Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

34 minutes ago, charger77 said:

We are getting the team name this weekend, right? Are we getting any logos/uniforms?

18 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

According to this article, we may know the name by next month but March is pretty likely...

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/

nhl-seattle-mailbag-when-will-we-get-a-team-name-what-to-expect-in-the-expansion-draft/

:Around the all-star break was always an estimate

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My preference order is as such;

• 1. Sockeyes (alliterative name, very tied to the Puget Sound region's history, a lot of marketing potential with puns and pushing the determination angle, fits the color schemes we've seen used in regards to the team thus far and I think it's a very classic-sounding name)
  • 2. Sea Lions (alliterative name, very tied to the Puget Sound region, could definitely make for a good logo set and I'd kill for them to use kelly green as a primary color if they do chose this one. However, they're going to share a division with the Canucks and Sharks; two teams that have mascots that quite notably eat sea lions, so I dunno if it's very likely to be the final name)
  • 3. Cougars (a bit basic, but a solid option; might be similar to Florida logo-wise, but you could do a lot with color to make them stand apart from the Panthers)
  • 4. Emeralds (double-green would be a neat color scheme, but not sure how much I like naming the team after a tiny immobile object when the main objective of hockey is to hit a tiny immobile object into a net)
  • 5. Rainiers (logos could easily end up looking pretty similar to Colorado, and the idea of naming the team after a massive immobile hunk of rock is honestly pretty unappealing to me)

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'd be surprised as hell if Cougars makes it. 

Washington already has the Pullman Cougars. 

It would be like a Spokane team going by Huskies. Never going to happen.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I'd be surprised as hell if Cougars makes it. 

Washington already has the Pullman Cougars. 

Similarly, I’d be surprised if Rainiers makes it given its strong (and still current) association with baseball in the region. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

51 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

Similarly, I’d be surprised if Rainiers makes it given its strong (and still current) association with baseball in the region. 

Actually, now that I think about it, they might avoid the name Emeralds for similar reasons; Washington fans typically aren't fond of Oregon-based sports teams, and there's an Emeralds MiLB team in Oregon. May be a good idea to avoid any association with any notable Oregon team in terms of naming.

First choice: Emeralds. A two-tone green team. Solid as a "rock". Ems in short sounds good.

Second choice: Rainiers. A solid sports team name with history.

Third choice: Sockeyes. "Rock'em, Sock'em" Sockeyes. Aboriginal art in the  crest as a nod to the PNW's Aboriginal people and the old WHL Totems would be a nice touch. 

No to Cougars. Florida has the Panthers as in the Florida panther, a cougar/mountain lion species.

Are there any sea lions on the Seattle coast?? 

My fave choices out of the names: 

1. Sockeyes - Fun to say, would be a unique take on a common colour scheme, and ties in to Seattle in numerous ways. 

2. Sea Lions - If they did this route, I'd want a Teal, Brown & Yellow colour scheme.... 

3. Emeralds - Two tone green is nice, and while the name feels bland, I think there could be some creative stuff to come out of it. 

4. Rainiers - I don't get the appeal. The name would be a :censored: to say, feels like it doesn't make sense, and I just can't think of any creative logos coming out of it. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived