Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

On 8/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, spartacat_12 said:

So Leiweke has revealed that the name will be announced in the first quarter of next year.

https://www.nhl.com/news/naming-nhl-seattle/c-308594950?tid=304993632

Which makes an ASG announcement a 90% certainty, I'd say.

34 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Do you know something or this just a feeling?  Seems a little too early to be awarding Seattle an all-star game right off the bat.  Of course, it all depends on whether the team/city wants to bid for the all-star game, but I would say that Vegas would be up for the game before Seattle.  Hosting the draft first might be more appropriate for Seattle.

8 minutes ago, M4One said:

Do you know something or this just a feeling?  Seems a little too early to be awarding Seattle an all-star game right off the bat.  Of course, it all depends on whether the team/city wants to bid for the all-star game, but I would say that Vegas would be up for the game before Seattle.  Hosting the draft first might be more appropriate for Seattle.

He meant the team name will be announced around the time of the 2020 ASG, not that Seattle would be awarded one.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:31 AM, Survival79 said:

If it's not the Seattle Cranes I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

Seattle still the crane capital of the US

spacer.png

Mercy.

They'd have to serve tossed salad & scrambled eggs at all the concessions booths.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

He meant the team name will be announced around the time of the 2020 ASG, not that Seattle would be awarded one.

That would make a whole lot more sense than what I was thinking.

On July 22, 2019 at 4:06 PM, M4One said:

It took me a moment, but I got it.

No talking during the anthem.

17 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Correct.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

On 8/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, AstroBull21 said:

200.webp?cid=790b76111becbc3455a0e080a3c

So the team has officially narrowed it down to 5 names:

16 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Of all the pointless gimmicks...Who is going to care about a list that will have been irrelevant for 42 years, and is likely going to be leaked in the next month, anyways?

37 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Of all the pointless gimmicks...Who is going to care about a list that will have been irrelevant for 42 years, and is likely going to be leaked in the next month, anyways?

Ohhh I think it's kinda fun.  And it's not like NHL Seattle organized this whole thing for their own gimmick.  A bunch of local groups were asked to contribute to this Space Needle time capsule, and this was what NHL Seattle contributed.  Even if it's not a huge revelation come 2062, it's still another little way to continue building awareness and momentum right now around the future team.  Especially since the most prevalent buzz around town at this point is still, "What are they going to be called?!?"

17 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

After reading the comments on that tweet, I can't believe how many people want Kraken as the name. That may be the worst name of all.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

After reading the comments on that tweet, I can't believe how many people want Kraken as the name. That may be the worst name of all.

I've always despised the Kraken name; people talk mad crap about Sockeyes, but nothing screams "beer league tryhard cool name" of the proposed candidates harder than a team named the "Seattle Kraken". It's almost roller hockey-esque.

It's the Bitch Pigeons of the actual listed names; a meme that's spiraled out of control and looped from being funny right into being annoying. Though at least Kraken isn't a meme copied from NFL fans.

7 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I've always despised the Kraken name; people talk mad crap about Sockeyes, but nothing screams "beer league tryhard cool name" of the proposed candidates harder than a team named the "Seattle Kraken". It's almost roller hockey-esque.

It's the Bitch Pigeons of the actual listed names; a meme that's spiraled out of control and looped from being funny right into being annoying. Though at least Kraken isn't a meme copied from NFL fans.

As a Rainy City Bitch Pigeons fan, that just makes me laugh now. 

As for the NHL team, going with Kraken is a terrible idea. It reeks of minor league. I personally think it will be Sockeyes but i'm betting on me being wrong about that too. 

1 minute ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Somehow I'm just hearing of the Bitch Pigeons. 😄

Bitch Pigeons is a meme that people nicked from the NFL fandom. There, it's used to mock whiny Seahawks fans.

Here, it's essentially become the Boaty McBoatface of Seattle names.