Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

Just now, andrewharrington said:

Well, sure. On the one hand it’s how the species moves forward, but on the other, a salmon that color is also indicating, “Whatever happens, this is the end for me, bros. See you on the other side.”

Similarly, I think fans are much more likely to consider and place importance on their mascot’s place on the food chain/how they typically perish over their procreation ritual.

It’s a unique color in the NHL and works well with that light sea foam  green and black. Who cares how it ties to the biology? Most people probably don’t even know about salmon’s coloration during its lifespan.

Also, place on the food chain? We have ducks and sharks in the same division. I don’t know about you, but I doubt a duck would fare well against a shark.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Survival79 said:
  • 1995-96 through 2000-01 Seattle Supersonics Forest Green
  • 1992-93 through 1996-97 Vancouver Canucks Pacific Salmon Red
  • 2012 through Present New York Liberty Seafoam Green

spacer.png

Wow, now I'm going to be disappointed if they end up going with anything other than this.

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It’s a unique color in the NHL and works well with that light sea foam  green and black. Who cares how it ties to the biology? Most people probably don’t even know about salmon’s coloration during its lifespan.

Also, place on the food chain? We have ducks and sharks in the same division. I don’t know about you, but I doubt a duck would fare well against a shark.

All I’m saying is that people care about it. I’m not one of those people, but they’re out there, especially in an intellectual and cultural hub like Seattle. 30 years ago? It probably didn’t matter so much because sports identity back then was less thinking/more doing, for better or worse. As designers have started incorporating deeper research, embedding thematic symbolism, and the like (again, for better or worse), the target audience has started to shift and care a lot more as well.

Also, I guarantee you most people in Seattle know everything there is to know about salmon. That’s like saying Minnesotans don’t know their walleye.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, Ark said:

Why force the green in there?

The salmon and seafoam is unique enough.

Gotta have a dark color in there as an accent to break them up. Those 2 colors together are too light. The dark color can be simply used as an "outline/trim" color, but one is needed.

10 minutes ago, McCall said:

Gotta have a dark color in there as an accent to break them up. Those 2 colors together are too light. The dark color can be simply used as an "outline/trim" color, but one is needed.

Na there’s enough of a contrast imo. If need be i’d go with black or charcoal instead of the hunter green. Just my two cents.

45 minutes ago, Survival79 said:
  • 2001-02 through 2007-08 Seattle Supersonics Hunter Green
  • 2012 through Present New York Liberty Seafoam Green

spacer.png

This would be great for a team called the Sockeyes.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Well, sure. On the one hand it’s how the species moves forward, but on the other, a salmon that color is also indicating, “Whatever happens, this is the end for me, bros. See you on the other side.”

I think a good spin person though could turn that into something like "We play every year like it's our last, we leave it all on the ice"...

And rather than one single salmon, it's the species that fights insurmountable odds year after year to do the impossible. 

But, I don't have any issues with the fish mascot anyway. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I don’t know about you, but I doubt a duck would fare well against a shark.

Well technically these particular ducks have a winning records against those sharks so...😜

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

8 hours ago, Survival79 said:
  • 1995-96 through 2000-01 Seattle Supersonics Forest Green
  • 2012 through Present New York Liberty Seafoam Green

spacer.png

Yeah this works for me, I actually like the darker almost black green.  I like colors that look like one thing at first glance but then you stare a bit longer and see “wait - that’s not actually black”.  And I think black works good too but the dark forest green may have a bit more personality.

Like others though, now that I’ve seen this creative and unique color combo - I feel like they can only let us down with the actual choices!

And fully on board with Sockeyes as the name too - I know Nucks and Sharks fans will come up with all kinds of not that clever jokes about sushi and such but Seattle Sockeyes sounds great and everything about the identity has a chance to be really, really cool and unique.

4 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I think a good spin person though could turn that into something like "We play every year like it's our last, we leave it all on the ice"...

