Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

God, Kraken is such a terrible name, I feel like the fascination with this name is a practical joke that everyone is conspiring to play on me, just me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

“Facts”?

...with a mythological beastie?

I mean yeah. That it’s originally a northern Atlantic myth that’s more like a giant whale than octopus is a fact 🤷‍♂️

And whatever your response is to that? I’m sure I addressed it in the wall of text I posted above. 

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

God, Kraken is such a terrible name, I feel like the fascination with this name is a practical joke that everyone is conspiring to play on me, just me.

To your earlier point you edited away...Halifax Highlanders don’t make much sense either. Fact is Nova Scotia is no more Scottish in ethnic makeup compared to the rest of the Canadian Maritimes. 

It’s just that the province decided to play up the Scottish heritage thing as a way to draw in tourists in the mid 20th century. 

Well, I mean, it would be fine if Halifax itself were not on the water, or if it didn't sound like what a person from Montreal calls the Islanders, but boobs can cover a multitude of sins.

I figured Nova Scotia was, if not necessarily more Scottish, at least more Celtic than the rest of Canada.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I figured Nova Scotia was, if not necessarily more Scottish, at least more Celtic than the rest of Canada.

The Maritimes are certainly more Celtic than the rest of Canada. It’s just that NS is no more Scottish than any of the others :P 

That being said the flag/coat of arms is a great take on the concept. So props to that. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes that’s true. And I’m not suggesting that we burn every copy of Clash of the Titans.

I do think, however, that older stories, the roots of these things still relevant in our culture today, are important and worth preserving. 

Isn’t the real reason that you simply find @sparky chewbarky irritating and want to dislike anything he suggests as a viable name? If that’s the case, I’m in!

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Isn’t the real reason that you simply find @sparky chewbarky irritating and want to dislike anything he suggests as a viable name? If that’s the case, I’m in!

You weren’t supposed to say it out loud! :P 

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

You weren’t supposed to say it out loud! :P 

Yeah, he’s got plenty of good designs in him (e.g., Seattle Metropolitans and Sea Lions), but most of his stuff comes off as over-designed garbage (that people in the concept board are happy to fellate him over) that looks terrible when shrunken down/rendered in monochrome. That and I’m not keen on his personality.

He did have the good sense to take down his “Aces” belt buckle image with the sultry boobies of a stock image woman. That’s just shameless and he should have been suspended for it.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s interesting you bring up the Vikings. Their logo was made during a time when horned-helmeted vikings were still the default image of vikings in the popular consciousness. I’m not saying this makes their logo or helmet design bad. Logos and uniforms are the product of their time and the Vikings’ identity in its own context and history works as a sports brand. 

So what you’re saying is that since a giant squid monster is the default image of kraken and since the story is not known as a whole to being from any one location to the public as a whole the name and imagery does fit for a team from Seattle.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

So what you’re saying is that since a giant squid monster is the default image of kraken and since the story is not known as a whole to being from any one location to the public as a whole the name and imagery does fit for a team from Seattle.

No, not at all. Better luck next time though. 

Regardless if the name or imagery is fitting for a Seattle team, I think most people would say it's not a great name due to it not being plural.  

I haven't seen too many different options outside of the discussed. Where's the braintrusts at?

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:43 AM, BrianLion said:

Why is "Kraken" even a thing for Seattle? It's a mythical sea creature allegedly from the North Atlantic. It'd be like naming a team from Florida the "Sasquatch"  

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this, but Jerry Bruckheimer is part of the NHL Seattle ownership. Considering he's the producer of the "Pirates" movies, "Kraken" makes sense in the same way "Golden Knights" does for Bill Foley.

While I don't think "Kraken" is the worst name ever, I hope they go with Sockeye, work with the league to take back Metro(politan)s, or figure out something else. I really like the shade of red they're using on the new site and think it would work very well with "Sockeye" as the name.

For reference:

NHL SEATTLE

STL CARDINALS

#FF0000 RED

On 5/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Could be a Winnipeg Jets 2.0 situation where the owners desperately wanted to be the Manitoba Moose until the fanbase forced them to be the Jets by sheer force of will. 

Weren't they batting around Polar Bears and Falcons as names too?

17 hours ago, Bradbury said:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this, but Jerry Bruckheimer is part of the NHL Seattle ownership. Considering he's the producer of the "Pirates" movies, "Kraken" makes sense in the same way "Golden Knights" does for Bill Foley.

While I don't think "Kraken" is the worst name ever, I hope they go with Sockeye, work with the league to take back Metro(politan)s, or figure out something else. I really like the shade of red they're using on the new site and think it would work very well with "Sockeye" as the name.

For reference:

NHL SEATTLE

STL CARDINALS

#FF0000 RED

Bettman doesn't like the name Metros because there already is a division with the same name.  I like Sockeyes as well and with Minnesota going back to green at home, Seattle could go with a red primary and green and use those colours as a tribute to the Metros instead of adopting its awful name.

If Seattle really wants the Metropolitans name, denying it because of a dumb division name with a whole six years of history behind it would be so OITGDNHL.

Red and black is so disappointing. Even if the Blackhawks, Devils, Senators, Hurricanes, Flames, and Coyotes (if you want to get persnicketty their red is darker) weren't already using that color scheme in the NHL, it just doesn't feel right for pro sports in Seattle. 

I want to be a fan of the Seattle Hockey Pucks because I lived there, but if the identity's not good then it'll be harder to get on board. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sockeyes has always been my favorite. It’s a cool name and a cool fish. It’s local, unique, alliterative, and just lends itself to some awesome imagery and color schemes. I think double red with that bright red they seem to be using, paired with a dark cherry or burgundy and double green palette could work really well. It like it in my head anyway...

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

If Seattle really wants the Metropolitans name, denying it because of a dumb division name with a whole six years of history behind it would be so OITGDNHL.

"They can't be the Metros because that's the name of one of our divisions!"

The Washington Nationals are not impressed.

bYhYmxh.png

Archived