Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, M4One said:

Red and black could simply be the colours the group chose for all the promo material and not the actual team colours.  I doubt they have gotten that far just yet, especially since the name could potential influence the colours.  However, I could see why they might want to go with red and black, to not only stick out among the other pro teams in Seattle, but the Canucks as well.  That being said, it would be pretty stupid to come out with something looking like the New Jersey Devils.  

The only reason I'd say they may actually be using red/black is that their ownership team includes Jay Deutsche who is the owner of one of the top promotional merchandise companies in the world ( coincidentally where I had my first job ) . He understands merchandise like few others and I'd imagine he's been a big part of what the look is currently, as well as what it will be. Not saying it's set in stone BUT it also would make a lot of sense, merchandise wise, to keep and grow the red/black look.  

16 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Seals, Sea Lions and Kraken just feel too much like AAA Minor League Baseball to me.  Eagles is a nice nod to the Seahawks, but at the same time it makes you think NFL and, well, Philly.  And Cougars seems a bit odd with both the Preds and Panthers already using big cat imagery.

I think I like Emeralds the best.

Side note - the local MiLB team here in Eugene is the Ems and they have some cool sasquatch / bigfoot branding to go with that name.  

eugene_emeralds_alts.gif

Out of all of them I think Kraken is the worst possible name.  It is the most minor league, XFLish, Arena Footballish name that could be selected.  I am in favor of Sockeyes, Steelheads, Totems.  Being a former Washingtonian they should stay away from Cougars or Huskies so they can pull in both sides of the state.  I do think this Eugene color scheme would be awesome and unique for the NHL.  

1 minute ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

Out of all of them I think Kraken is the worst possible name.  It is the most minor league, XFLish, Arena Footballish name that could be selected.  I am in favor of Sockeyes, Steelheads, Totems.  Being a former Washingtonian they should stay away from Cougars or Huskies so they can pull in both sides of the state.  I do think this Eugene color scheme would be awesome and unique for the NHL.  

This is exactly why a Portland MLB team shouldn’t use the sobriquet “Beavers.”

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is exactly why a Portland MLB team shouldn’t use the sobriquet “Beavers.”

But yes Ducks or Beavers would not be the best thing for a potential MLB Portland team to select. I would be in favor of them adopting the Hops moniker if they could. 

2 hours ago, kimball said:

I believe Minnesota Wild fans are still waiting for that evolution for the team name to make sense.

And, my two cents ... give me the Seattle Sockeyes. It works and sounds very hockey-ish.

Speaking for myself and the other Wild fans I know personally here in the State of Hockey, there's been no issue with the name.  There's been grumblings about their uniform stumbles but the name and logo are loved here locally

3 hours ago, kimball said:

I believe Minnesota Wild fans are still waiting for that evolution for the team name to make sense.

And, my two cents ... give me the Seattle Sockeyes. It works and sounds very hockey-ish.

How does the Wild name not make sense? It might not be a very good name because like many collective names it's awkward grammatically. Maybe it doesn't make sense to people who have never spent time in the state?

31 minutes ago, lbj273 said:

Speaking for myself and the other Wild fans I know personally here in the State of Hockey, there's been no issue with the name.  There's been grumblings about their uniform stumbles but the name and logo are loved here locally

Yeah, people here love the Wild. The team has done a good job capturing the nostalgia of growing up playing and watching hockey in the state of Minnesota.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, lbj273 said:

That's great to know. As an outsider with no connection, I think the Wild name and logo are among the worst in the league. But, if the locals want/like it, I'm all for whatever the locals want. 

8 hours ago, Survival79 said:

Like the Golden Knights. When it came out, everyone thought it sucked. After they began to play and build an identity, it totally fits and sounds good.

Sockeyes is NOT an NHL caliber name. I like Emeralds, personally.

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

How does the Wild name not make sense? It might not be a very good name because like many collective names it's awkward grammatically. Maybe it doesn't make sense to people who have never spent time in the state?

Yeah, people here love the Wild. The team has done a good job capturing the nostalgia of growing up playing and watching hockey in the state of Minnesota.

I think the logo is one of the best in the league.  I thought the name was funny/weird when it was first announced, but I've gotten over it.  The thing is, I think people dislike the name because it is unusual, but also because it's not the Northstars, which might actually be the bigger of the two reasons.

I'm not really inspired by any of the names they've registered.

Seems like Totems is a favorite given the history. Sockeyes is growing on me but seems more minor league.  I love Kracken but that's definitely minor league and in general I don't like singular names.  Emeralds.... A color, doesn't inspire me.  

Honestly my favorite is Thunderbirds but that doesn't seem likely. Pilot's I'm a fan of too but no go with the Brewers I'm sure.

I was just browsing through some local high school nicknames to get a feel for good local ideas and here's some I thought were decent.

Stags

Triton's

Navigator's

Pioneer's

Lumberjack's

High climber's

I guess as long as there's a good color and logo the name won't matter too much.  Most people I know prefer to keep with the Seahawks/mariners/Sounders theme of blue and greenish.  I think a green and yellow to he similar to the Sonic's would be fitting. A red, black, turquoise native feel would be fitting too if done properly.  

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

21 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Seals, Sea Lions and Kraken just feel too much like AAA Minor League Baseball to me.  Eagles is a nice nod to the Seahawks, but at the same time it makes you think NFL and, well, Philly.  And Cougars seems a bit odd with both the Preds and Panthers already using big cat imagery.

I think I like Emeralds the best.

Side note - the local MiLB team here in Eugene is the Ems and they have some cool sasquatch / bigfoot branding to go with that name.  

eugene_emeralds_alts.gif

I don't think anything Sasquatch-related is happening.

Image result for avalanche foot logo

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

2 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Sockeyes is NOT an NHL caliber name. I like Emeralds, personally.

To each their own, I guess? But, Emeralds sounds more amateurish than Sockeyes, IMO. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

49 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

I don't think anything Sasquatch-related is happening.

Image result for avalanche foot logo

I didn't mean that they'd use a bigfoot theme for the new Seattle team.

Just that Emeralds was a good name.  And then separately, there is a club called Emeralds who has some cool branding.  

Sorry, didn't mean to conflate those two topics.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived