Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

3 hours ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

Really hoping it's Sockeyes.

Just wondering, could the net and boat be hinting at the potential colour scheme? It matches what the team's website has had for a while now.

I can't help but think it's deliberate.

31 minutes ago, DDR said:

This could be the NHL version of Bobby Heenan yelling “but whose side is he on?!” as Hulk Hogan stormed the ring at Bash at the Beach ‘96. The Devils could have just accidentally spoiled the reveal trying to be clever.

spacer.png

I can't imagine anybody would sign off on a team's social media group deliberately leaking the name ahead of the official reveal. That seems...extremely counter-intuitive, even for the NHL. It'd essentially take all the wind out of the announcement.

1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I can't imagine anybody would sign off on a team's social media group deliberately leaking the name ahead of the official reveal. That seems...extremely counter-intuitive, even for the NHL. It'd essentially take all the wind out of the announcement.

And the Devils' quote tweet in question is still up as of now

If they did leak the name I'm sure someone would make them take it down.

41 minutes ago, DDR said:

This could be the NHL version of Bobby Heenan yelling “but whose side is he on?!” as Hulk Hogan stormed the ring at Bash at the Beach ‘96. The Devils could have just accidentally spoiled the reveal trying to be clever.

spacer.png

Eh -- it's pretty well documented that Heenan didn't know Hogan was making the turn that night. Had he actually been in on it, he would never have said that aloud.

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Your big league NHL has already given the green light to sillyass nicknames like the Wild, Golden Knights, Mighty Ducks and Thrashers. What makes Kraken any worse than those?

Don't forget Avalanche, Rockies, Lightning.  

1 hour ago, selgy said:

Don't forget Avalanche, Rockies, Lightning.  

They're all passable IMO.

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Eh -- it's pretty well documented that Heenan didn't know Hogan was making the turn that night. Had he actually been in on it, he would never have said that aloud.

That’s what I mean. If it’s the Kraken and other teams know this, the Devils would never post that. So if it ends up the Kraken, the Devils would have Hennan’d it...accidentally spoiling it.

Hoping for Sockeyes (the better of the two names that I think are truly in play) and a unique color scheme. Bracing for Kraken and a red and black color scheme. 

I like em both, prefer Kraken I guess.  Just please no black and red colors. sarah paulson please GIF

Everything else aside, I loved the video from NHL Seattle. That's some good pre-announcement hype there.

Hey all,

Just a PSA — I've set this thread to automatically lock at noon ET / 9 PT, and I'll open a new thread that will open at the same time. This will let us have this thread fade away a little bit, and give members who haven't been paying attention to the thread a clear view of discussion once it turns from hype and speculation to actually having something to discuss.

Cheers!

The Hockey Hall of Fame just posted:

The NHL's 32nd franchise, NHLSeattle, is making a big splash today

That lends itself to Kraken.

Of the front runners my preference would be Krakens, followed by Sockeyes, then Kraken. Still holding out hope for Emeralds... it could happen... right?

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Oh no, how dare a team in a non-traditional market itself as....gasp...a fun experience?! Blasphemy, I tell you! A true northern good market would never conduct such a affront to our timeless sport!

Just ignore all the silly stuff that happens during intermissions. Oh, and the fan chants. And the goal celebrations, those can get real silly at times; remember when people in Winnipeg had coronaries over Teemu Selanne's glove-shooting celebration?

Just wait until we start seeing some of the players' pre-game outfits now that the dress code has been relaxed. 

8 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

And the Devils' quote tweet in question is still up as of now

If they did leak the name I'm sure someone would make them take it down.

If the Devils had deleted the tweet that pretty much would've confirmed Kraken as the name, so I couldn't see Seattle forcing them to take it down. It's been one of the top rumored names for a while now, so it just seems like a more tongue-in-cheek reference.

Given the water motif it's safe to say names like Emeralds, Evergreens, Cascades, Metros, etc. are officially out of the running. Seems like it'll be either Sockeyes or Kraken, with Sea Lions as a dark horse candidate. Let's hope we get the logo & colours too.

13 minutes ago, nash61 said:

The Hockey Hall of Fame just posted:

That lends itself to Kraken.

Or Sockeyes. They live in water and splash about quite a bit too...

I think one of the most impressive parts is that there have been no leaks.  No real hints at colors, names, or anything.  

Waiting patiently till 9 and hoping for the best!

If it is Kraken, I hope fans around the league have this as a retort:

9 hours ago, Bayne said:

I can't help but think it's deliberate.

That’s just what color that stuff is.