Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

9 hours ago, Mingjai said:

They could use the salmon color that South Korean soccer has used in the past to distinguish themselves from all the other red squads.

spacer.png

Thats kinda what I was thinking...not pink but not red but I couldnt find the right shade.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Red is so over used and overrated, also no to the blue and green. If they weren’t so close geographically to Vancouver they could get away with it. But they’re not.so no.

I don't understand why so many people seem to think they can't use some form of blue & green because of the Canucks. Obviously we wouldn't want them using royal blue as the primary & kelly green as the secondary, but switching up the shades/colour hierarchy can make all the difference.

No one seems to confuse the Sabres & Preds, the Islanders & Oilers, or the Rangers & Capitals.

Something like the Plymouth Whalers' old alternate look would be fill the green & blue quota while still being distinct enough from Vancouver.

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't understand why so many people seem to think they can't use some form of blue & green because of the Canucks. Obviously we wouldn't want them using royal blue as the primary & kelly green as the secondary, but switching up the shades/colour hierarchy can make all the difference.

No one seems to confuse the Sabres & Preds, the Islanders & Oilers, or the Rangers & Capitals.

Something like the Plymouth Whalers' old alternate look would be fill the green & blue quota while still being distinct enough from Vancouver.

spacer.png

Seeing this reminds me of the Thunderbirds old green uniforms. Which makes me wish the Seattle team could just adopt one of the local WHL team's identities. Seattle Thunderbirds or even Silvertips logos, colors, uniforms would look great in the NHL. I understand why this won't happen, but I wish the NHL organization could pay off the WHL team to adopt their identity. 

spacer.png

This jersey with an overhaul to the striping would be a great choice. 

3 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

The Plymouth Whaler alternate would make a beautiful Johnny Canuck uniform. 

I would go with the Thunderbirds'/Hartford Whalers' original all-green uniform template.

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

It's not that the teams will have similar colours, but the fact that Vancouver/Seattle will be rivals.  That's the issue.  It would have been if the Senators decided to go with a blue uniform when they entered the league.  There are enough colours to choose from that Seattle doesn't need to go with blue and green.  

18 minutes ago, M4One said:

It's not that the teams will have similar colours, but the fact that Vancouver/Seattle will be rivals.  That's the issue.  It would have been if the Senators decided to go with a blue uniform when they entered the league.  There are enough colours to choose from that Seattle doesn't need to go with blue and green.  

The Cubs & Cardinals have one of the oldest rivalries in baseball, and they share a blue & red colour scheme. No one seems to mind since the Cards are a primarily red team with navy blue trim, while the Cubs are a royal blue team with red trim.

I understand the idea behind not wanting to look like the Canucks (I personally would prefer a two-tone green look), but I'm just saying there are ways to do blue & green while still creating a distinct scheme.

Exactly.  Obviously a carbon copy of Vancouver should be avoided, but they don't have to completely abandon that color spectrum. 

Knowing Vancouver they'll probably switch back to yellow, red and black in the next 10 years anyways. They haven't been a model of brand stability.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Just now, lilgump said:

Exactly.  Obviously a carbon copy of Vancouver should be avoided, but they don't have to completely abandon that color spectrum. 

Knowing Vancouver they'll probably switch back to yellow, red and black in the next 10 years anyways. They haven't been a model of brand stability.

Or black, blue, and red

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

I just think there are too many teams in that region with that same color scheme. Different shades or not it’s still green and blue.

6 hours ago, lilgump said:

Why? They've worn blue and green for the majority of their existence and have made no indication of changing their colours after finally getting the right ones back. Its about as likely as Buffalo going back to black and red or Washington to blue and bronze.

Also considering the teams are already nipping at each other it really doesn't make sense for them to share a colour scheme. Even if they don't technically share the exact same pantone values. Oilers and Islanders are a continent apart. This is more akin to Houston getting a team and rocking black and green.

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL franchise adopting Mariners' colors. Sharks own teal, but a Navy primary with teal/aqua secondary would be unique to the league while still exemplifying the Seattle look. 

17 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Cubs & Cardinals have one of the oldest rivalries in baseball, and they share a blue & red colour scheme. No one seems to mind since the Cards are a primarily red team with navy blue trim, while the Cubs are a royal blue team with red trim.

I understand the idea behind not wanting to look like the Canucks (I personally would prefer a two-tone green look), but I'm just saying there are ways to do blue & green while still creating a distinct scheme.

Same with the Rangers, Islanders and Capitals. Both NY teams have worn royal blue for most of their existence together as the Rangers wear red as a secondary plus their pants, while the Islanders wear orange as a secondary. The Capitals, excluding their black and bronze years, have worn red with royal blue from '74-'95 and now wear red with navy. No issues whatsoever. The classic Battle of Quebec featured the Canadiens wearing red with royal blue pants and helmets while the Nordiques wore powder blue with red. Again, no issues.

30 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL franchise adopting Mariners' colors. Sharks own teal, but a Navy primary with teal/aqua secondary would be unique to the league while still exemplifying the Seattle look. 

That would be a sharp look but Seattle can also do what Hartford should have done in '92...that's make teal the secondary colour while going with a forest/Hunter green as a primary. It's very distinctive from the Canucks and all the other Seattle teams, including the future Sonics 2.0.

49 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

If the team name were the Breakers, I would favour that look.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:42 AM, gosioux76 said:

Boy do I have a uniform for you....

spacer.png

A new team is not going to choose the exact same color scheme of a rival that is less than 2 hours away. It makes no sense from a branding perspective and they have said as much. Not happening.

They could go with green and a colour other than blue but I think teal - ala the Mariners - would be so much better. Teal would look so good paired with red or with black as the main colour. It ticks off all the boxes. It would be a unique scheme. It has a PNW feel and it would work pretty well with a Metropolitans throwback. What's not to like?

On 5/17/2019 at 7:31 AM, VancouverFan69 said:

Same with the Rangers, Islanders and Capitals. Both NY teams have worn royal blue for most of their existence together as the Rangers wear red as a secondary plus their pants, while the Islanders wear orange as a secondary. The Capitals, excluding their black and bronze years, have worn red with royal blue from '74-'95 and now wear red with navy. No issues whatsoever. The classic Battle of Quebec featured the Canadiens wearing red with royal blue pants and helmets while the Nordiques wore powder blue with red. Again, no issues.

That would be a sharp look but Seattle can also do what Hartford should have done in '92...that's make teal the secondary colour while going with a forest/Hunter green as a primary. It's very distinctive from the Canucks and all the other Seattle teams, including the future Sonics 2.0.

Red blue and white is the most common color scheme for sports teams. No team owns it and no one would suggest otherwise. The same is not true for blue green and white. This is basically the most uncommon scheme in sports. When the Canucks went back to BGW the first thing NHL fans said was that Hartford owned it. Its a moot point regardless. Seattle is not wearing Canuck colors.

1 hour ago, uniformity said:

They could go with green and a colour other than blue but I think teal - ala the Mariners - would be so much better. Teal would look so good paired with red or with black as the main colour. It ticks off all the boxes. It would be a unique scheme. It has a PNW feel and it would work pretty well with a Metropolitans throwback. What's not to like?

Then you start matching the neighbor to the south.  If they go teal, it should be bright and more to the blue side like the Charlotte Hornets.  More turquoise than teal.

I'm down with the gun metal Seahawks colors too.  Add a little sheen to it.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Archived