Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Prince Harry said:

I'd love to see a flipped version of the Wilds colours, say deep red/maroon and a lighter green. Sea green or emerald would look good and it shouldn't step on the Canuck's toes too much with Seattle using a complete opposite primary colour than blue, if they use a similar green.

A maroon-based team in the NHL would be great, as the Coyotes technically use "brick red" and wear black pants anyways. The Avs wear burgundy but half the home jersey is blue and the black equipment takes up a lot of their uniform too. Maroon would separate them from the rest of the Seattle teams without being too far out there like using brighter red would be. 

I think one of these colour schemes would be ideal:

- Maroon/Deep Red and sea green

- Deep red and kelly green (think original metropolitans)

- Forest and lighter green (could go sea or kelly for the lighter green)

- Forest green and light blue (the Bucks scheme but without cream)

I feel like a double green along the lines of Winnipeg's double blue could work.

On 9/3/2018 at 9:09 AM, AstroBull21 said:

I feel like a double green along the lines of Winnipeg's double blue could work.

Double green is a no-brainer if Emeralds is the chosen name. 

I was just thinking...the Mariners are often referred to as the M's. The Emeralds would be the Ems. Lol. 

"Ems upset Preds in Music City".

This might be a stretch but I would hope they go with the Totems and use the impression/emboss whatever it is the Golden Knights use on their jerseys and jersey crest but with Haida Native American style art in the stripes, as a subtle nod to the culture and designs.

16 hours ago, Toronto206 said:

This might be a stretch but I would hope they go with the Totems and use the impression/emboss whatever it is the Golden Knights use on their jerseys and jersey crest but with Haida Native American style art in the stripes, as a subtle nod to the culture and designs.

Red would make a lot of sense for Totems as well since a lot of Haida designs are red, black, and white (although I've seen some examples of red, black, and turquoise that would be both unique and stunning.

As far as the incorporation of Haida design elements into the striping...absolutely. I was a big fan of the Vancouver Grizzlies uniforms and I think a subtle incorporation of Haida elements into a more traditional striping pattern (perhaps even into the numbers?) could be fantastic.

That being said, we're 20+ years out from 1995, and I have to wonder if we are still in an age when a professional sports team can just co-opt iconography from indigenous cultures anymore. Honestly, I think that may be the single biggest obstacle to the Totems identity (which is honestly my favorite name among those being seriously discussed). I'm not saying its impossible, but it would likely require buy-in from local tribal groups. After the debacle with Vegas I can't imagine the league wants to see any controversy surrounding Seattle's brand. Honestly something as simple as a charity program for native athletes would go a very long way to circumvent any potential backlash, and could establish a precedent for a professional sports team supporting indigenous culture rather than simply profiting off it.

People keep mentioning the Haida for a Totems logo. Haidas are much more a Northern B.C./Southwestern Alaska tribe (which is why the Grizzlies influence makes a little more sense).

So many other tribes around the Seattle/Western Washington area from the Coast Salish group to draw inspiration from if that was the direction the team wanted to go.

On ‎9‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:50 PM, Prince Harry said:

I'd love to see a flipped version of the Wilds colours, say deep red/maroon and a lighter green. Sea green or emerald would look good and it shouldn't step on the Canuck's toes too much with Seattle using a complete opposite primary colour than blue, if they use a similar green.

A maroon-based team in the NHL would be great, as the Coyotes technically use "brick red" and wear black pants anyways. The Avs wear burgundy but half the home jersey is blue and the black equipment takes up a lot of their uniform too. Maroon would separate them from the rest of the Seattle teams without being too far out there like using brighter red would be. 

I think one of these colour schemes would be ideal:

- Maroon/Deep Red and sea green

- Deep red and kelly green (think original metropolitans)

- Forest and lighter green (could go sea or kelly for the lighter green)

- Forest green and light blue (the Bucks scheme but without cream)

I like the Deep Red and Kelly Green set up, but I would like to see Fall leaves dark brown almost red.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

13 hours ago, OMMF said:

People keep mentioning the Haida for a Totems logo. Haidas are much more a Northern B.C./Southwestern Alaska tribe (which is why the Grizzlies influence makes a little more sense).

So many other tribes around the Seattle/Western Washington area from the Coast Salish group to draw inspiration from if that was the direction the team wanted to go.

My apologies. I admit I'm not well versed on the tribal groups of the PNW. However, based on some quick research, the Haida and Salish cultures share very similar design aesthetics:

Salish:                                                                   Haida:

eagle_salmon_t.jpg                dbbb6d471f33ca94d57684d2fcf099ec--native

Obviously these are both contemporary pieces taken from the internet, so I'd be hard pressed to make any claims that either image is definitively Salish or Haida, however I would argue that there are enough similarities between the two that the lay person would be hard pressed to distinguish one from another. Obviously if the Seattle organization decides to adopt indigenous design elements it would be in their best interest to recognize local tribal groups first and foremost, regardless of the exact geographic origins of the design.

The red and teal on those Salish designs are an ideal color combination. Admittedly, even as a Wild fan, I loathe the combination of green and red. I finally like what the Wild have done by minimizing the use of red to an accent color. I don't think I could stomach a look that gives green and red equal weight.

But that red and teal works. 

On 1/29/2018 at 1:46 AM, monkeypower said:

Kraki.

Krakalakas.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:24 PM, Scratcher said:

That sounds odd considering the proximity of colors between the Seahawks, the Sounders, and even the recently created Seattle Seawolves.

Actually, it always looked like Seattle teams kinda wanted/enjoyed this color similarity in town

If anything, I'd be jumping on the Seahawks/Sounders/Mariners color scheming, only perhaps reversing it and making that lime green the primary.  It'd stick out like a sore thumb, but it'd definitely sell.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:53 PM, Ark said:

Seattle Sea Cattle

I like it. 

Dare you prattle about the Seattle Sea Cattle?  Or get your infant a Seattle Sea Cattle rattle?

On 3/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, Pharos04 said:

Seattle Karma Chameleons?

Nah.  Fans of a team like that would come and go... they'd come and go.

nav-logo.png

Interesting quote...

http://mynorthwest.com/929418/jay-inslee-seattle-totems-nhl-name/

“We cannot wait to get on a high speed rail line to come up and have the greatest rivalry in North American which is to have the Seattle Totems versus the Vancouver Canucks,” Inslee said Friday in reference to a new British Columbia government proposal to study high-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

On 3/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, hawk36 said:

I'd be for that. It's probably my favorite concept I've seen to date. 

Green_Thunderbird_Jersey.1514995251.jpg

I'm a big fan of the name, and I would love to see double green...but that logo needs to be cleaned up and modernized pretty significantly. It's not bad as part of a large, glossy concept render...but at any distance or any size smaller than the front of a jersey...it's going to be a hot mess. 

On 3/17/2018 at 7:54 AM, ldconcepts said:

Article has been updated:

Governor gets a minor penalty

On the morning of March 19, Inslee’s office responded via Twitter.

The office says Inslee is looking forward to hockey in Seattle “no matter what the team is named,” adding “Inslee, #23, 2 minutes for speculative naming.”

Archived