Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

9 minutes ago, GMW79 said:

Well aware of that. It was meant to be humorous.

An interesting point, but abbreviations aren't more important that a city's actual name, IMO. And nobody seems to have any issues with NYR and NYI...

To be fair, though, do you hear it called "Vegas" or "Las Vegas" more often? 😛

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Ah to be faaaii-uh, not sure, actually. (Although, I do watch plenty of NHL games and news, so I guess I hear "Vegas" more often. 😉 )

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

10 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

6 minutes ago, GMW79 said:

Ah to be faaaii-uh, not sure, actually. (Although, I do watch plenty of NHL games and news, so I guess I hear "Vegas" more often. 😉 )

“What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas” just doesn’t have the same ring to it… 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

20 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

What people call it is not relevant to what it is. I almost never hear people say "Philadelphia", yet no team actually calls themselves "Philly". 

CK3ZP8E.jpg

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Las Vegas Knights would have been fine, but legal issues obviously prevented that from being an option, and Las Vegas Golden Knights is too much of a mouthfull.

Then it’s a bad name and they shouldn’t have chosen it. 

I think people have naturally dropped using the 'Golden' prefix

Then it’s a bad name and they shouldn’t have chosen it. 

21 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Those are some pretty ridiculous comparisons to make. Aside from Jersey, not a single one of the examples you gave is an actual shorthand people use to refer to those places. Las Vegas Knights would have been fine, but legal issues obviously prevented that from being an option, and Las Vegas Golden Knights is too much of a mouthfull.

Hasn't it come out that the whole London Knights name conflict was just a story?  I remember reading that London was never even contacted by Vegas to find out what it would take.  It was just a story because they didn't actually want to use Las Vegas Knights and they wanted to shut down the whole idea from gaining strength.  I think Bill Foley always maintained that if it was going to be Knights it was going to be [something] Knights whether Black, Silver, Golden, or Desert.

• 4 weeks later...

Hall of Famer Ron Francis to be hired as general manager of Seattle's new NHL team

Francis will have full say on his Seattle front-office assistants and coaches, as well as input into the team's decision on a name — expected to come by year's end. 

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I listened to an interview on 590 Toronto with Geoff Baker on Wednesday.  They were talking about NHL Seattle and he said that Totems, Metropolitans and Kraken are definitely out of the running for new team name.  He said that it is looking like it is going to be something more fish based.  He said it might be a possibility that the minor league affiliate could be named the Kraken and about the Totems they want to stay as far away possible from anything native american to not end up like the existing franchises that have native monikers.   

Not sure if it is in this audio about the name since I heard it live. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/reach-deep/geoff-baker-seattle-wanted-someone-gravitas/

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Totems and Kraken are out of the race? That’s fantastic.

Kraken would be a great name... for a minor-league team. It's just not appropriate for an NHL franchise.

I'm glad Totems is out. And that's all the board rules allow me to say.

Seems likely that Seattle Sockeyes and Seattle Steelheads are both in the running.

It should be noted that no one has filed for a trademark for those names in relation to a hockey team as of yet.

There is the romance novelist who has a trademark on Seattle Sockeyes for romance fiction print books and e-books.  She also filed for a trademark on Seattle Steelheads for the same function back in January.  So far, that trademark hasn't been registered.

There were abandoned applications for Seattle Steelheads related to hockey.  These were by the former (?) Microsoft attorney who appeared to want to squat on the trademark.

Archived