Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Insisting that a Seattle NHL team must wear some form of green and blue to tie all of Seattle sports teams together is dumb. 

Why is it dumb? It’s dumb because there’s no way a NHL team in Seattle doesn’t lead to a NBA team in Seattle. And the Sonics 2.0 will be green and gold.

So trying to unify all Seattle teams with a green and blue scheme is foolish from the get-go. 

Not to mention the fact that Seattle NHL Placeholders’ closest geophraphical rival will be the Vancouver Canucks. Who use a blue/green colour scheme. 

I say embrace the fact that the Seattle NHL team will be sharing time with the Sonics and go with green and gold. 

What's dumb is forging a new identity around a colour scheme historically dominated by a second-six team just to coordinate with a basketball franchise that may or may not be coming back.  Honestly, who cares what the Sonics 2.0 do.  This is a new franchise that needs to carve out it's own identity.

A green dominated Seattle scheme (green, blue, white) would be much more attractive option.  Nobody would confuse them for the Canucks just like no one confuses the Habs for the Rangers.  The Whalers aren't coming back and their original scheme universally acclaimed so why not?

26 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Will Seattlians (Seattlites?) be somewhat pissed off that they're getting a hockey team before an NBA team?

Some are. Others realize that the NBA isn't expanding and the NHL is and that getting a building done is the most important step to getting the NBA back.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

What's dumb is forging a new identity around a colour scheme historically dominated by a second-six team just to coordinate with a basketball franchise that may or may not be coming back.  Honestly, who cares what the Sonics 2.0 do.  

The Stars seem content with green, black, and silver. We can say we prefer the gold all day long (and I do, personally) but they’re not going back. 

So that means a green and gold scheme is open as far as the NHL goes. 

As for the Sonics 2.0? My point is that making all Seattle teams some form of green and blue is pointless, because the Sonics will ruin that as soon as they become a reality.

So what’s the point in dressing a Seattle NHL team up in green and blue if the one thing it would serve- unifying all of Seattle’s teams- would be a non-issue the moment the Sonics are re-formed?

And make no mistake about it. The Sonics 2.0 are happening if the NHL is happening. 

So I say go for the green and gold for the new Seattle Metros. It’s a strong colour scheme currently going unused in the NHL. 

This is a new franchise that needs to carve out it's own identity.

3 hours ago, Morgo said:

A green dominated Seattle scheme (green, blue, white) would be much more attractive option.  Nobody would confuse them for the Canucks just like no one confuses the Habs for the Rangers. 

So you think a Seattle NHL expansion team should forge their own identity by copying the colour scheme of their closest geographic rivals? Switching the prominence of the blue and green won’t be enough. 

Your comparison to the Habs and Rangers is a poor one as well. While they’re both Original Six teams? They were never really rivals. On top of that? New York City and Montreal aren’t right next door to one and other. 

Both would apply to the Canucks and this Seattle team. 

Why even invite the comparisons with such a similar colour scheme?

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Will Seattlians (Seattlites?) be somewhat pissed off that they're getting a hockey team before an NBA team?

This would kinda tie in with the Space Needle, but what about the Seattle Satellites?

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Stars seem content with green, black, and silver. We can say we prefer the gold all day long (and I do, personally) but they’re not going back. 

So that means a green and gold scheme is open as far as the NHL goes.

The Stars are content with that scheme now but that won't last forever.  As good as their new jerseys look in a vacuum it was still a major gaff to ignore 46 years of green and gold tradition.  Stating they will never go back to that scheme is akin to someone in 1998 saying the Sabres would never return to blue and gold.  They can say they're 100% behind the new scheme now but eventually they will return to their roots.  Especially given the recent trends of uniform design, as you know all too well.

As for the Sonics 2.0? My point is that making all Seattle teams some form of green and blue is pointless, because the Sonics will ruin that as soon as they become a reality.

So what’s the point in dressing a Seattle NHL team up in green and blue if the one thing it would serve- unifying all of Seattle’s teams- would be a non-issue the moment the Sonics are re-formed?  And make no mistake about it. The Sonics 2.0 are happening if the NHL is happening.