And rather than one single salmon, it's the species that fights insurmountable odds year after year to do the impossible. 

But, I don't have any issues with the fish mascot anyway. 

Exactly. I suppose that’s really the point I’m trying to make: if you put something polarizing out there, you have to be prepared to make sense of it for people who might not get it or like it; put a positive spin on the perceived “negatives” if you will. It’s especially important in this day and age because finding an idea everyone likes is almost impossible.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't see what's wrong with Kraken(s). Helluva marketing opportunity there but I guess it's not the consensus. I believe a Portland arena team tried years ago to name themselves something like Stomp or Sasquatch and didn't turn out so well. 

8 hours ago, Tyrano123 said:

I don't see what's wrong with Kraken(s). Helluva marketing opportunity there but I guess it's not the consensus. I believe a Portland arena team tried years ago to name themselves something like Stomp or Sasquatch and didn't turn out so well. 

My issue with Kraken is I don't think it will age well. It's in the same category, for me, as the Raptors, a novelty name popular at the time, but not seems like a relic of its era. Kraken doesn't necessarily have the immediate pop culture tie-in that Raptors did with Jurassic Park or the Might Ducks had with its namesake movie, but it still seems like a something that's suddenly emerged in the public consciousness that's more likely to fade. 

By contrast, I hated the idea of Sockeyes as a name. It just feels clumsy. For one, I can't seem to find any solid answers on whether the word "sockeye" is both plural and singular, like deer. If it is, would the team just be "Seattle Sockeye"? If so, it's an inelegant name for the awkwardness.

That said, I've warmed up to the idea after seeing Survival79's proposed color palette of forest green, salmon red and seafoam green. That color combo really works and fits the name perfectly. I'd get on board with that. 

On 6/5/2019 at 4:58 PM, Ice_Cap said:

SzjC5vh.png

Make it happen, Seattle. Salmon and seafoam is a great throwback to the Metros' colour scheme without being the Metros' colour scheme or stepping on the Wild's toes.

If the color on the right is supposed to be seafoam green then I'm color blind.

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

My issue with Kraken is I don't think it will age well. It's in the same category, for me, as the Raptors, a novelty name popular at the time, but not seems like a relic of its era. Kraken doesn't necessarily have the immediate pop culture tie-in that Raptors did with Jurassic Park or the Might Ducks had with its namesake movie, but it still seems like a something that's suddenly emerged in the public consciousness that's more likely to fade. 

By contrast, I hated the idea of Sockeyes as a name. It just feels clumsy. For one, I can't seem to find any solid answers on whether the word "sockeye" is both plural and singular, like deer. If it is, would the team just be "Seattle Sockeye"? If so, it's an inelegant name for the awkwardness.

That said, I've warmed up to the idea after seeing Survival79's proposed color palette of forest green, salmon red and seafoam green. That color combo really works and fits the name perfectly. I'd get on board with that. 

Both sockeye and sockeyes are accepted plural forms for sockeye, one is uncountable and the other countable. For instance if you were to encounter a school of them swimming by, you might say "I saw a school of sockeye today." If you, over the course of a day, saw 3 separate single ones swimming by, you could phrase it as "I saw 3 sockeyes today."

Oddly enough, deer is indeed an accepted plural form of deer, but deers is also acceptable, although very uncommon in it's use.

43 minutes ago, aild87 said:

Both sockeye and sockeyes are accepted plural forms for sockeye, one is uncountable and the other countable. For instance if you were to encounter a school of them swimming by, you might say "I saw a school of sockeye today." If you, over the course of a day, saw 3 separate single ones swimming by, you could phrase it as "I saw 3 sockeyes today."

Oddly enough, deer is indeed an accepted plural form of deer, but deers is also acceptable, although very uncommon in it's use.

The fact that this is even something we have to think about makes this branding a challenge. Not insurmountable, but awkward.

Or maybe it's just me. I wouldn't argue that. 

Archived