Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

The renderings are far more sympathetic than the game photos:

26195.jpgef7787b9fa571497dccb6a33faaa45c9--hartfo

3031.jpg

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I don't know. As much as I love the Whaler's old all-green look, its rather large but lone flaw was that it was a bit too gaudy, having too little blue in it to break up all that kelly green and white. I loved the addition of gray but I wasn't the biggest fan of the Whalers ditching their traditional primary color for the trendier navy blue. I always liked the idea of a green counterpart of their 1990s blue uniforms with plenty of gray to go around, like the Plymouth Whalers wore:

09jy8l3848_large_medium.jpg

The green could possibly be darkened, but I always felt that this is what the Whalers should've worn in the 1990s and would likely be wearing today (with the appropriate crest) had they managed to stick around.

I'm in total agreement with Morgo here. I don't see how an all-green uniform can be seen as garish just because it's distinctive from the more common primary dark colours. What the Whalers should have done in '92 was change the kelly green to forest/hunter green(same with the North Stars in '91) and change the royal blue to either light teal or powder sky blue(same shade as what the Penguins had). That's the look I would like to see Seattle have. An all-kelly green would be my choice because Minnesota owns the all-forest green look.

As for the Plymouth Whalers' look, that would be perfect for a future Canucks third uniform.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I wanted the Hansen arena, but the NBA hates him so it's probably for the best, all things considered. The Hansen plan did include an option to renovate KeyArena as a concert-only venue. Seattle could support two arenas like that; it's a shame that didn't happen.

Same here. KeyArena as a concert venue made sense because of Seattle Center -- those shows would be a better fit than sporting events. And it was a cool plan, too!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 month later...

OK...so not sure if this counts as thread bumping or not, but in light of this article on the mothership I figured this was a good time to jump back in.

For those too lazy to click the link, the options are as follows:

Seattle Cougars
Seattle Eagles
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Firebirds
Seattle Kraken
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Renegades
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Seals
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Totems
Seattle Whales

For a lot of folks I'm guessing the presence of Totems on the list is very exciting. I admit I'm much more skeptical as I feel like anything touching on native culture is the third rail of American sports branding these days. If they do decide to go with that option they need to do so with the support of local tribes...it would be truly embarrassing for the NHL to have it's two newest teams simultaneously embroiled in trademark issues...which means this is exactly what's going to happen.

As for the rest of the list, I really enjoy the alliteration of Sea Lions. It's a unique name amongst the "big four" and is a nice tip of the hat to the Seals without hijacking the name. I also like the idea of someone basing the brand around an aquatic lion (or some kind of lion/elemental) rather than the pinniped. Sockeyes is another name with great alliteration and local flavor, I'm just not sure if the NHL is ready to have two fish-themed teams in the same conference (not to mention the existence of Sockeye Brewing in Boise could make things complicated). Evergreens and Emeralds are both bold choices as they also fall outside the normal sports naming conventions. The exception of course is the Eugene Emeralds, and I'm not sure how they feel about the news. 

All the other names are either painfully generic (Cougars, Eagles, Renegades...edit: oh and Firebirds which was apparently too boring for me to even register the first time around), tread too closely to existing and/or historical brands (Rainiers - local beer brewed by PBR, Whales - Whalers and the current Vancouver logo, Seals - the Oakland/California Seals), or are the verbal equivalent of shoving a spoon in a garbage disposal (Seattle Kraken). On the last point, I've seen Sparky Chewbarky's concept, and while I like the two-tone green and red, the brand itself leaves me uninspired. You could just as easily go with the Seattle Squids, use the same logos, and collect the alliteration bonus points. 

On 1/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, the admiral said:

MOD EDIT: Immaterial to the discussion.THE KRAKEN ISN'T IN THE PACIFIC!!! MOD EDIT: Immaterial to the discussion.

MOD EDIT: Immaterial to the discussion. The Kraken is a creature from Scandinavian maritime folklore. MOD EDIT: Immaterial to the discussion.

Seals and Whales I would say are no go due to them being names (or similar) to now defunct teams.  I would give Whales an exemption if it meant the Canucks would then change their logo, but they had a great opportunity to ditch the Orca with the Reebok makeover and didn't, so that's probably never going to happen. 

Sockeyes could work.  Ties in with the Pacific Northwest and the Pike Market isn't too far away from where they will be playing.  Too bad that can't go with Salmon Kings. 

Renegades if they want to go against the grain and have colours that would probably be completely different from the teams already in the city.  I see black, red, and orange.

Kraken would be great if they are able to get Liam Neeson to record a video dressed up as Zeus and yell out "Release The Kraken" just before the team takes to the ice.

23e.jpg

Green Whalers >>>>>>>> Navy Whalers.  By a LOT.

The logo should never have been encased in that silver box.  It works best when the negative space flows into the rest of the jersey. 

6a00d8341d46ee53ef0133ee58e712970b-800wi > dineenx-large.jpg?ssl=1

788-t2042940-340.jpg >  3-t6622592-340.jpg

Also, Kevin Dineen > you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Green Whalers >>>>>>>> Navy Whalers.  By a LOT.

The logo should never have been encased in that silver box.  It works best when the negative space flows into the rest of the jersey. 

6a00d8341d46ee53ef0133ee58e712970b-800wi > dineenx-large.jpg?ssl=1

788-t2042940-340.jpg >  3-t6622592-340.jpg

Also, Kevin Dineen > you.

Agreed. The navy set is still a beaut, but that green man...

sig.png

Archived