I'm not advocating that scheme so all Seattle teams could be unified.  The Seahawks use Navy and Lime, not Kelly Green and Royal so that's a non-starter.  I'm advocating that scheme because Kelly Green as a base would make perfect sense for the 'Emerald City' and the league is sorely missing a Green -> Blue -> White team since the Whalers left.  It's a beautiful look that would suit Seattle perfectly.

So you think a Seattle NHL expansion team should forge their own identity by copying the colour scheme of their closest geographic rivals? Switching the prominence of the blue and green won’t be enough. 

It's not copying any more than Rangers copying the Habs.  There are only so many colour schemes and Green and Gold will forever be associated with the Northstars/Stars franchise.  They can go with silver for 20 years, the association will still be there.

Your comparison to the Habs and Rangers is a poor one as well. While they’re both Original Six teams? They were never really rivals. On top of that? New York City and Montreal aren’t right next door to one and other. 

I would argue that they are rivals but that's neither here nor there.  If the Rangers and Habs were next door to each-other, it wouldn't be a problem because they use that colour scheme in vastly different ways.   The same would be true for the Canucks and Seattle.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Stars are content with that scheme now but that won't last forever.  As good as their new jerseys look in a vacuum it was still a major gaff to ignore 46 years of green and gold tradition.  Stating they will never go back to that scheme is akin to someone in 1998 saying the Sabres would never return to blue and gold.  They can say they're 100% behind the new scheme now but eventually they will return to their roots.  Especially given the recent trends of uniform design, as you know all too well.

Except that the current look was born out of the retro craze, whereas the Sabres' red and black look was born out of the "let's make everything XTREME" 90s.

Will the Stars ever go back to green and gold? Maybe. It's certainly possible. That being said? It's currently not being used. And if it's not being used? It's fair game.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I'm advocating that scheme because Kelly Green as a base would make perfect sense for the 'Emerald City' and the league is sorely missing a Green -> Blue -> White team since the Whalers left.  It's a beautiful look that would suit Seattle perfectly.

I don't think it fits Seattle perfectly. It fits the Northwest perfectly, and the Canucks already capitalised on it.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

Green and Gold will forever be associated with the Northstars/Stars franchise.

Maybe, but maybe not. Again, it's not being used. Seattle could claim it. The Stars may never go back to it, figuring it's now "Seattle's" scheme. I'm all for respecting a team's aesthetic history, but you can't claim a colour scheme you wilfully abandon. The Stars don't get to keep "dibs" on green and gold despite using green, black, and silver.

Furthermore? The Whalers' old scheme is only fondly remembered because the Canucks abandoned royal blue and kelly green by the time the Whalers embraced it. The Canucks were a black, burnt orange/red, and gold team by that point.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

I would argue that they are rivals but that's neither here nor there.

My father's a Habs fan. As is half my family. I know what I'm talking about when I say the Habs and Rangers never really had a rivalry.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

If the Rangers and Habs were next door to each-other, it wouldn't be a problem because they use that colour scheme in vastly different ways.   The same would be true for the Canucks and Seattle.

The fact that New York and Montreal weren't/aren't within spitting distance helps a great deal. It gives each team's brand some room to grow. With the Canucks and Metros (because I'm sick of saying "potential Seattle NHL team") you're talking about two cities very close to each other. It would be downright silly for Seattle to adopt any form of a royal blue/kelly green scheme.

You might as well start up a baseball team in Newark and dress them in midnight navy pinstripes.

The Whalers color scheme that seems to be most embraced is the navy/green/silver from the end. I don't see a great deal of love for the Cooperall-era Whalers, nor should I, because kelly green with a little royal blue was gross. The Canucks do it the other way around and it's much better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Except that the current look was born out of the retro craze, whereas the Sabres' red and black look was born out of the "let's make everything XTREME" 90s.

