Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, king_mahalo said:

The “PINK IS A GIRLS COLOR!!! IT DOESN’T BELONG IN SPORTS! ITS NOT INTIMIDATING!!!” crowd. 

I agree, though. It’s beautiful. 

It's not even pink, though.  That S logo is breathtaking. 

@sparky chewbarky 's work in Concepts has gone completely over my head.  He's done some absolutely incredible work.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

While it's good work from Sparky, I highly doubt that we would ever see anything like this on the NHL level. Shrinking it or making a black/white variant would eliminate a lot of the details in the logo. While it's less detailed than the Blackhawks' logo, some of the shading may hurt its ability for multiplatform use (avatars, print, black/white applications, etc.). 

1 minute ago, SFGiants58 said:

While it's good work from Sparky, I highly doubt that we would ever see anything like this on the NHL level. Shrinking it or making a black/white variant would eliminate a lot of the details in the logo. While it's less detailed than the Blackhawks' logo, some of the shading may hurt its ability for multiplatform use (avatars, print, black/white applications, etc.). 

It could be simplified though. 

Also I'm really pissed that those jerseys can't be made in NHL 20.

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

I agree that I'd be SHOCKED if they unveil anything remotely as good as this. I'm a casual hockey fan but I'd buy this jersey in a second. It's best I've see for Seattle anywhere. Wow.

pNcQ3aS.jpg

That is a great concept. However, I wonder what are the chances of having forest green instead of black? I think the "Sockeyes" can own a look consisting of salmon red with forest green and turquoise. An all-forest green 3rd would look gorgeous.

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Shrinking it, maybe. But you wouldn't lose anything in black and white other than color. It's perfectly design for one-color reproduction. Even the gray outline, changed to black, could be visible.

On 1/27/2020 at 6:41 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

That is a great concept. However, I wonder what are the chances of having forest green instead of black? I think the "Sockeyes" can own a look consisting of salmon red with forest green and turquoise. An all-forest green 3rd would look gorgeous.

On 6/6/2019 at 12:44 PM, Survival79 said:
  • 1995-96 through 2000-01 Seattle Supersonics Forest Green
  • 1992-93 through 1996-97 Vancouver Canucks Pacific Salmon Red
  • 2012 through Present New York Liberty Seafoam Green

spacer.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

I'll take sparky's salmony pink/seafoam/black over ^^ colors in a heartbeat. The above just looks like "what odd colors can we throw together to be different?"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I once read an article pointing out that "pink is a girls color" didn't really become a thing until the 80s, and that 100-150 years ago blue was a girls color because it was "cool" and pink fell into the "hot" red range. There were even military units back then that wore pink uniforms. Sorry I don't have a link, but it was an interesting read. 

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

it started earlier than that....from an article - http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/pink-used-common-color-boys-blue-girls/

In 1927, Time magazine printed a chart highlighting gender-appropriate colors for girls and boys according to leading U.S. retailers. Filene’s (in Boston), Best & Co. (in New York City), Halle’s (in Cleveland), and Marshall Field (in Chicago) all advised parents to dress boys in pink and girls in blue. Why did they care at all? It is generally thought it was simply because if parents followed such a color scheme, they would have to buy a whole new wardrobe and set of baby accessories in the “appropriate” colors if they had a boy and a girl at some point, rather than just going with reusing the one set for both as before.

For reasons unknown, this all started to change around the 1940s when clothing manufacturers decided on pink for girls and blue for boys. It has been suggested that boys simply like blue more and girls like pink more, but studies to date trying to see if this is true have come up with mixed results, except firmly showing that the vast majority of humans prefer blue to pink, and pink is actually one of the adult world’s least favorite colors. (As you might imagine, it’s difficult to perform large scale studies to determine if boys and girls are naturally predisposed to one color or another without the introduction of existing learned color biases, even in countries that don’t popularly follow the pink-girl/blue-boy scheme.)

This is fascinating. During my college years at the University of North Dakota, a school that's predominantly green and white, I was fascinated to learn that the original colors of UND were green and pink, an homage to the state flower, the prairie rose. And actually, pink and green remain the university's "official colors," though the color combination is apparently limited to certain ceremonial applications. 

Best I can tell, pink has never been applied at UND for use in athletics.

Syracuse University adopted "rose pink and pea green" as the university's colors in 1872. At that time Syracuse University didn't compete in intercollegiate athletics. Rather, soccer and boating were contested intramurally between classes, while baseball games were played against local amateur and professional teams.  While it's doubtful that uniforms of any color were procured by the school for inter-class soccer and boating competitions, there's an outside chance that pink and green uniforms might have been purchased for the team representing Syracuse in the baseball games.

Within a year, Syracuse's colors had been changed to "rose tint and azure". They would remain as such for 17 years, through 1889. In 1890, Syracuse University adopted orange as the school's official color. Soon thereafter, men's athletic teams became known as the Orange or Orangemen.

Archived