Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

30 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

That color scheme will only work if they're primarily green with blue accents. The reverse would be far too close to the Canucks.

Yeah. More Sounders than Seahawks.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My top 3:

1. Seattle Thunderbirds (Rename the WHL team)

2. Seattle Totems

3. Seattle Orcas

I can’t stand Metropolitans. Too close to the NY Mets, and “Metros” for short sounds silly.

My preferred color scheme would be dark green and light blue... different from the Canucks but still close to the other Seattle teams.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, CRichardson said:

That color scheme will only work if they're primarily green with blue accents. The reverse would be far too close to the Canucks.

I agree. Not just because of the Canucks issue, but anytime Tulane has gone with light blue as the primary it's looked far inferior to green in my mind. 

Is there a way to make green, blue, and yellow work? It could be a bridge between their arena mates the Sonics and the other local teams. THe arena could be mostly green and yellow, while their merch could be mostly green and blue. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think we're overthinking things if we're letting "whose mascot would win in a fight?" disqualify names. Either it's a good name, or it's not... on its own merits. The only reason to consider other teams in the league is to avoid overlap.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, hockey week said:
On 5/1/2017 at 2:19 PM, the admiral said:

Washington is the Evergreen State, so why not the Evergreens?

Because as soon as they go on the road and wear white jerseys, it invalidates their name.

QcqXG5r.gif

me right now

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I hope they avoid "Sea (anything)", especially considering the New Seawolves rugby team.

@bleuet had the best suggestion, which disappeared after an edit: Seattle Emeralds.

Yeah well, I wasnt sure after and then well, go figure, thanks! :-)

6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is there a way to make green, blue, and yellow work? It could be a bridge between their arena mates the Sonics and the other local teams. THe arena could be mostly green and yellow, while their merch could be mostly green and blue. 

Unless it's Team Brazil, unfortunately, no. Only on the condition that one of the three colours is used as a minor accent. Like the way the Sabres use silver or the way the Canucks (89-97) and Blues (85-94) used red.

Insisting that a Seattle NHL team must wear some form of green and blue to tie all of Seattle sports teams together is dumb. 

Why is it dumb? It’s dumb because there’s no way a NHL team in Seattle doesn’t lead to a NBA team in Seattle. And the Sonics 2.0 will be green and gold.

So trying to unify all Seattle teams with a green and blue scheme is foolish from the get-go. 

Not to mention the fact that Seattle NHL Placeholders’ closest geophraphical rival will be the Vancouver Canucks. Who use a blue/green colour scheme. 

I say embrace the fact that the Seattle NHL team will be sharing time with the Sonics and go with green and gold. 

Seattle Supersonics. An NHL team is far more likely to happen than an NBA team, so you might as well take a shot now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Seattle Bucks is my choice.

There are over 300,000 deer in Washington state and would tie in with the nature of the Northwest. The name "Bucks" would also evoke Seattle icon Starbucks.

The old minor-league team is irrelevant to this but it does show the name can work in hockey if done right. 

39d14c55083e02a38902b91f72d97bd9.jpg

There's also no team at any level in any sport named "Seattle Bucks" that I can find. The closest anything's come was a couple years ago when it was rumored the Milwaukee Bucks were moving to Seattle.

^ maybe if the guy who owns Starbucks was buying the team and was doing a sort of Charlotte "Bobcats" tongue in cheek kind of thing, otherwise no. 

Not to mention, there's nothing unique about deer. Deer are fricking everywhere, literally.  There's a lot more interesting local fauna (both real and mythological) they could use here if they wanted to go that route.  

Archived