Will the Stars ever go back to green and gold? Maybe. It's certainly possible. That being said? It's currently not being used. And if it's not being used? It's fair game.

The metallic silver and modern logos don't scream "retro-craze" to me.  They didn't even use one of the many striping patterns the Northstars/Stars have had in the past.  The Stars were one of the few teams I was hoping would jump the bandwagon and bring back the Northstars scheme intact.  They still should and I'd hate to see an expansion team get in the way of what needs to be done.

I don't think it fits Seattle perfectly. It fits the Northwest perfectly, and the Canucks already capitalised on it.

Kelly green would better represent "Emerald City" than forest.  That's Minnesota's colour.

Maybe, but maybe not. Again, it's not being used. Seattle could claim it. The Stars may never go back to it, figuring it's now "Seattle's" scheme.

Yes they could but the point is that they shouldn't.  The scheme should belong to the team that used it for 46 years and won a Stanley Cup with it.

Furthermore? The Whalers' old scheme is only fondly remembered because the Canucks abandoned royal blue and kelly green by the time the Whalers embraced it. The Canucks were a black, burnt orange/red, and gold team by that point.

It's fondly remembered because it looked good not because the Canucks inexplicably changed schemes.  Vancouver should have never went with that Halloween-horror-palette in the first place and I doubt it would have affected the Whalers scheme if they didn't.  They couldn't have brought the WHA scheme over because, like what you're proposing, it encroached on an established, second-six identity.

The fact that New York and Montreal weren't/aren't within spitting distance helps a great deal. It gives each team's brand some room to grow. With the Canucks and Metros (because I'm sick of saying "potential Seattle NHL team") you're talking about two cities very close to each other. It would be downright silly for Seattle to adopt any form of a royal blue/kelly green scheme.  You might as well start up a baseball team in Newark and dress them in midnight navy pinstripes.

If Kelly Green -> Royal is too similar to the Canucks, change the Royal to Navy.  Just don't use what should belong to the Stars.  For all we know their upcoming alternate jersey could be a Northstars inspired fauxback or the 1993/94 uniform they'll be using in a warmup this year.

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Whalers color scheme that seems to be most embraced is the navy/green/silver from the end. I don't see a great deal of love for the Cooperall-era Whalers, nor should I, because kelly green with a little royal blue was gross. The Canucks do it the other way around and it's much better.

They wore cooperalls for one season, not the entire duration of using those colours.  This is gross?  On what planet?

QenNFO2.png

The renderings are far more sympathetic than the game photos:

26195.jpgef7787b9fa571497dccb6a33faaa45c9--hartfo

Not my favorites. Something about all that green isn't too easy on the eyes. I like these way better and I think most folks agree:

3031.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 12/11/2017 at 12:33 PM, TaylorMade said:

Some are. Others realize that the NBA isn't expanding and the NHL is and that getting a building done is the most important step to getting the NBA back.

That's where I am. I'm shrugging at NHL, but hopeful for NBA.

I wanted the Hansen arena, but the NBA hates him so it's probably for the best, all things considered. The Hansen plan did include an option to renovate KeyArena as a concert-only venue. Seattle could support two arenas like that; it's a shame that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The renderings are far more sympathetic than the game photos:

26195.jpgef7787b9fa571497dccb6a33faaa45c9--hartfo

Not my favorites. Something about all that green isn't too easy on the eyes. I like these way better and I think most folks agree:

3031.jpg

I don't know. As much as I love the Whaler's old all-green look, its rather large but lone flaw was that it was a bit too gaudy, having too little blue in it to break up all that kelly green and white. I loved the addition of gray but I wasn't the biggest fan of the Whalers ditching their traditional primary color for the trendier navy blue. I always liked the idea of a green counterpart of their 1990s blue uniforms with plenty of gray to go around, like the Plymouth Whalers wore:

09jy8l3848_large_medium.jpg

The green could possibly be darkened, but I always felt that this is what the Whalers should've worn in the 1990s and would likely be wearing today (with the appropriate crest) had they managed to stick around.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived