Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Then you start matching the neighbor to the south.  If they go teal, it should be bright and more to the blue side like the Charlotte Hornets.  More turquoise than teal.

I'm down with the gun metal Seahawks colors too.  Add a little sheen to it.

It's ridiculous to suggest that San Jose is the only team that can use teal in any NHL colour scheme. It would be like the Leafs saying no team can use blue.

Teal with a secondary colour such as red or even navy would not be confused with the Sharks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teal with with light navy or dark royal would be a good look for Seattle too.

Related image

Related image

Related image

Seattle should pick colors that fit with their brand and city, and not based on what their rivals have. That would be huge loss right out the gate. Obviously it's not ideal to pick the exact same colors, but different options are clearly there. Look at the Yankees and Red Sox. Or the Braves, Nats, and Phillies. Differences in shade, or color balance, is enough. 

36 minutes ago, uniformity said:

It's ridiculous to suggest that San Jose is the only team that can use teal in any NHL colour scheme. It would be like the Leafs saying no team can use blue.

Teal with a secondary colour such as red or even navy would not be confused with the Sharks.

I agree. Look at this wonderful matchup between the Rangers and Penguins.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, uniformity said:

A new team is not going to choose the exact same color scheme of a rival that is less than 2 hours away. It makes no sense from a branding perspective and they have said as much. Not happening.

Literally nobody is saying they should use the "exact same color scheme" as the Canucks. Navy blue (like the Seahawks and Mariners) and bright green (like the Seahawks and Sounders) maybe paired with a gold to separate themselves from the other Seattle teams, would look different enough to set themselves apart from Vancouver. Come up with a template different from the Cancuks', pair it with a set of striking logos, and there won't be any brand confusion. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 5/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, uniformity said:

Red blue and white is the most common color scheme for sports teams. No team owns it and no one would suggest otherwise. The same is not true for blue green and white. This is basically the most uncommon scheme in sports. When the Canucks went back to BGW the first thing NHL fans said was that Hartford owned it. Its a moot point regardless. Seattle is not wearing Canuck colors.

Not in the Pacific Northwest, it isn’t.

The Mariners, Sounders FC, Portland Pickles baseball, the Canucks, Seattle Seawolves rugby, and Seattle Thunderbirds all use some variation on blue, green, and white. The Eugene Emeralds did as well, until recently.  

Add to that the Whitecaps using blue and white and the Timbers using green and white, and you’ve got an amazingly common palette of sporting colors in the region.  No one team can possibly own it. 

12 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Reminds me of the Leafs-Senators matchup:

spacer.png

I'll give you the Toronto-Tampa comparison, but I don't think anyone has ever confused Florida for Ottawa. The updated Panthers home jerseys are essentially just red, white, & gold, so they'd be more comparable to the Flames throwbacks than the Sens. New Jersey or Chicago would be closer to Ottawa than the Panthers.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'll give you the Toronto-Tampa comparison, but I don't think anyone has ever confused Florida for Ottawa. The updated Panthers home jerseys are essentially just red, white, & gold, so they'd be more comparable to the Flames throwbacks than the Sens. New Jersey or Chicago would be closer to Ottawa than the Panthers.

I get it, I was a little off point on the same team colors. Up close, of course no one is going to mix up the Sens and the Panthers, but watching it on TV, it's easy for the navy to look like black against the white ice. Since the two teams uniforms are similar from a distance--red jersey, white sleeve element, black-looking pants--it would be easy for a casual fan to look at Lightning-Panthers and think they were watching Leafs-Sens, which is why I chose a screen cap instead of photo from the game.

TOR-OTT_zpsqpvhpti3.jpg

spacer.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

21 hours ago, Mingjai said:

I get it, I was a little off point on the same team colors. Up close, of course no one is going to mix up the Sens and the Panthers, but watching it on TV, it's easy for the navy to look like black against the white ice. Since the two teams uniforms are similar from a distance--red jersey, white sleeve element, black-looking pants--it would be easy for a casual fan to look at Lightning-Panthers and think they were watching Leafs-Sens, which is why I chose a screen cap instead of photo from the game.

TOR-OTT_zpsqpvhpti3.jpg

spacer.png

I've got a foolproof strategy to quickly tell the difference between Ottawa and Florida. Is the stadium 4/5 empty? Probably Florida.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Or they just wait for the Canucks to do their traditional 10-15 re-branding, which they'll inevitably go with some random scheme, leaving blue-green for the taking. 

The Canucks will never ever ditch their blue and green look again. I eventually see them returning to the classic Stick in Rink full-time with Johnny Canuck added to the shoulders down the road.

Seattle could always use green with some variation of teal or light blue.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, uniformity said:

The Hartford Whalers could have had a hot-selling uniform if they went with Hunter green as a primary colour and teal as a secondary. Uniform matchups with the Sharks in their beautiful originals would have looked awesome.

5 hours ago, Lafarge said:

I've got a foolproof strategy to quickly tell the difference between Ottawa and Florida. Is the stadium 4/5 empty? Probably Florida.

How many fans in that first picture are Leaf fans, though?  The Senators weren't exactly a huge draw this year and only averaged 1300 more fans per game.

1 hour ago, M4One said:

How many fans in that first picture are Leaf fans, though?  The Senators weren't exactly a huge draw this year and only averaged 1300 more fans per game.

uuuuuuuuuuugghhhh... it was a joooooooooooke

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

58 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

uuuuuuuuuuugghhhh... it was a joooooooooooke

Yeah, I know it was a joke.  I'm not a Panthers fan, just so you know, but if we're gonna make fun of the Panthers for lack of fans, then make fun of the Sens for nobody showing up, too.

Archived