Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2019 at 11:48 AM, CS85 said:

Here's the problem with going "Sockeyes:"

1. Marketing jagoffs will do everything in their power to convince ownership NOT to use the name
  2. ...and that's it

They should hopefully look at the New Orleans Pelicans and Florida Marlins as ways to promote and brand unconventional but locally-accurate identities.

Are either of those teams actually doing a good job at this?  Last I looked, nobody cares about the Marlins, goes to their games, or buys their gear.  Not sure about the Pelicans, but I can't imagine they're tearing it up at the box office or merch department.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Last I looked, nobody cares about the Marlins, goes to their games, or buys their gear.

I mean, that's probably not due to the brand, but rather the on-field product. Nobody cares to go to Marlins games because the team itself is absolute trash and not worth watching, not because of the branding. 😛 

It's hard to justify dropping money to support a team that's absolutely terrible, especially in Florida where there's a million other things you could spend that on. Like drinks. 😛

3 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I mean, that's probably not due to the brand, but rather the on-field product. Nobody cares to go to Marlins games because the team itself is absolute trash and not worth watching, not because of the branding. 😛 

It's hard to justify dropping money to support a team that's absolutely terrible, especially in Florida where there's a million other things you could spend that on. Like drinks. 😛

Case in point: the Padres. Sure, they absolutely nailed it with the change to brown and gold but Petco Park will still be half-empty if the team doesn't produce. I'll still support them through thick and thin but not everyone will.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are either of those teams actually doing a good job at this?  Last I looked, nobody cares about the Marlins, goes to their games, or buys their gear.  Not sure about the Pelicans, but I can't imagine they're tearing it up at the box office or merch department.

The Pelicans were rescued by drafting what many have called a generational player...who promptly injured himself in the off-season and hasn't played this year yet. No one goes to Pelicans names now (season ticket sales notwithstanding) and it continues to be a dead market for the NBA.

In fact, I remember most people being pretty underwhelmed when they switched to the Pelicans name. None of that has to do with any love for the old Hornets nickname (which was never really embraced in New Orleans), but more a general ennui for NBA basketball in New Orleans. I don't think any nickname would energized that fanbase, short or a rebrand to Saints BC and Drew Brees playing point guard.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I just thought of the Seattle Jellyfish.  Colors would be navy and pink.

Because Seattle is so well known for their jellyfish, and there are sports teams just lining up to be named after a blob with stinging bits that just goes with the flow of the ocean.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Because Seattle is so well known for their jellyfish, and there are sports teams just lining up to be named after a blob with stinging bits that just goes with the flow of the ocean.

And, let's not forget that all you need to do to relieve the sting of said jellyfish is to simply pee on it.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, kimball said:

And, let's not forget that all you need to do to relieve the sting of said jellyfish is to simply pee on it.

Hmm. I can't forget what I didn't know.

Fairly certain I'll never forget it NOW 😂😂🤣🤣

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

Well known or not, they're there.

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/whats-with-all-the-jellyfish-in-puget-sound-waters

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

30 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Sockeyes makes way more sense if we're going marine animal, since at least they have historically held great importance to the region's Native populations. Jellyfish honestly sounds like someone wants Kraken but doesn't want the association with a junior club that Kraken has, so they choose a similar animal to kinda get it.

Besides, what's intimidating about a jellyfish? All it does is slowly putter around the ocean and occasionally eat. And it's generally not a great idea to open yourself up to mockery by literally having your brand be a soft-bodied creature in a physical and rough sport like hockey, either. 😛

Just because something is local doesn't mean it's always a good brand for a professional team.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Sockeyes makes way more sense if we're going marine animal, since at least they have historically held great importance to the region's Native populations. 

Wouldn’t this require permission from local tribes, though?  Hasn’t that become the standard these days?  If a certain type of “C” is objectionable for the Cleveland Indians, why would a new team in any sport want to open up a potential can of worms?

2 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Wouldn’t this require permission from local tribes, though?  Hasn’t that become the standard these days?  If a certain type of “C” is objectionable for the Cleveland Indians, why would a new team in any sport want to open up a potential can of worms?

The big difference here is that the Native populations aren't called "sockeye." That's a fish. 

More to the point, while Sockeye is an element of Native culture, it isn't solely associated with that culture. Because of that, it's value as a brand isn't derived directly from its Native associations much like Indians or Redskins or Fighting Sioux may be. It doesn't rely on those Native associations for its functionality as a brand. 

Every time I open this thread I'm hoping to see something more than speculation about Seattle's NHL name and it's getting maddening.

Is it just me, or does it seem like this is the longest expansion franchise rollout ever? (One notable exception: the Beckham Miami Experiment, which most of us probably felt was a fantasy that would never evolve into a brand.)

3 hours ago, mafiaman said:

They've already stated they've consulted Natives on the name and (iirc, so I may be wrong) have said already they're leaning for a Native art style for the team logo. That was a little while ago, admittedly, but if they're consulting said peoples on their team branding, it kind of can't be opening a can of worms.

Also, the Block C wasn't what people were objecting to with the Indians. It was always Chief Wahoo who was the center of controversy with the team, because he was a wide-eyed, wide-smiled, red-skinned Native caricature. But let's avoid saying much else before this thread is Clevelandjacked itself. 😛

• 2 weeks later...

Archived