Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The Seattle Times' NHL beat writer last week wrote that March remains the most likely timeline, "but possibly late February."

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-seattle-mailbag-when-will-we-get-a-team-name-what-to-expect-in-the-expansion-draft/

Sheesh. On the plus side we might actually get the Sonics back before we get a hockey team name. 

It will be a front runner like Sockeyes or Kraken or (ugh) Steelheads, but I like the idea of a more recognizable animal such as:

Seattle Seals

Seattle Orcas

Seattle Sea Lions

Seattle Polar Bears

With the last one, I have never got why the NHL has a Penguins but not Polar Bears. I guess the Bruins are Bears so it’s too close? And yes, there are no Polar Bears in Seattle, but there sure aren’t any Penguins native to Pittsburgh.

Also the name should be friendly to Alaskans... I want Seattle’s team to be their bandwagon team too

2 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

With the last one, I have never got why the NHL has a Penguins but not Polar Bears.

Winnipeg considered it before deciding that the best move was (clearly) to bring the Jets back.

4 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

With the last one, I have never got why the NHL has a Penguins but not Polar Bears. I guess the Bruins are Bears so it’s too close? And yes, there are no Polar Bears in Seattle, but there sure aren’t any Penguins native to Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Winnipeg considered it before deciding that the best move was (clearly) to bring the Jets back.

And White Bears was a finalist for Minnesota.

"Manitoba Polar Bears" would have been one wet fart of a reveal. Would have been a smash hit in the tiny town 625 miles northeast of Winnipeg, though.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, TenaciousG said:

The league already has the Bruins, as well as the Wild logo arguably being a bearhead. Not to mention there is something unbearably basic about naming a team 'Polar Bears'. "DUDE call them the POLAR BEARS because hockey is played on ICE! GET IT!?!?". Cold-themed nicknames because Hockey is played on ice that have absolutely no bearing on the actual location the team plays are among the worst in sports. Colorado Avalanche is fine because Denver is all about playing up the mountain schtick. Pittsburgh Penguins is pretty tongue in cheek and cute with the alliteration, and given the history of the team its pretty much vintage at this point. A Manitoba based team makes a little bit ofsense for Polar Bears because of Churchill, but anywhere else is pretty cringy.

Manitoba doesn't exist. I mean, the lines are there on the map, but Quebec is the only Canadian province that's a discrete conceptual entity.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, TenaciousG said:

Sheesh. On the plus side we might actually get the Sonics back before we get a hockey team name. 

It will be a front runner like Sockeyes or Kraken or (ugh) Steelheads, but I like the idea of a more recognizable animal such as:

Seattle Seals

Seattle Orcas

Seattle Sea Lions

Seattle Polar Bears

Also the name should be friendly to Alaskans... I want Seattle’s team to be their bandwagon team too

There are the Orlando solar bears which might as well be polar bears. That just shows you how JV it is

27 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Manitoba doesn't exist. I mean, the lines are there on the map, but Quebec is the only Canadian province that's a discrete conceptual entity.

Neat

On 1/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, TaylorMade said:

https://www.detroithockey.net/news/2020/01/21/speculation-on-nhl-seattles-final-five-names-cougars-emeralds-rainiers-sea-lions-sockeyes/

The speculation is that the final five are:

-Cougars  Emeralds  Rainiers  Sea Lions  Sockeyes

We know for sure, that there IS an official Final-Five list & it's encased in a time-capsule somewhere 🤨...

But, working off the above list...

- Cougars...Too lazy and generic.

- Rainiers...Ticks the Local-Content box nicely & ticks the Local-Content box nicely.

- Emeralds...I've always considered Emeralds and Evergreens to be in the same category: good, serviceable, green names - the least polarizing of all the options.

I'd definitely give the nod to Evergreens because I prefer the shortened 'Greens over the shortened 'Ems, and I like the possibility of pulling in a bit of a rustic, lumberjack vibe.

I'd also use a plaid element with the 'Greens, in the way that the RedBlacks of the CFL have done. Their fans have a lot of fun with that.

And if ANY team could rock a plaid...Seattle?!

Evergreens with a green (or double-green) & white colour combo would be pretty sharp!

(Hopefully it's a typo & the author of this list meant "Evergreens" 😉

- SeaLions...I'd be all in on the 'Lions...A nautical theme offers up a ton of imagery, icons, music, etc. to be used in promotions, merchandise, mascots...

A dark aqua/gold/white colour scheme would look real sharp with this, IMO.

- Sockeyes...Not my favourite, but if I were a betting man I'd put my stash on this name being the team name.

A lot of "clues" so far, point to this possibility, and I just get the feeling that Seattle might want to show the world that cultural appropriation can be done properly 😄.

(although they'd be off to a slow start as "Sockeye" is the english bastardization of the indigenous word(s) "Suk-kegh", meaning red-fish)

The colours of the franchise's website have been a salmon pink-red & light teal, and they have reached out to local indigenous artist Louis Gong. That story surfaced early in the process and has gone mysteriously quiet. I personally HATE the subliminal tee-hee reference to fighting in the game (Sock 'em in the eye, man), but many seem to get a kick out of it.

I'd focus less on the fish and maybe more on its outdoor environment with the logo. I do agree with IceCap that an indigenous fish design may be too similar in style and content to its closest rival's indigenous orca; but with very "opposite" colours, it could work, I guess...

My fave from the above list (and it's not even on the list, ha-ha 😆) is Evergreens. Go 'Greens Go!

Here's some pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

spacer.png

That's pretty kickass.  Who would vote against something so neat?

Pretty sure we aren't gonna get a logo as nice as either the SeaLions or Sockeye logos posted here...  Those are both incredible

Rainiers isn't going to happen.  They're not going to pick the name of a minor league baseball team in the metro area.

Just now, LMU said:

Rainiers isn't going to happen.  They're not going to pick the name of a minor league baseball team in the metro area.

Same with Emeralds, since that's an MiLB team in Oregon (Eugene, not Portland, but still). You'd likely be committing brand seppuku naming a Seattle team the Emeralds, since Washington and Oregon have a massive inbuilt hatred for each other when it comes to sports. The Sonics and Trailblazers were bitter rivals, the Ducks and Huskies have been rivals since 1900...generally speaking, Oregon sports fans and Washington sports fans have never been very fond of one another. Hell, the Emeralds and Rainiers are rivals in the MiLB already.

What's the most notable use of "Sockeyes" as a sports name? Like, I guess the Richmond Sockeyes, but the association with Emeralds is Oregon, and Washington doesn't like Oregon in any sport.

56 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Pretty sure we aren't gonna get a logo as nice as either the SeaLions or Sockeye logos posted here...  Those are both incredible

Who did that Sockeyes concept?  I can't find it in the 5 minutes I googled around.

The Seattle NHL account uses a Sockeye red color in their social media. Get ready for Sockeyes. 

I cannot believe that neither Seattle Kodiaks (Kodiak bear = grizzly)  or even better the Seattle Sasquatch has been an option. 

2 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

We know for sure, that there IS an official Final-Five list & it's encased in a time-capsule somewhere 🤨...

But, working off the above list...

- Cougars...Too lazy and generic.

- Rainiers...Ticks the Local-Content box nicely & ticks the Local-Content box nicely.

- Emeralds...I've always considered Emeralds and Evergreens to be in the same category: good, serviceable, green names - the least polarizing of all the options.

I'd definitely give the nod to Evergreens because I prefer the shortened 'Greens over the shortened 'Ems, and I like the possibility of pulling in a bit of a rustic, lumberjack vibe.

I'd also use a plaid element with the 'Greens, in the way that the RedBlacks of the CFL have done. Their fans have a lot of fun with that.

And if ANY team could rock a plaid...Seattle?!

Evergreens with a green (or double-green) & white colour combo would be pretty sharp!

(Hopefully it's a typo & the author of this list meant "Evergreens" 😉

- SeaLions...I'd be all in on the 'Lions...A nautical theme offers up a ton of imagery, icons, music, etc. to be used in promotions, merchandise, mascots...

A dark aqua/gold/white colour scheme would look real sharp with this, IMO.

- Sockeyes...Not my favourite, but if I were a betting man I'd put my stash on this name being the team name.

A lot of "clues" so far, point to this possibility, and I just get the feeling that Seattle might want to show the world that cultural appropriation can be done properly 😄.

(although they'd be off to a slow start as "Sockeye" is the english bastardization of the indigenous word(s) "Suk-kegh", meaning red-fish)

The colours of the franchise's website have been a salmon pink-red & light teal, and they have reached out to local indigenous artist Louis Gong. That story surfaced early in the process and has gone mysteriously quiet. I personally HATE the subliminal tee-hee reference to fighting in the game (Sock 'em in the eye, man), but many seem to get a kick out of it.

I'd focus less on the fish and maybe more on its outdoor environment with the logo. I do agree with IceCap that an indigenous fish design may be too similar in style and content to its closest rival's indigenous orca; but with very "opposite" colours, it could work, I guess...

My fave from the above list (and it's not even on the list, ha-ha 😆) is Evergreens. Go 'Greens Go!

Here's some pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Every aspect of this Sockeye identity (Primary, secondary, jerseys) is 100% money!!!

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Same with Emeralds, since that's an MiLB team in Oregon (Eugene, not Portland, but still). You'd likely be committing brand seppuku naming a Seattle team the Emeralds, since Washington and Oregon have a massive inbuilt hatred for each other when it comes to sports. The Sonics and Trailblazers were bitter rivals, the Ducks and Huskies have been rivals since 1900...generally speaking, Oregon sports fans and Washington sports fans have never been very fond of one another. Hell, the Emeralds and Rainiers are rivals in the MiLB already.

What's the most notable use of "Sockeyes" as a sports name? Like, I guess the Richmond Sockeyes, but the association with Emeralds is Oregon, and Washington doesn't like Oregon in any sport.

I get what you're saying here, but I don't think most people in Oregon would care as much as you think they would if the Seattle hockey team took the name of Eugene's short-season Single A baseball club. Might ruffle a few feathers in Eugene, certainly, and it might elicit some ire if they were to name themselves Ducks or Beavers or Blazers. But after spending the past 10 years in Portland, I'd be really surprised to hear if anybody there really groaned all that much if they called themselves the Emeralds.

Maybe it would be different if Portland had an NHL team. That massive hatred you speak of is pretty much limited to rivalries in which each state has a participant. I never ran into one person in Portland who hated the Mariners just because they were from Seattle. I think the same will be true of the NHL team, whether it's called the Emeralds or the Sockeyes or the Forest Ninjas. 

(FWIW, I'm pulling for Forest Ninjas, even though I know it will be Sockeyes.)

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Hell, the Emeralds and Rainiers are rivals in the MiLB already.

No, not really. The Eugene Emeralds are members of the Class A Short Season Northwest League, while the Tacoma Rainiers are members of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League.

Truth be told, Eugene-based minor league baseball teams have only played in the same league as either Seattle or Tacoma-based franchises eight times:

1969 - Eugene Emeralds and Tacoma Cubs - Triple-A Pacific Coast League
1970 - Eugene Emeralds and Tacoma Cubs - Triple-A Pacific Coast League
1971 - Eugene Emeralds and Tacoma Cubs - Triple-A Pacific Coast League
1972 - Eugene Emeralds and Tacoma Twins - Triple-A Pacific Coast League
1973 - Eugene Emeralds and Tacoma Twins - Triple-A Pacific Coast League
1974 - Eugene Emeralds and Seattle Rainiers - Class A Short Season Northwest League
1975 - Eugene Emeralds and Seattle Rainiers - Class A Short Season Northwest League
1976 - Eugene Emeralds and Seattle Rainiers - Class A Short Season Northwest League