Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

16 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Would green and red be too Minnesota Wild-y?  

I'd say Seattle should go with Mariners or Seahawks colors but I guess those are too close to what Vancouver has so that probably won't happen.  

Red and black would be very boring, I hope that's not it. 

I think red and green would be great. The Wild have sort of distanced themselves from red (in a good way), so if Seattle went red heavy with green trim, it should be different enough. Throw a little black in there to make it their own.

sig.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to go on record that I hate Steelheads, as our city already had a very bad super bowl experience against a “steel” team

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I think red and green would be great. The Wild have sort of distanced themselves from red (in a good way), so if Seattle went red heavy with green trim, it should be different enough. Throw a little black in there to make it their own.

I could get on board with red and green (also a nod to the Metropolitans) but would not want to see black involved as that would clutter. 

Instead of adding black I'd rather see the green be a deep, dark forest green that can work like a black, paired with a nice red and maybe cream instead of a bright white. 

GreenRed.jpg

2 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I could get on board with red and green (also a nod to the Metropolitans) but would not want to see black involved as that would clutter. 

Instead of adding black I'd rather see the green be a deep, dark forest green that can work like a black, paired with a nice red and maybe cream instead of a bright white. 

Agreed. I was thinking black as only minor trim, but you're right. 

sig.png

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

GreenRed.jpg

Not too dark in which the green is almost black. More like the Minnesota Wild's forest green or the Boston Celtics' dark Kelly green. In the age of HD television, a good uniform should be able to stand out. That's why I love the Golden Knights' uniforms - that steel grey base with metallic gold and black look so good. Green should be the primary.

As for the red, I would hope for an orangey-red or the same light shade that the Carolina Hurricanes use as a secondary.

Well...finally finished "The Battle of Seattle" over in the Concepts. I summarized the 12 concepts and put them in a book over at issue...

sYta6sb.jpg

It's full of colour ideas, different styles, logos, mascots and stuff. You can see the whole book here...https://issuu.com/sparkychewbarky/docs/the_battle_of_seattle

Enjoy!...

and now this i never understood:

https://www.thehockeyblawg.com/single-post/2017/06/21/NHL-owns-right-to-“Seattle-Metropolitans”-trademark-in-Canada-but-not-United-States

so he is basically doing this so he could make money.

the one is Canada i get since the NHL owns it but not the other person.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Well...finally finished "The Battle of Seattle" over in the Concepts. I summarized the 12 concepts and put them in a book over at issue...

sYta6sb.jpg

It's full of colour ideas, different styles, logos, mascots and stuff. You can see the whole book here...https://issuu.com/sparkychewbarky/docs/the_battle_of_seattle

Enjoy!...

Those dark red/ lime green schemes are great IF they decide to go with a red and green combo. It'll separate them from the Minnesota Wild, and give them a connection to Seattle sports at the same time.

Florida Panthers v Minnesota Wild : News Photo

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

Those dark red/ lime green schemes are great IF they decide to go with a red and green combo. It'll separate them from the Minnesota Wild, and give them a connection to Seattle sports at the same time.

Florida Panthers v Minnesota Wild : News Photo

How about a forest green base(like Minnesota's) with yellow-gold/or/metallic gold and red? 

32 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

What I’m sort of picturing for the Seattle team is the Vancouver Grizzlies colours, but more red and black heavy with less emphasis on teal

I would substitute the teal with Kelly green and make the red and black secondaries. Another Blackhawks copycat look, with teal or no teal, is going to ruin Seattle's chance of being distinctive and unique.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 3:28 PM, goalieboy82 said:

and now this i never understood:

https://www.thehockeyblawg.com/single-post/2017/06/21/NHL-owns-right-to-“Seattle-Metropolitans”-trademark-in-Canada-but-not-United-States

so he is basically doing this so he could make money.

the one is Canada i get since the NHL owns it but not the other person.

It seems ridiculous that just anyone can trademark a defunct team brand despite having absolutely no connection to it. Same thing happened with the Vancouver Millionaires brand. It was trademarked by local musician Thor. He made a few t-shirts and then waited for the Canucks to come calling. He made more money off that trademark then he ever did on record sales. The NHL may or may not buy the rights to use Metropolitans as a team name. Either way there will be a demand for throwback merchandise so Kim was pretty smart. I just wish he would have trademarked Sockeyes, Kraken, and Steelheads so the team wouldnt consider those names.

14 minutes ago, uniformity said:

I just wish he would have trademarked Sockeyes, Kraken, and Steelheads so the team wouldnt consider those names.

Well, no matter what name the Seattle NHL expansion franchise finally settles on, it may have an AHL farm-team dubbed the Steelheads. According to the Idaho Press, Eric Trapp - president of the Idaho Steelheads - has confirmed that the Boise-based ECHL franchise has been contacted by NHL Seattle about the possibility of the new National Hockey League club locating its American Hockey League affiliate in the Idaho state capital city.

A promotion for the Steelheads? Seattle NHL franchise looks at Boise as potential AHL location.  

1 hour ago, uniformity said:

It seems ridiculous that just anyone can trademark a defunct team brand despite having absolutely no connection to it. Same thing happened with the Vancouver Millionaires brand. It was trademarked by local musician Thor. He made a few t-shirts and then waited for the Canucks to come calling. He made more money off that trademark then he ever did on record sales. The NHL may or may not buy the rights to use Metropolitans as a team name. Either way there will be a demand for throwback merchandise so Kim was pretty smart. I just wish he would have trademarked Sockeyes, Kraken, and Steelheads so the team wouldnt consider those names.

it wasn't like he made money on Zombie Nightmare (West was in it for the pay check)

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, uniformity said:

If no one owns it and no one’s using it, why shouldn’t he be able to file a trademark for it? It wouldn’t be fair to block a legitimate trademark filing simply because the requestor is an individual person rather than a large corporation.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Seattle Fathoms or Trappers -  yep I am posting it here.  Not in the current mentions or trademarks but maybe need a change of course.  I am a big fan of the Fathoms ties nautically plus to the “Seattle Underground” 

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

On 1/16/2019 at 4:09 PM, sparky chewbarky said:

sYta6sb.jpg

Enjoy!...

think I enjoy your totems/sockeyes scheme the best. if sockeyes is indeed the name chosen, as reports appear to have it as the front runner. I'd love it if they used a model similar to those as their logo/uniforms. I also certainly hope they add a shade of green/dark teal to the rumoured red/black colour scheme. I dig that ochre red too.

Archived