle school.  Those poor ladies.  Kids are done with slime.  Moment's gone, pack it up.  You're sinking money and there's no saving it. That's how I feel when teams try to chase a moment.  You poor lads.  That's not cool any more.  Let it go.     

You said it. Renegades isn't an awful name to go with that color scheme (see: Dallas, XFL) but good God that sounds like a nightmare. I think there's a big difference between chasing design trends and being unique. In the '90s, the Hornets pretty much set the trend with a cartoonish logo, strange yet stylish color scheme, and pinstripes. Teal soon became prevalent in plenty of teams (Jazz, Sharks, Grizzlies, Diamondbacks, Marlins, etc.) and the Raptors and Grizzlies both adopted highly marketable larger-than-life logos to capitalize on with merchandise. However, look at how many of those changes are still around today: the Hornets, the original trendsetters, still use the teal and purple, but the Jazz, Grizzlies, D-Backs, and Marlins have all switched, and the Raptors and Grizzlies have "grown up" as a franchise and become more serious.

That's why you have to be able to identify what's a trend and what has staying power. Streetwear jerseys are trends, the Inter Miami color scheme has staying power despite being unique. It's very hard to do this, but it's where some of the best modern brands have come from. When teams can't lean on history/success, they have to invent themselves with something unique and far too many teams try to be "modern" by chasing trends but it always looks dated and laughable years later. It's bad enough when the jerseys are trendy, but if you select a trendy name, you're stuck with that. Kraken exemplifies chasing trends and trying too hard while Sockeyes has all the staying power you need and lends itself to a unique color scheme in all of sports, which is bonkers for marketing and merchandising.

13 minutes ago, nash61 said:

1. Metros

2. Thunderbirds

3. Totems

4. Sockeyes

5. Emeralds

5,839,306. Kraken

Seattle Sea Cattle

So it's not going to be the Seattle Cranes?

Seattle Simians or bust.

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

ScubaSteve posted this earlier, but I think this pretty much kills Kraken as an option. Why would the team name not be under an NDA for everyone in the league?

This could be the NHL version of Bobby Heenan yelling “but whose side is he on?!” as Hulk Hogan stormed the ring at Bash at the Beach ‘96. The Devils could have just accidentally spoiled the reveal trying to be clever.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, QCS said:

You said it. Renegades isn't an awful name to go with that color scheme (see: Dallas, XFL) but good God that sounds like a nightmare. I think there's a big difference between chasing design trends and being unique. In the '90s, the Hornets pretty much set the trend with a cartoonish logo, strange yet stylish color scheme, and pinstripes. Teal soon became prevalent in plenty of teams (Jazz, Sharks, Grizzlies, Diamondbacks, Marlins, etc.) and the Raptors and Grizzlies both adopted highly marketable larger-than-life logos to capitalize on with merchandise. However, look at how many of those changes are still around today: the Hornets, the original trendsetters, still use the teal and purple, but the Jazz, Grizzlies, D-Backs, and Marlins have all switched, and the Raptors and Grizzlies have "grown up" as a franchise and become more serious.

That's why you have to be able to identify what's a trend and what has staying power. Streetwear jerseys are trends, the Inter Miami color scheme has staying power despite being unique. It's very hard to do this, but it's where some of the best modern brands have come from. When teams can't lean on history/success, they have to invent themselves with something unique and far too many teams try to be "modern" by chasing trends but it always looks dated and laughable years later. It's bad enough when the jerseys are trendy, but if you select a trendy name, you're stuck with that. Kraken exemplifies chasing trends and trying too hard while Sockeyes has all the staying power you need and lends itself to a unique color scheme in all of sports, which is bonkers for marketing and merchandising.

I think you nailed the NBA and the teal thing.  Think about the Hornets...they went a little wonky on colors...but...their uniforms were...not THAT out of the box.  It was a somewhat traditional looking uniform with crazy colors and logo.  But the Grizzlies and the Raptops chased crazy colors but had garish looks on top.

You can go out of the box, but you cant burn the box, flip the bird and go insane.   You kind of have to always have...one foot still in.

I think with a team like the Kraken, you cant do that.  Youre going to have to go crazy uniform and name.  And probably garish colors.  I dont see anyway you can keep a foot in the box with the name Kraken, sadly.  I dont think theres a Charlotte Hornet or Anaheim Might Ducks saving grace.  A Kraken team with traditional looks sounds...impossible.  Maybe they can go the long way round and save it down the road like the Raptors have (kind of) and gone with adult-ish looking uniforms...but I think its a tall task that will struggle to come to fruition.   

Go with sockeye.  Take the awesome salmon/seafoam colors.  Own those.  Be a different and stand out positively.   Not like a sideshow with a gimmick.  

I still think Seattle Tridents is the best name. 

Ties in not just with the nautical theme of Seattle. 

Kracken is just......ok. 

But if their slogan isn't "Let's get Kracken", I'll never forgive them.