Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

11 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Even still, the issue stands; what is the Metropolitan division often shortened to? The Metro Division. It'd be too confusing to have a division named the Metro and a team named the Metros.

The Metropolitan Division is a dumb name that was born out of a dumb realignment plan. It's not a natural geographic name (Atlantic would fit better), nor is it a name with a lot of NHL history behind it. 

So of course the NHL gave preference to the division name over the potential Seattle name with the most history because welcome to the NHL. We do dumb. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Even still, the issue stands; what is the Metropolitan division often shortened to? The Metro Division. It'd be too confusing to have a division named the Metro and a team named the Metros.

Any chance the Metro divison gets renamed?  Coastal Division? (No more or less stupid than Metropolitan)

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

10 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Any chance the Metro divison gets renamed?  Coastal Division? (No more or less stupid than Metropolitan)

They should have called the Metropolitan the Atlantic and the Atlantic the Northeast. 

Of course they couldn't do that because they had to stick Tampa and Florida in the should-have-been-Northeast for totally natural and not at all contrived reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They should have called the Metropolitan the Atlantic and the Atlantic the Northeast. 

Of course they couldn't do that because they had to stick Tampa and Florida in the should-have-been-Northeast for totally natural and not at all contrived reasons. 

Heck swap Tampa and Florida for Columbus and Carolina and call it a day.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

20 minutes ago, charger77 said:

Heck swap Tampa and Florida for Columbus and Carolina and call it a day.

Make it Pittsburgh instead. Then you have a true Northeast (Atlantic) and true Atlantic (Metro) division.

NORTHEAST: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

ATLANTIC:  Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

3 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

They’re not going to be removing Pittsburgh from those division rivalries 

spacer.png

So we're gonna make nonsensical alignment just to perserve rivalries that havent been around for thar long. Wasnt Pittsburgh in the Northeast, historically?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

18 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Just to be clear, as popular choices for nicknames for a Seattle NHL team go, I think that Sockeyes is, at worst, a lesser evil than Kraken.  However, I regard Emeralds, Metropolitans, Pilots, and maybe even Evergreens as better choices than either Sockeyes or Kraken.  Furthermore, the only genuinely plausible justification that I can see for the team being named the Seattle Kraken is a desire for an association with a menacing creature (even if it is fictional) for the sake of (for lack of a more accurate term) challenging the Canucks' C-shsped orca emblem and the name and logo of the Sharks.

With that said, I wonder about the extent to which the people in charge of the Seattle NHL franchise are considering any not-so-obvious inspiration for the team's nickname.  For example, have bones or fossils of any predatory animal from the Ice Age ever been found in the ground underneath Seattle?  The Nashville Predators' primary logo was inspired a by a saber-toothed cat's skull that was excavated during the construction of a downtown Nashville skyscraper in the 1970s.  So, while Nashville has cornered the saber-toothed cat motif in the NHL, have the remains of, say, an American lion (Panthera atrox) ever been extracted from the ground in or near Seattle?  If the answer is "yes," then that could give a very different meaning to a "Seattle Sea Lions" identity. 😉

So, a little googling reveals that they found a giant sloth skeleton when building Sea-Tac.  Also various Mammoth's around the area apparently. 

22 minutes ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

Make it Pittsburgh instead. Then you have a true Northeast (Atlantic) and true Atlantic (Metro) division.

NORTHEAST: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

ATLANTIC:  Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

I assume that the NHL would want Pittsburgh in the same division with Washington and Philadelphia, thats why I went with Carolina over them. Geographically, Pittsburgh makes more sense. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

This is very true...

Except we have the Nationals from the National League East representing the National League in Baseball's biggest stage and no one seems to be too confused about that notion.

Not to mention the original Senators in Washington who also went by Nationals happened to play in the American League while the rival National League existed and there was even less access to information back then!

25 minutes ago, jus2damcrazey219 said:

So we're gonna make nonsensical alignment just to perserve rivalries that havent been around for thar long. Wasnt Pittsburgh in the Northeast, historically?

Historically, they were in the Patrick with WSH, NYR, NJD, NYI, PHI... so that alignment makes sense.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

1 hour ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I fail to see how humans in 2019 would be confused by this at all. "You mean, we're just playing the team from Seattle? Not a whole division?" 

Somehow the Washington Nationals can exist in the National League without anyone thinking they're playing the NL all-star team. 

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I fail to see how humans in 2019 would be confused by this at all. "You mean, we're just playing the team from Seattle? Not a whole division?" 

Somehow the Washington Nationals can exist in the National League without anyone thinking they're playing the NL all-star team. 

Furthermore -- National Car Rental is a sponsor at Nationals Park, home of the National League Champion Washington Nationals who play the national pastime in the nation's capital 

90758391980.gif

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Safe to assume their identity will include the salmon color that's been all over their twitter feed?

They use it on their sweater, so I would think so.

spacer.png

spacer.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

16 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Could be interesting.  Definitely would be unique, I'd give them that.  Also would feel very "Seattle" without necessarily having to use lime green or teal.  I would guess the name would be fish related too then.  Maybe Sockeyes like people have been saying.     

They could use teal or some kind of green as a secondary color to put a new spin on the old Metropolitans red and green color combo.

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Safe to assume their identity will include the salmon color that's been all over their twitter feed?

I looked over the site, and the largest percentage of fans preferred a "mythical creature" and "something that swims" which means all signs point towards Kraken. Maybe Seattle will be the kind of team where the name sucks but at least the colors are good, like the Wild.

the user formerly known as cdclt

12 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

I looked over the site, and the largest percentage of fans preferred a "mythical creature" and "something that swims" which means all signs point towards Kraken. Maybe Seattle will be the kind of team where the name sucks but at least the colors are good, like the Wild.

Fan votes don't always end up as the final name; as I recall, Nashville's fan vote winner was something like "Ice Tigers" or "Attack".

And didn't one of the owners already basically say "Kraken" was out of the running, anyways? I doubt much has changed since then and now. Plus, didn't they say they were going for a Native theme to their logo? The Natives of Washington didn't really have a kraken at all, that's a European invention.

That, and the color scheme really doesn't suit a "Kraken" identity at all; what ties do the colors have to do with kraken? If they were going "Kraken", you'd think they'd go for darker shades of red, like a burgundy or something, not bright salmon.

Archived