Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

4 hours ago, M4One said:

These are the 13 names the Oak View Group have registered:

Rainiers, Kraken, Evergreens, Seals, Emeralds, Sea Lions, Sockeyes, Whales, Eagles, Totems, Cougars, Firebirds, Renegades

A Seattle Times poll had Sockeyes on top, with a total of 164,144 votes casted.  Totems and Metros were next.

46090134101_a0d45e1aa3_o.jpg

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/25440967/uni-watch-delivers-winning-entries-seattle-nhl-design-contest

I can even see them using a unique shade like the previous Seahawks set:

Related image

Some might bring up the Canucks, but that logo has an orca in it. An orca is part of the dolphin family, and not an actual whale. They're not even comparable:

Image result for orcaRelated image

Seattle could really take advantage of this, imo, and come up with a great uniform and logo.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Everyone is gonna call them the Seattle Gays and that inaugural season patch is gonna get turned into a dick.

lmao. I wouldn't necessarily use the name Greys or go with those designs, but they just made me think of the name Whales when I saw them posted in that Uni Watch article. 

Bovada has odds on the name:

12/7/185:20 PM

Show Less
  • Totems-105
  • Emeralds+400
  • Rainiers+700
  • Sockeyes+700
  • Kraken+700
  • Evergreens +2800
  • Renegades +1600
  • Sea Lions+2200
  • Firebirds+2800
  • Cougars+2800
  • Eagles+2800

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Blazers are red and black

Cougars are red and silver

49ers are red and gold

The Mariners don't really have rivals because they stink, but the Angels are red and red

Red is not a color for Seattle sports. I can't imagine it will stand.

I don’t think they are going to be red.

But, something that always annoys me: Half of WSU alumni are from western Washington. It drives me crazy when people imply Seattle is singularly devoted to UW. There’s also Seattle U which is literally black and red.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

6 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

I don’t think they are going to be red.

But, something that always annoys me: Half of WSU alumni are from western Washington. It drives me crazy when people imply Seattle is singularly devoted to UW. There’s also Seattle U which is literally black and red.

You wouldn't start a purple team in Pullman and call in the Huskies, would you?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

You wouldn't start a purple team in Pullman and call in the Huskies, would you?

Pretty sure there's a 0.00000000001% an NHL team in Seattle will be called the Cougars. 

Comparing Seattle to Pullman is a stretch.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Pretty sure there's a 0.00000000001% an NHL team in Seattle will be called the Cougars. 

Comparing Seattle to Pullman is a stretch.

One of the proposed names is Cougars, and they've led with red and black. I'm just going by the info they've presented.

Obviously it's all conjecture, but it can be really easy. Seattle has a pretty solid blue/green/teal/navy aesthetic among its pro sports teams. Gold too if the Sonics ever return. Let's just go with those.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was set on a green base but after reading the write up on Icethetics and his feelings, red/black/turquoise to go with the native theme makes a lot of sense. Picture something like the Kelowna Rockets. I think a darker red with that would be good and help them stand out from the rest of the division, especially  Vancouver. 

1 hour ago, Kaz said:

Everyone is gonna call them the Seattle Gays and that inaugural season patch is gonna get turned into a dick.

M2buvaa.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Everything you need to know about Seattle's new NHL team

Seattle's COO, Victor de Bonis, told the ESPN On Ice podcast this week, "It's like anything. If you put the time in, and you think through it properly, you listen to the fans of what they feel is important to them with their team, and you line those things up and do the right amount of work, you'll pick the right name. And it might not feel like the right name when it comes out, but as it evolves, and over time, and when the puck drops that first game ... we've failed if you're not excited about the entire situation with that team."

Well, that's encouraging.

😬

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Seattle's COO, Victor de Bonis, told the ESPN On Ice podcast this week, "It's like anything. If you put the time in, and you think through it properly, you listen to the fans of what they feel is important to them with their team, and you line those things up and do the right amount of work, you'll pick the right name. And it might not feel like the right name when it comes out, but as it evolves, and over time, and when the puck drops that first game ... we've failed if you're not excited about the entire situation with that team." 

I believe Minnesota Wild fans are still waiting for that evolution for the team name to make sense.

And, my two cents ... give me the Seattle Sockeyes. It works and sounds very hockey-ish.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Seattle Sockeyes?  I mean I get it, it's a regional fish, but that brand feels minor league.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived